FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
VB C++
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  what is better for making games VB or C++  

VB
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
C++
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]

Total Votes : 8  

Author

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been partial to compilers, even though my programming roots stem from qbasic - I remember I had a really old interactive adventure book that asked you to code certain programs they'd tell you to write to keep up with the storyline - I thought it was awesome. But that's all I've found interpreters to be good for - most of the stuff I use Python for has to have a simple or 'boring' purpose, or I get memory leaks everywhere and that's no fun (continuous parsing of web data, yeah I know other languages do it better). I read STYC++ too, now only if I could get the time to learn the graphics libraries, I might be able to do something competent Wink .
oasion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of visual C++ did you use for starscape?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visual Studio .Net 2003 but I'm only using that because I started the project with it, I don't change tools part way through a project. On the next game I'll be using the new version.
oasion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also what did you use to do the graphics for Starscape
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasion wrote:
also what did you use to do the graphics for Starscape

Wings3D and Photoshop. Models were then pumped out through our (then) prototype 3D engine at 2x size, and scaled down. To be honest, that was a pretty rubbish way to do things - you could use any rendering package to do a nicer job lighting stuff, but I liked they ability to just send a model to a commandline app, and have it generate all the rotation frames.

A little bit more info here and here
Rup

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
Visual Studio .Net 2003 but I'm only using that because I started the project with it, I don't change tools part way through a project. On the next game I'll be using the new version.

One thing with VS2005: I don't think the new version of the runtime library supports 95/98/ME (or NT4). There was an article in MSDN about this but I can't find it now. Hopefully that isn't too much of your market.

And if you use the runtime's merge modules to distribute it then you'll need MSI 3.1 on the target system, to understand the new "install in SxS" MSI instruction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: