FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
I just thought you'd like to know...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> General View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: I just thought you'd like to know... Reply with quote

I contacted the Argonne National Laboratory, people who live or die by how correct their physics calculations are, day in and day out, and consequently, by virtue of their functions, so do other people. Established by government charter in 1946, they've been doing scientific calculations longer than most people on this forum have even been alive. The research done here has been home to tens of thousands of the brightest scientific minds, including a Nobel prize winner, and has effected everything from Aerospace engineering to Nuclear reactors, weapons, and atomic structure theories.

If anyone can be an authority on physics, it's them.

This is what they had to say about the stupid airplane anchor question. You'll note that they elaborated greatly, but basically, I was correct. Have fun reading it, trolls.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/webpages/askasci/eng99/eng99289.htm
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you can ask someone whith comin sence and he will tell you the cable would pull the plane in half or snap or pull of the tank or not puncture the plane
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: I just thought you'd like to know... Reply with quote

X-Fighter wrote:
You'll note that they elaborated greatly, but basically, I was correct.

and I quote "I think this is a wildcard move that should almost never do a predictable thing".

So in actual fact we were all wrong, and all right. The set of equally likely outcomes are plane into the ground, plane blows up, tank blows up, tank goes flying off, cable snaps and tank/plane disintegrate.

10 points to XFighter for going to the effort of getting scientific feedback, -10 points to XFighter for interpreting the answer in his own favour. Rolling Eyes
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I just thought you'd like to know... Reply with quote

X-Fighter wrote:
I contacted the Argonne National Laboratory, people who live or die by how correct their physics calculations are, day in and day out, and consequently, by virtue of their functions, so do other people. Established by government charter in 1946, they've been doing scientific calculations longer than most people on this forum have even been alive.

I contacted Sir Isaac Newton, from beyond the grave, using a well respected medium. He was quite chatty, and said we were right all along, and that you didn't really need to do any calculations.

Problem here is that you haven't adequately described the situation, and parameters, and so have an answer that doesn't really say anything and is vague enough for you to interpret at will.

I'll just say this: Ignoring all the problems that would occur we are perfectly happy in what we believe to be true, and nothing you have said has changed that.

If you aren't convinced, then the only thing I can suggest is to try asking your new friends a simpler question such as:

'A bullet, of mass 100 grams, is fired exactly horizontally out of a gun, attached by a string to the bullet is a 1Kg weight. Is it possible, if the bullet were travelling fast enough, that the weight will be moved vertically?or will it just be dragged horizontally along the ground.'

If they answer yes, then look into their reasons why it would travel vertically. This appears to be the area of mechanics that you think we have got wrong, and we think you are missing. I think if we could sort that one point out, then it would unravel the whole issue for you.

Also, understand, that we're not saying this because we want to finally be proved right, we don't care about that kind of kudos, that would be sad. We just think it would be beneficial for you to know, since we still think you have made a small mistake.

If you find the above situation to be possible, then don't feel the need to post if you are embarrased, although you shouldn't be, 'the man who admits error is a man of great worth'. If you decide, that the above is incorrect; we'll just have to disagree on the matter, as you won't change our minds.

..locks thread, and runs... Shocked
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: