FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Other Games Like Starscape
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Other Games Like Starscape Reply with quote

I LOVED starscape, but it doesnt look like htere will be expansions, a second one or anything, so i was wondering if any knew of any other games like starscape...
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't really anything like it that I can think of (which i think is a good thing).

StarControl2 is vaugely similar but it is a bit old and doesn't work on win2000 or winXP afaik.

EV:Nova is also similar but a bit more storey, a bit less arcadey, a bit more Elitey - i liked it though, it is discussed in this thread.

http://www.moonpod.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=455
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: starscape Reply with quote

... of course, the easy solution would be for someone to create an expansion pack. HINT HINT. Wink
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: starscape Reply with quote

Lothar wrote:
... of course, the easy solution would be for someone to create an expansion pack. HINT HINT. Wink

Well, we have lots of different plans for Starscape, but we are hesitant to promise anything. Obviously, at the moment, we are concentrating on Battlescape, but once that's done we'll have to have a think about what is next. It would be great to keep adding stuff, but that's partly the problem, I genuinely (and I know this goes for Goober and Poo Bear) love Starscape, and I love working on it; more so than any other game I've made. It's really easy to come up with great ideas for it, and keep getting sucked back in. All I can say is: the more comfortable we get financially, the more this sort of thing is likely to happen, as we'll have less pressure to work on the next game. At the moment things are ok, and we've ironed out a lot of the problems with advertising etc, so all we need to do is get more games done!
oxide7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt this is possible since the game is sold.

but would it be possible to make a type of game editor so the people could make content? maps, ship and items... doubtful but worth asking.

thanks poobear for the links ill check them out, but im gonna keep playing starscape its too fun! i love customizing and researching too bad i have aall the pieces... =(

ive already got some ships and more items drawn up, too bad my programming has suffered too much in the last 2 years (marine corps took 1 year, the tech schooling the rest) i should get back into it...
oxide7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW poobear have you tried x2:the threat, i played the demo (altho the keys SUCK) it seems worthwhile...
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxide7 wrote:
but would it be possible to make a type of game editor so the people could make content? maps, ship and items... doubtful but worth asking.

This would come under the umbrella of 'modding' which has come up several times before. (search for modding on the board and you'll unearth a lot of stuff).
It's got a lot against it:
  • We'd only do it if we could provide good support for it (we were asked to dump it as it is, and let people hack away, but we don't believe in that)
  • It's a feature that a very very small proportion of users would use (Although conversely all users benefit from what they do).
  • It's not Battlescape Very Happy and we really want to get on with that.
  • Starscape is inherently very mod unfriendly and changing small things can upset many other painstakingly balanced parts. We'd want to at least put some helpful messages in so if anyone broke somehting they would know why.

On the plus side:
We like modding, and if we can we'll do it at some point. It may be that this would be better in future games though rather than bolted on to Starscape. We are trying to consider this more with Battlescape where time allows for instance.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxide7 wrote:
BTW poobear have you tried x2:the threat, i played the demo (altho the keys SUCK) it seems worthwhile...

demo = http://www.fileplanet.com/files/130000/137553.shtml

I bought the first game and enjoyed it up to a point, managing lots of different factories and ferrying cargo between them became a real pain after a while. X2 was supposed to have automation facilities to get rid of all that so it sounded promising.

1. Getting it to run at a decent framerate, they've put a lot of graphical features into that game and you need some decent hardware to appreciate it.

2. They have added a lot of cinemtic sequences and I just didn't think they were done very well. Bad character models, voice synching, inability to skip some bits and I found the story difficult to follow and a bit uninteresting.

3. Navigating around was an issue in the first game because you have to get close before you can lock onto an object and see what it is. The new game seems to have just made it worse, you have a map but it doesn't fill it all in until you have been up to the objects and identified them. This all seems to get tedious when you have been asked to go to specific locations to fullfill a mission. I was spending ~10mins just flying around trying to work out where the specific space station was, maybe I just wasn't getting it.
Dunbar

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
There isn't really anything like it that I can think of (which i think is a good thing).

StarControl2 is vaugely similar but it is a bit old and doesn't work on win2000 or winXP afaik.

My apologies for bringing up an old thread, but I love starcontrol 2. If any of you out there haven't played it, please do. Definitely one of the greatest games of all time. When I first tried the demo of Starscape it reminded me strongly of SC2, so I just had to have the full game.

SC2 can be played on newer versions of windows, but you need dosbox to get it to work. You can get dosbox here:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

And read more about SC2 here:

http://www.classicgaming.com/starcontrol/

If you enjoy starscape (and who doesn't?) you'll enjoy SC2. And hey, it's something to tide you over until battlescape comes out, right?
Chibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: No clue what this game is... Reply with quote

I played a game a while back that was a LOT like a three dimensional version of Starscape crossed with Homeworld.

If ANYONE knows what it was, please let me know.

You can tell it apart from everything else INSTANTLY by the way the interface is: When you bring the mouse to the top, bottom, left, or right side of the screen, the panels tilt up. When you move the mouse back into the view, the panels tilt back down.

It starts out near the earth, and there's some hyperspace warp wormhole gate thing, and they warp out successfully to the nearest star system or SOMEWHERE and they lose this scientist guy or something and some aliens attack and you can fly to different planets and see the orbits of the whole system and build space stations out of components and junk.

If you've ever heard of it, I'm going crazy at google searching fruitlessly, and I probably still will be by the time you reply.
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: FOUND IT!! Reply with quote

Check out this screenshot for a game called FarGate.

I think I was looking for it one day and accidentally found StarScape. Starscape made me so happy, I bought StarScape, but I never lost sight of this game... *goes and buys this one* Razz

"Far Gate is a real-time strategy game set in space. It features real-time rendered 3D graphics and a true 3D environment in which to wage wars and conquer solar systems. The game lets you take control of 75 different vessels from 3 different races. Your goal is to lead the Proximan colonists to safety, back to Terra to bring your vengeance to bear on those who have betrayed them."
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Artinum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunbar wrote:
My apologies for bringing up an old thread, but I love starcontrol 2. If any of you out there haven't played it, please do. Definitely one of the greatest games of all time. When I first tried the demo of Starscape it reminded me strongly of SC2, so I just had to have the full game.

I fell in love with a demo of that game on a friend's computer at school(gosh, how long ago was THAT?). Those Spathi Eluders were cool. I was very surprised when I found the full game on CD in a little computer shop in Luton.

Let's see. Top down view of ships. Mining for resources. Modular ship design allows you to fit a variety of weapons. Battles against an alien force out to enslave/destroy the galaxy. Very similar, actually! But a very different style...

Ever complete it, Dunbar? Those end credits were insane!
Artinum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to the original reason for this thread, I thought I'd mention Flatspace (by Cornutopia Software). Find out more at:

http://www.lostinflatspace.com/

In some ways it has a lot in common - the top-down style view, the hypergrid that bears some similarity to the nodes, even the mining scoops operate a bit like the gravity beams (though watch out for those real-world physics...!). In other ways, it's a very different game. While there is combat (pirates will attack, or you can hunt ships yourself) the emphasis is on exploring the Flatspace universe. You can ferry people and packages rather like Frontier: Elite II, or just explore.

There is no real way to "win" in Flatspace, unless you want to embark on the quest for the four parts to the Fractal Dimensional Hyperdrive. Instead, try your hand at mining, or trading, or bounty hunting. Join the police force. Or just save up your cash for that Triquoquaric Annihilator.

I'd be interested to know if anyone here has seen/played/bought Flatspace and what they think/thought of it.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artinum wrote:
I'd be interested to know if anyone here has seen/played/bought Flatspace and what they think/thought of it.

Flatspace has already been mentioned on this forum here
so you might get a few impressions of the game from that thread. I have to admit I've only played the demo myself and since then it's been on my 'must play' list for quite some time (The one bad point about starting Moonpod is we've not had as much free time to play games - I'd hate for us to lose sight of what we originally set out to do, I've seen many people at games companies who don't even play games - which is really sad,)

I will say that Mark Sheeky who wrote Flatspace is a great guy - you can be sure of top rate customer service from him.
ZWing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: About Starcontrol 2 Reply with quote

Hello guys & gals. My first post here.

About those who are interested in playing Starcontrol 2, there is a SourceForge project that is aimed at converting the original 3DO (Console) version to the PC. The difference between the PC version you can buy and this port is that the port features dialogues and music that is recorded. I have both the PC and the 3DO versions and I must say the port is pretty damn good.

The game itself is really fun with a lot of investigative stuff going on and a lot of nice 'ol arcade space battles. There is a lot to do and a clock ticking. Try it!

Edit : Forgot the SourceForge link!

Linkage : http://sc2.sourceforge.net/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: