FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
last boss too hard <SPOILER>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completed my first game without realising that some of the weapons had charge modes. Ei the blasters and the lasers. Sure would have made some battles easier.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticheese wrote:
Err no, The EM blast is a part of the cutscene and is thus impossible to avoid.

To be fair - that's our fault. We should really define where the game ends and matters are taken out of your hands a little more clearly. Apologies to anyone we confused. I really would love to come back to the end sequence one day and spend some time 'tarting it up'. Since it would require zero input from Poo Bear, it's always going to be a possibility.

I think there's also an element of people thinking they can change the ending, thinking perhaps there's some alternate ending.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
I completely understand that, and think people want to make a difference. We received a couple of emails from people who were trying to find a way to ressurect Rin - which came down to them having some level of emotional attatchment to her (I'm not saying anything amazing of course, but it was unexpected.)
I also think we've been conditioned by tv and games to expect characters to return to life at some point. When we kill a character at Moonpod, they stay dead. As much as we love them...

I recently played Cave Story, and there's a death that occurs in that game that is really subtlely handled and made me genuinely sad. When I found out later you could stop that happening, it belittled my previous experience. (Great Game Though!!)
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cave Story (the game) and Orpheus and Eurydice (the Greek myth) spoilers: Spoiler (highlight to read):
I loved that in Cave Story. Bear in mind that unless you do things right from quite early on, Curly does become irreversibly dead. It's not just something you can come back and do just before the end of the game. It feels to me very much like an Orpheus and Eurydice story - it is a difficult and risky task to save her, and if, unlike poor Orpheus, you do succeed, it feels like a great accomplishment. Anyway, she's a robot. Robots are hard to properly kill.
oliverb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for pointing out that there was only one ending, I had wondered.

I think the trouble with that cutscene is that it just doesn't seem to advance the plot of the game. I mean at that point the game is over anyway.

Or maybe it's down to the basic rule of video games that cutscenes are best avoided.
oliverb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
That last point wouldn't be so much of a problem if you could see more of the boss while fighting. You tend not to actually see when you destroy the weak-spots.

I think the game needs bigger secondary explosions when you destroy a damage point on a boss ship, and decent secondary damage. I mean when you hit a weak spot it should go with a bang and leave peeled back metal and pipes, cables and other stuff underneath. This doesn't have to affect gameplay as the outline of the ship could stay the same, just make it look like you've done more than just scratch the paint.

Like when you destroy an arm of the first boss it just sort of vanishes, I think it should drift away trailing explosions.
tieron_asaki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliverb wrote:
Weeble wrote:
That last point wouldn't be so much of a problem if you could see more of the boss while fighting. You tend not to actually see when you destroy the weak-spots.

I think the game needs bigger secondary explosions when you destroy a damage point on a boss ship, and decent secondary damage. I mean when you hit a weak spot it should go with a bang and leave peeled back metal and pipes, cables and other stuff underneath. This doesn't have to affect gameplay as the outline of the ship could stay the same, just make it look like you've done more than just scratch the paint.

Like when you destroy an arm of the first boss it just sort of vanishes, I think it should drift away trailing explosions.

Your arm comment is spot-on... but the other thing about the pipes and cables...

These badguys don't necessarily use pipes or cables... what if their ships are biomechanical... grown instead of built? What if they have better system integration into the body of the ship than humans?

Most people, when they think secondary damage, they take what they know of human-constructed ships in human-created fantasy realms of Science Fiction shows. A truly alien race to humanity probably would have a much different way of approaching the same concept (i.e. building a starship).

"Thinking outside the box only works if you leave the lid off."

-???
No.118

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, for pipes and cables read veins and arteries. Splurting blood!

Besides, since the Arachnid are themselves machine-organic hybrids, it seems unlikely that their ships would be entirely organic.
confused5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: 2 pence Reply with quote

Really? it seems to me that you can shoot at the drones all day and more keep arriving.
Anticheese

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.118 wrote:
In that case, for pipes and cables read veins and arteries. Splurting blood!

Besides, since the Arachnid are themselves machine-organic hybrids, it seems unlikely that their ships would be entirely organic.

The Arachnid are only biomechanical because the obligatory "Precursor" race merged with their machines, If that did not happen then they would just be run of the mill service droids.

I do like the idea of the arm spinning off, I'm thinking of a more dramatic version of the Weird Worlds death sequence..

As for character deaths?

In Deus Ex there is a level where your brothers apartment is being raided by special ops troopers, If you leave the apartment via the window he dies, No matter how many troopers you killed - And yet if you giblitize yourself you awaken nice and happy in a prison cell with your brother in the medbay. Wierd.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can also fight your way out the front exit and make it to battery park where gunther will capture you and take you to the MJ12 base.

It doesn't really matter what you do but if you go out the window than paul will die.

MWAHAHAHAHA
Anticheese

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.

Men in black - > UNATCO Troopers - > Security Bots - > Riot Cops - > More UNATCO Troopers - > Freaky german cyborg.

The buck stops here.

I wonder what would have happened if there were a way to get to the 'Copter...
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticheese wrote:

Men in black - > UNATCO Troopers - > Security Bots - > Riot Cops - > More UNATCO Troopers - > Freaky german cyborg.

You forgot the freaky Israeli cyborg. You fight anna in the subway if you didden't gib her in the jet.

If i made Deus Ex you would be able to kill gunther and take the chopper strait to tongs place.
this would of corse bypass the MJ-12 lab and a good portion of the HK missions so there would be new levels to replace it.
I would also have storylines for staying with UNATCO or going on the 747 with Paul and Lebedev.
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 pence Reply with quote

confused5 wrote:
Really? it seems to me that you can shoot at the drones all day and more keep arriving.

The end boss will only pump out 1000 drones.

Other ships (like the zone 3 miniboss) will spit out infinite numbers.

The drones are not organic. Only the bosses (the Rendon critter, for example) are partly organic.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well biomass is probably the most valuble resorce in gridspace. (the native lifeforms are plasma based) The archnid would probably go nuts over a potato.
Anticheese

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only Starscape were more data orientated, Then I could make a Spud Cannon.

"This exotic (to the Archnid at least) piece of weaponary fires a small cylinder shaped biological construct - Or in simple terms a hydroponic potato.

This weapon will cause most nearby Archnid ships to stop what they are doing and pick up this valuable item."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: