FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Guide to designing your RPG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Guide to designing your RPG Reply with quote

Smile

Chrisj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a couple with hugely different plotlines, where they straight to the village being attacked, without either a birthday or a festival mentioned Smile

(Of course, some western RPGs break radically with the pattern - in Baldur's Gate, for example, you leave your village before it's attacked because you know bad people are looking for you! And in the Icewind Dale games, you control a bunch of adventurers who just happen to have met-up-in-a-pub and are now looking for bother - and so deliberately wind up in a town just before it gets attacked....)
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly couldn't have predicted this one Wink

Watch to the end to get the full creepy effect Smile

p.s. I love Fallout and I'm sure this release will be fine once a few patches have been released.
Slyh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Fallout 3 (and its DLCs) for several weeks and enjoyed it the whole time. A lot. Best game ever! (Well, okay, maybe second best. Portal is better, obviously. But shorter. ;-))

It had some major bugs after its release, of which some were patched in the following months. But even now, 2 years later, it is still buggy as hell. Just check out the bug page on wikia or the (usually big) bugs section for any random quest. A little sad for such a great game.

I hoped they'd be more thorough this time. But judging from some reviews it's the same bug parade all over again...
...which didn't stop me from buying the game just yesterday. I'm so excited! :-)

(BTW... know was is really **** up? The censored German-only version costs 50 Euros on Steam. The same version costs 50 Euros from amazon.de. So I bought it in English and uncensored for 34 Euros including VAT, handling and shipping from amazon.co.uk, which will arrive tomorrow or on saturday. Awesome!)
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slyh wrote:
So I bought it in English and uncensored for 34 Euros including VAT, handling and shipping from amazon.co.uk, which will arrive tomorrow or on saturday. Awesome!

Just be aware that Steam can stop you using CD keys from regions other than your own to activate games. I'm not sure how often they do it or whether they do it to stop people getting uncensored versions where they shouldn't (I bought my uncensored copy of L4D2 through Steam's website). Most of what I've heard about it refers to stopping people buying cheaper Asian versions.
Slyh wrote:
The censored German-only version

Australia is still one up on you in this regard when it comes to the Fallout series - Fallout 3 got censored everywhere because it wasn't approved here.
Slyh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konedima wrote:
Just be aware that Steam can stop you using CD keys from regions other than your own to activate games.

Mh, that would be bad. Though I fear more that they could revert my uncensored English version to a censored German version after I activated it. They did that with some war game (forgot which) not so long ago.
I made sure there are cracks available for the game before I bought it, so it would not bother me too much.
That's what the world has come to. I have to think about cracks for games I purchase legally. (And that's not the first time.) Pirates are not bothered with this kind of stuff... And that sucks! (And it's not the pirates' fault.)

Konedima wrote:
Australia is still one up on you in this regard when it comes to the Fallout series - Fallout 3 got censored everywhere because it wasn't approved here.

Yeah: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3#Controversies_and_censorship
Your legislative sucks even more than ours. (And I thought that would be hardly possible...)
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVED fallout3 and I'll definitely be picking NewVegas up, but the reports of bugs are quite off putting. I know it will be patched to get rid of the worst ones though. Once you've played a while let us know if the bugs really did cause any problems, I'd rather get it sooner than later.

Although, Fable3 is out next week - decisions, decisions ....
Chrisj

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
... the reports of bugs are quite off putting. I know it will be patched to get rid of the worst ones though....

Well, maybe. I've played a few games that were still hideously bug-ridden when the developer got bored and stopped patching them. (The most impressive example is probably "Temple of Elemental Evil" - the developers released three sets of patches and then announced they were done despite the huge amount of stuff that still didn't work. The fan community then spent nine months working on fixing the biggest remaining problems, finally releasing a 95MB unofficial patch that made sure all of the player's spells actually did things, weapons really did damage to people when you hit them, quests could actually be finished, and little details like that....)
Slyh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Fallout New Vegas for about 15 hours now and can say that it appears to be less buggy than Fallout 3. I haven't seen any severe bugs yet, only the smaller ones, for example stuff on a table floating up some inches when an item is taken from there; a killed enemy once dropped through the ground a bit, but was still reachable. And the NPCs still have some path finding issues. Ooh, and every other hour the game hangs for about 30 seconds but then continues normally. (Strange.)
Not a single crash, major graphical glitch or quest bug so far. Even task-switching is possible, which crashed Fallout 3 every now and then, especially later in the game.
3 updates have been released so far, and more seem to come later.

(Luckily my UK version of the game was not censored and is still in English. I hope it stays that way.)

Ah, and, yeah, the game is good, but not as good as Fallout 3. It feels more like an addon to Fallout 3 than a new game. Ehm, well, basically it only is an addon. Even the models and textures stayed the same for most of the stuff you see. Still, the game itself and the quests are fun. Although I don't feel as "connected" to the world and NPCs in there as I did with Fallout 3. I could relate more to some of the protagonists in Fallout 3 and their story, maybe because some really helped me along the way and had a steady supply of quests etc. (Primarily Moira Brown, of course.)
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news about the bugs, shame about it feeling like an add-on. Still, more of the same sounds good to me Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: