FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Wii U - have Nintendo done it again?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Wii U - have Nintendo done it again? Reply with quote

The new console and once again I'm surprised by what Nintendo have done.

A graphics demonstration, nothing particularly amazing, just shows it's capable of DX10 class horsepower i.e. an average PC. That doesn't sound great, but it is for Nintendo, it shows it's a HD capable console with decent grunt.

It feels like a surprise and Nintendo now lead the pack purely on their ability to entice the public, not gamers, into buying devices that are demonstrably different, intriguing, fun, etc. Massive screen DSi, wavey controller, pressure mat fitness game, 3D DSi. This new one is really just offering people a cheap tablet (i.e. you can sit back and play games while others watch TV, make video calls, browse the net, watch youtube, etc). So, this doesn't feel quite so innovative to me. It's well timed to catch people's interest in all thing tablet. It makes sense. I suspect the public will be less 'ooh, how clever, how does it work, how odd' and they'll be more like 'ooh I always fancied a tablet and that's quite cheap and hte kids can play on it too'.

It immediately looks a bit awkward when you see people using it as a traditional controller. I've heard the console with one controller will be 250. Sounds like good value, but the console is still a Wii, you can still hook wavey controllers up to it, Nintendo have been using off the shelf cheap components for years (cpu and gpu) so I'm sure this will be much more powerful than a Wii, but still cheap to make. That controller though, how cheap will that be? The games running on the handset are not HD and aren't complicated, so I bet they're working hard to keep costs down i.e. low(ish) rez screen, resistive rather than capacitive (push a bit harder) and weak CPU. So the questions are 1. will it be good enough (cheap tablets are awful to use) 2. how much to buy another two of them. Wii succeeds purely on the ability of people to play together. If the controller is 150 a go then that will be a problem, but can it be decent quality and still only cost 50?? Surely not?

It immediately opens the door for games where each player holds limited or secret information, now that is really cool and it means a lot of new game genres - woo!
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha - the tablet could be fairly cheap and still work well, all the processing is done on the main console, the tablet is just displaying compressed video generated by the console in real time i.e. just like OnLive. Very clever. That means it only needs memory/cpu/gpu grunt enough to decompress video, so cheap hardware and it should help battery life.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you have more than one controller? I thought I heard that only one can be used. That would be sad - it excludes a lot of the interesting "secret information" game ideas.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it would place quite a workload on the console if you had 4 people playing and it was rendering to the tv, then rendering, compressing and transmitting 4 smaller screens worth of data too. Odd move by Nintendo if that is the case, the Wii is the ultimate 'all the family' console.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, if you own an ipad, then after ios5 comes out you'll be able to do what WiiU is doing a full year before WiiU ships - eek! If you own an ipad you can buy a $99 apple tv media player (which downloads and plays music/movies) and then games can stream content to the media player which then appears on the TV. It's like a WiiU in reverse. The first example is 'Real Racing 2HD'. You control the game with the ipad and it displays a map and other info to the device, but you play on the TV and of course at the flick of a button you can go back to playing on the tablet. Plus, it's 1080p.

There are something like 35million ipad2s out already and the games cost a few dollars, it remains to be seen how many games will be released supporting that feature.

And don't forget OnLive! Remember that thing where you buy a cheap set top box ($99 I think) and it streams games to the TV that would need a $1000 PC. Well, by the end of the year they will also have WiiU style functionality. If you have an Android/ios tablet you can stream a game to the TV or directly to the tablet, you can use the tablet as the controller. Doh!

Bad news for Nintendo? Well, their share price fell by 7% to pre-Wii levels of 2006 - eek!
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gets worse:

'Our basic premise is that you can use one with a system. If we got to an idea of having multiple (controllers) it might be just more convenient for people to use their Nintendo 3DS and have a way to connect that.
That being said, we are doing research about if someone brings their controller to their friends house and they want to play together on Wii U to whether or not something like that would be possible.'

So as it stands, you can only use ONE of these controllers at a time. This just doesn't sound like a good idea.
Johnh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
It gets worse:

'Our basic premise is that you can use one with a system. If we got to an idea of having multiple (controllers) it might be just more convenient for people to use their Nintendo 3DS and have a way to connect that.
That being said, we are doing research about if someone brings their controller to their friends house and they want to play together on Wii U to whether or not something like that would be possible.'

So as it stands, you can only use ONE of these controllers at a time. This just doesn't sound like a good idea.

If that is true, then that is a VERY bad move by Nintendo. This would severely hamper the multiplayer capabilities of the system. One of the Wii's strongest things going for it was the multiplayer aspect. The Wii had the best party games, and only having one controller for the system is a bad idea.

Actually, while the idea is novel, I shudder to think of the cost of one of those controllers. Remember: Nintendo has a corporate policy to NEVER sell a product at a loss. ON top of this, streaming video is either going to take up a lot of wireless bandwidth or a lot of processing power on both the Wii U and on the controller. Nintendo will have to pick their poison carefully.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this could be a communication failure. Maybe WiiU is really just a 'better Wii', the base unit still works with wand controllers and runs all the old games. Maybe the tablet is just a little bonus feature that lets you keep playing while someone else watches telly. They could even have the tablet as an optional accessory.
Johnh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
I think this could be a communication failure. Maybe WiiU is really just a 'better Wii', the base unit still works with wand controllers and runs all the old games. Maybe the tablet is just a little bonus feature that lets you keep playing while someone else watches telly. They could even have the tablet as an optional accessory.

I doubt it. Remember that the Wii U is supposed to have greatly improved graphical capabilities over the Wii (though still probably inferior to the Xbox 360, we'll find out when someone is finally able to crack one of these open and poke around at its guts).

I seriously hope that Nintendo is gonna try to squeeze out enough wireless/cpu bandwidth to make at least two of these controllers work on the same console at once. Only having one work at a time completely defeats the purpose of having a personal screen to play on, sans situations where someone else in the house wants to use watch a movie/cable/satellite on the gaming TV.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it, there may still be quite a few interesting things to be done with the controller in asymmetric multiplayer games. For one thing, you can do games like Pacman Vs without being limited to the subset of console owners that also have a GBA and system-link cable. But with the touch screen, that player also has a much richer possible control system. Imagine playing Dungeon Keeper with the touch-screen player being the dungeon-keeper and the others controlling the heroes. Or something cooperative, where the touchscreen player takes on a coordinating/navigating/support role while the others take on action roles. (Perhaps a bit like the way the marines work in Natural Selection?)
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point, could make a very nice D&D like experience. Doesn't make for a good non-gamer family advert though. I suppose there are quiz games and party games that use one player as the 'director', but then you must have at least three players for it to be fun.
hair65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: nike shoes and wigs Reply with quote

www.google.com online shopping human hair wigs and nike shoes for discount.wholesale lace front wigs and cheap nike air max shos online.where to buy high quality synthetic wigs and roshe run shoes is a best choice.
human hair wigs
cheap lace front wigs
full lace wigs
lace front wigs
cheap human hair wigs
cheap synthetic wigs
cheap wigs for women
cheap bob wigs
african american wigs cheap
afro wigs cheap
cheap full lace wigs
cheap curly wigs
cheap cosplay wigs
cheap wigs for men
cheap costume wigs
cheap hair extensions

cheap nike shoes
nike air max
nike air max 90
nike air max 90 womens white
white roshes mens
roshes women
cheap air max 90
air max 270 mens
nike air max 1 mens
cheap nikes online
nike sb janoski
nike skateboarding shoes
nike air force one men
nike air force 1 low
black huaraches
nike huarache women
air max 270
air max sale
nike air max sale
air jordan 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: