FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Level editor and multiplayer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  Is a level editor a good idea?  

Yup, sounds cool
77%
 77%  [ 7 ]
No, it doesn't fit in
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
No I'd rather decorate a cake
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
exploding clams are healthy
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 9  

Author

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Level editor and multiplayer Reply with quote

I don't think a level editor has been discussed and I thought it would be interesting even though I'm not sure it will fit in anywhere.

As for multiplayer, wouldn't it be cool to play long term games with multiple people as you expand your empire and interact with other empires? You could side with Bob at first but then stab him in the back Twisted Evil and help Pavlo because Pavlo is a cool name Smile . And one game could go on for Months! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Edit: I apologise for the dumb pole options, I was very tired at the time.

Last edited by Harabek on Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A level editor would be cool, just depends how long we have and where the resources (our manpower) need to go. I wish the US$ was actually worth something in the UK Crying or Very sad

Same thing applies to multiplayer - it would be great, but it takes time and resources.

Sad fact is the majority of people buying ANY game (unless it is online only) just wont bother with editors and multiplayer. The even sadder fact is those same people will actually be swayed by the presence of those features (i.e. they are more likely to buy your game if it has them).

What a dilema!

Then there is the gameplay problem, if some of the main features of this game are going where you like, training army commanders to fight on their own, customising units to your own specification, pruning your cities, making alliances and pursuing political struggles....etc. What happens when you get online? Is it the same game, how would it work?

Saw a similar thing while looking at the online FPS game "Soldner". I was busy looking in the armoury and deciding what weapons to buy (a nice feature), when 3 guys jump me from behind and take me out and there was nothing I could do. My view was obscured by menus and I couldn't move - not good.

The easy answer is to cut away anything that doesn't easily transfer from single player to multi-player, but then your multiplayer game ends up nothing special. The more expensive answer is to spend a long time play testing and implementing the multiplayer game and make sure the features that define your game as "special" still exist and still work.

and yes, a campaign mode that could be saved, restarted, number of players changed, lasted a long time (maybe even indefinitely) would be great.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the leval editor would be a good idea and when you make a map it should have the option of making a single map or a campain which can be a small map or a hole planit

and multiplay campaign would be cool espeshaly with a save option
Harabek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that would be awesome but it would also be very time consuming. I just like the idea of a never ending political and military battle with my friends.

Icarus, it's "especially".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: