FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Devolution
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> General View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Devolution Reply with quote

Considering the new 'rise of the planet of the apes' film, surely that first ape should be put in again at the end?

Johnh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to point out that the reason why we have problems with obesity is because evolution did not have enough time to modify our instincts for a food-rich and sedentary lifestyle. Think about it - for millions of years, our ancestor's primary concern was finding food to eat. This changed about 50 years ago with the advent of factory farming, and the Green Revolution.

Suddenly food is cheap and plentiful. If you live in a developed nation, you essentially don't have to worry about food - even if you do not have a job. Our instincts do all in their power to guarantee that we eat as much food as we possibly can - our brain ignore's the stomache's "fullness" signal for about a half hour before it allows us to feel "full". It tells us to eat as much as we possibly can, for fear that we won't have another chance to eat for several days.

Yet we always have something to eat every day. This is less about human stupidity, IMO, and more about evolution's ability to adapt to the sudden changes brought about by human technology.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, evolution has managed the planet quite nicely for 4billion years, but has no chance of keeping up with us now. Some kind of mass education / enlightenment policy is in order.

p.s. I am currently on a diet (again) Sad
Rup

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at a talk given by a nutriotionist who thinks that sugar is the root of all evil: a few hundred years ago we simply couldn't eat as much sugar we do now (foraging for berries is inefficient, meat or bread are much better sources of food) and he said insulin spikes from eating sugar do you the most harm. He also said that sugar is probably responsible for cancer (!) when sugar reacts with DNA in your blood, etc., and I'm not sure I believe him that far. Some of his general tips were things like only eat things that your ancestors would recognise as food and try to eat foods with fewest ingredients, no ingredients you can't pronounce, etc.

I'm supposed to be running my first half marathon in seven weeks. Thanks to a dodgy ankle and being trapped in the office - I've been there a month now and I still don't have a security pass - I've not been getting out running enough and I'm too slow and too fat still :-/
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Only eat food where you recognise the ingredients. Don't eat things we weren't really meant to eat i.e. large amounts of meat, lots of sugar, heavily processed food.' - I think that is great advice, now if only I could follow it. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: