FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Halo Reach
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Halo Reach Reply with quote

After being a little disappointed by ODST, I'd assumed that Halo was just for multiplayer fanatics, which I'm most certainly not. Reach is proving Halo can still cut it single player though. It's a technical marvel, the opening scenes show you flying towards a gorgeous planet, and descending through the atmosphere. I immediately though - YES, I want Elite, but looking like this!!! Once on the surface it's familiar good dynamic Halo shooting, but with everything looking really lovely. It gave me a real AVATAR feeling for some reason, the look of the mountainous terrain, wildlife running around and hanging out of an open helicopter.

The basic combat is very familiar, but the setting of being part of a squad of Spartans is a great idea, feels fresh, each Spartan has his own customised armour and it didn't take long for me to find that I too can customise my armour by spending credits earned in game for cool helmets, pads, logos and colour schemes.

One addition that made me shout for joy is the jet pack, press and hold for about 10seconds of thrust, absolute hoot! Jet up behind a group of higher enemies slaughtering your comrades, then jet down into them blasting away. It doesn't get any better.

Now, all of a sudden I'm in a space ship and its gone all Freelancer on me. What!? How cool is that Smile It doesn't feel half assed either, the ship handles nicely, you can pull of fancy moves to lose a chaser, you can alternate between machine guns and homing missiles, great. I was surprised when it happened and disappointed when it ended just as quickly.

With a lot of games recently I've noticed them focus resources on something and end up having a short game or recycling content. In Halo its the complete opposite, like they just put in everything they could think of and then didn't really have time to let you play with each new element for long enough. Space is over quickly and you don't get jet packs very often.

Still, only about 5 hours in so far, very impressive.

Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished it. Again, not a long game and towards the end it was just starting to get a bit repetitive, yet another fire fight where there are just a few more enemies, with just a few harder weapons i.e. a bit of a slog. However, they ended it just as it was on the cusp of wearing thin.

I still can't believe they put the great space fighting bit in there and you only get ONE go!!

Although jet packs are still my number 1 feature, new at number 2 is the decoy. Put in front of hte enemy, press a button and your mirror image runs and stands in front of them, meanwhile you run round the back Smile I think they must have been watching Total Recall.

It's a great example of a developer at the top of their game, music, visuals, game mechanics - everything is polished to a vivid lustre. Perhaps it's a symptom of the modern on-rails FPS, but for all its polish it still felt a little cold, Call Of Duty was the same - very impressive, great voice overs, big set pieces, but it felt a bit like watching a movie rather than being inside the story. Me and my dog in Fallout New Vegas, I really lived that part, I think it's a mixture of open-world plus deeper longer game and more choice and control over what happens when. Still, nothing wrong with a quick AAA Hollywood blockbuster now and again.

p.s. I was really peeved at the end, when you think it's all over and you're waiting for the credits, the game offers you the chance to carry on playing. One girl against a planet of Covenant, truly on your own, play as long as you like. I was amazed, they're going to open up a big level and just let it play on forever, Fallout/Stalker style. However, I walked round a corner into an enemy and got a power hammer in the face. Cut to credits. WHAT!!! When they said \"you're on your own\" they weren't kidding, as soon as you die, it's over. Doh! Can't complain really though Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: