FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Gish
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Gish Reply with quote

Gish is looking really good, it's another really interesting indie game Very Happy :

Get the trailer (cool music) here:
http://www.chroniclogic.com/gish/gishtrailer01.mov (20 meg)
Bobacles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I checked out the site. It turns out that I get 8 1/2 lines of 6-pt. text per inch... I usually read my monitor at about 3 feet, so I can't see a dang thing. The flash window won't let me resize the text either. Crying or Very sad

I think their page design needs a little work.

In case you want to know, I have a 15" monitor, (13.5" viewable) running at 1024*768. Mozilla and XP increases the font sizes of everything else for me.
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting problem with their site is that it doesn't support non-Flash enabled browsers (I switch ActiveX controls off on general principle).

You should check the video out though, it's really cool.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

• Opens a new browser window: -5pts
  • Disables resizing on window: -10pts
  • Unreadable font: -15pts
  • No useful information available without Flash: -10pts
  • HTML content that is only accessible via Flash: -5pts
  • Text not accessible to screen-readers: -5pts*
  • Audio controls hidden behind secret panel: -10pts
  • Slow: -5pts
  • Keyboard navigation: +10pts
  • Unnecessary use of frames: -10pts
Total: -65pts

* - Would be more, but I doubt a partially-sighted individual will have any hope of playing the game anyway. Still, I object to the focused efforts of many websites to force the disabled off the web when it should be the one place they can be assured an equal footing. And besides, we're all disabled sometimes.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to forget that we are all pretty 'net savvy' though and that makes us 0.1% of internet users.

I'd bet most people have IE6 and flash installed and will think it's great. I'd like to use more flash on our website, and more will creep in in the future I'm sure, but I like to do it in a way that silently falls back to html-css-dhtml. I always think if you come to our site and it asks you to install flash then you might turn away. The one bit of flash on the home page should (if I tested it all correctly) just fall back to an image.
Bobacles

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The one bit of flash on the home page should (if I tested it all correctly) just fall back to an image.

Oh, yeah. I'd also like to add that Flash downloads are usually much bigger than the images they're made of. Modem users won't be happy if they have to wait too long just to see a page.

There's nothing flash navigation can do that an image, some text, and a few links can't. Although with flash, I'd be able to see JJ and Rin dance. Mr. Green

Flash games are a different matter. They often require the extra interaction of flash.

Just to clarify, I can read the text there, but it hurts to do so. I don't like reading below 12-pt. for quick reading, or less than the size where the text gets thicker, for long reading. (14-16pt.) But that's just me. Embarassed
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Weeble.

I'm running at low resolution and I have really good eyesight (when I lived in Colorado, I could look up to the top of South Table Mountain and see the power lines. Not just the towers, but the lines themselves), and the text on that page is *still* too small for me. There was a lot of unnecessary **** on that page...
X-Fighter
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lothar, I think you may be "farsighted", the condition where distant objects(like powerlines on mountains) can be seen in excessive detail, but nearby objects(like letters on your computer screen) tend to appear somewhat blurry.

I was a bit confused by the loading time... it took about 16 seconds to load each individual page, and somewhere around about a minute to load initially... the content doesn't seem like it should take anywhere near that long, so I'm honestly wondering what causes all of these delays. It's also especially odd that the flash's only purpose seems to be in making the loading bars move... that kind of circular logic is intriguing, yet pointless.

Lastly, if we're going to have dancing characters, there is only one thing I know we all want to see: Max getting down with his bad self, probably doing disco or the Charleston. Oh yeah, sex-ay!
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max is getting on a bit remember - he likes golden oldies like The Prodigy Very Happy
X-Fighter
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thought: How did Gish get fan art before they even released the playable demo, but SS has been around for over a year, and it took a ton of begging before any mercy-fan art was produced?
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XFighter, I also have extremely good vision at short distances. That site just has really teeny font, and it doesn't show up well on my $25 thrift-store low-resolution monitor.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gish really reminds me of a Spectrum game, but I can't for the life of me remember its name. I think you played a slug that could climb walls. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?
X-Fighter
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, but there is a legal archive of all the Spectrum games ever made. Maybe you can find it there?
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
Gish really reminds me of a Spectrum game

putty? (May have also been 'silly putty' as I think they got the license in the end).

Although I never played it, I heard good things about it.
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drgamer wrote:
The NON-flash version:
http://www.chroniclogic.com/index.htm?gish.htm

Bigger text to!

originally posted in another thread, I thought it would be better off in here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: