FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Mass Effect 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Mass Effect 3 Reply with quote

The Mass Effect series are one of my all time favourites, I even bought a T-Shirt Smile However, I just got stuck for 3 hours on the 'saving Jack and the students from cerberus at the academy' mission. Either I'm dong something wrong or they've upped the difficulty in this game?

There are some enemy types that seem to follow the annoying design path of 'just being rock hard'. Saying that, I don't seem to have any biotic powers yet, my squad mates do, but not many. I keep thinking maybe your supposed to be throwing these guys about rather than shooting them.

Engineer - sets up auto guns everywhere that can only be dealt with by unloading a ton of lead into them.

Commando - chucks grenades at you constantly and takes about two clips to bring down.

Mechs - ridiculously tough, all three of you have to unload into them for absolutely ages to bring them down.

Shield men - I really don't like these guys, they carry a big dustbin lid in front of them and shuffle towards you. Have to use a grenade to get them to drop it, but they'll only drop it for a few seconds.

I think what made that level worse was that it wasn't clear where you should be going and there were enemies above and below. Plus, you couldn't hunker down in one position, because there were so many tough targets you just run out of ammo. You need to keep moving to find new ammo supplies, it feels a bit of a warn out idea to me that you don't carry enough ammo. I mean, 4 grenades, come on, I can carry more than that, just give me a carrier bag with another 10 in Wink

The mission after that was really easy which is why I'm thinking this one may be a bit broken. If it was meant to be attempted later then why not clearly mark it as such, you can't start a mission and then abort. If I am configured incorrectly, then the game design doesn't really allow for easy re-configuration, I can't change who came on the mission without going back to a previous save and I can't re-configure my abilities either.
Rup

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mass Effect 3 Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
I just got stuck for 3 hours on the 'saving Jack and the students from cerberus at the academy' mission.

Yeah, that's where I gave up trying to do my second play-though on insanity. I think part of the problem is that I took EDI along because you've just got her, but she's not that tough really. I also had Liara who does have fairly useful biotics but dies easily. (Maybe James would have been a better choice?)

It sounds like you are using grenades effectively, which I didn't bother for a while - they are really useful. You're just going to have to get used to enemies chucking grenades at you unfortunately - the basic Reaper forces, Cannibals and the Turian-one - do lots too.

Shield men - you can, if you're careful, snipe them through the slot in the shield (there's an achievement for this). But if you've got Liara then her singularity is probably the easiest way to deal with them - either that or flank them. You can usually snipe their feet even when they're ahead of you too.

I believe this mission is time-limited too - you have to take it immediately or before you complete two or three more or you'll have failed it - so you can't get too much tougher first.

Annoyingly my SSD died and took my ME3 saves with it. I might pick it up again at some point but if anything that's a good thing as I don't really have time to play it :-/

If you haven't played multiplayer, BTW, it's really good fun. I don't generally play online multiplayer nowadays since I don't have time to invest in getting good but this is co-op so not too much pressure. Hosting the game yourself seems to make a big difference but I'm not sure my usual kit (2009 laptop) is up to it.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played ME2 ignoring my squad mates, I'm a hard *** sniper rifle user at heart. I've been trying to play ME3 the same way and I think that is the problem. I brought Liara into the squad and made a point of using her singularity and that helped a lot, although she does die annoyingly often.

I'm trying to max out my renegade rating too - kill'em all!! Wink

Great game Smile
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished ME3, what a great achievement those 3 games are Smile

There seems a great deal of angst about the ending, being an avid reader of scifi it did seem quite familiar. I can understand people had higher hopes and wanted something that cleverly reflected all the choices they had made so they could replay the game many times. Still, it wasn't that bad?

An extra ending is available to download, I haven't had it yet as I wanted to play the original, but I'll certainly take a look although it apparently doesn't change anything just embellishes it.
Rup

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the ending was fine as-is - you've defeated the reapers, defeated the Illusive Man (although I was expecting more from that) and learned more about the citadel. I'm not sure what else we're going to get from the new ending pack -

Spoiler (highlight to read):
I'd gotten the impression that most if not all of the rest of your team were killed in the final assault, or certainly your two squadmates that you took to fight the reaper guarding the teleporter at least. After all you said your goodbyes on the ground before that battle, and the galaxy is left in shreds: even if they did survive, there's not a huge lot more story you can tell for them.

I'll have to play through again when I can find time, but that's probably months away.

I think the games get better through the series, but I think it helps having played the earlier ones - if someone was coming to the series fresh I'm not sure where I'd recommend they start.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spent 4 hours downloading 2Gig of extra ending, not hugely impressed I have to say. The ending is the same, just some extra footage of the other game characters. No more than about 2 mins though, I suppose they must have recorded it for every possible combination of outcomes.

Free, so can't complain Smile
Rup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they've said there's lots of permutations to encourage you to play through and make different decisions. I'm not sure I have the patience or time. There's also supposedly a new fourth ending decision choice if you have enough effective military strength at that point, but it doesn't go well.

I will download it and play again sooner or later, but I'll need to find 2GB of space on my laptop first :-/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: