FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
starscape 360 joypad support real poor
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape Support View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: starscape 360 joypad support real poor Reply with quote

Hey moonpods!!

I just bought a fresh xbox 360 gamepad to play around and maybe try out some XNA...

I tried to play starscape with it but failed awfully!! Its correctly recognized and the buttons are quite where they have to be but the responsiveness for the thumbStick is SO quick! I guess there isn any threshold!! And I am not able to set the Cooliehat as UpDownLeftRight-Control what whould be the best for this kind of game I think.

I tried an autohotkey script to simulate keyboard input from the 360 pad but it does not support the directions between UpRight RightDown DownLeft LeftUp. Its like you cannot press 2 cursor keys at a time....

So no chance to play Starscape in bed for me tonight :[
do something!! ;]
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who play emulators also have this problem. Try a less expensive digital gamepad instead of a pricy analog one.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: starscape 360 joypad support real poor Reply with quote

ewerybody wrote:
the responsiveness for the thumbStick is SO quick!

Go to the options screen in game, and click on the 'modify' button next to controls. At the bottom of the screen there is a 'dead zone' option. try increasing that and see what happens.

ewerybody wrote:
I am not able to set the Cooliehat as UpDownLeftRight-Control what whould be the best for this kind of game I think.

Cooliehat?

Btw: With pads+Starscape, I always set revese and forward thrust on triggers, and then the stick is only used for left<>right so you get much better accuracy and control (although menu nav is a bit weird). That said, I might not be the best person to offer an opinion as I don't like using pads in general; they feel too 'muddy' after you've played games with a mouse or with a keyboard.
Doom III

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use an xbox old version pad and a converter and its best with the deadzone set higher. like fost says too you wanna have left right only on the stick and put thrusts on triggers - seems abit crazy when you first play but then it starts to make sense.

is cooliehat a german word - i saw somethin like that for the pov hat on my flight stick which had german on the box

-i think. not up on languages

-have enough trouble with english Smile
ewerybody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aahhhh ok! I didn't know what deadzone was for! THanks! I gonna try that out.

Hmm "cooliehat" is actually written in the gamepad settings dialog wich is german overall... really crazy: They used an english seeming word that neither an Englishman knows nor a german. Ok I mean the POV-thingy (What does POV stand for?!?!)

whatever: Starscape is not responding when trying to apply left / right / up / down to the POV. But the triggers are?!?! hmm ok..

after all I think starscape is a cool game to play on a pad. I mean you don't have 1000s of buttons. everything seems like beeing made for console-control. I sit all day at a darn desk in front of a monitor on an office chair. I really enjoy playing games from out of the bed Wink
James

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: starscape 360 joypad support real poor Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Btw: With pads+Starscape, I always set revese and forward thrust on triggers

That probably won't work so well on the 360 pad, as the DInput drivers are a bit odd and map both triggers to a single analogue axis, so you can only press one at a time without it acting a bit strange. The only way to really read a 360 pad properly is to use XInput.

POV is Point Of View, by the way Smile
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: starscape 360 joypad support real poor Reply with quote

James wrote:
That probably won't work so well on the 360 pad, as the DInput drivers are a bit odd and map both triggers to a single analogue axis, so you can only press one at a time without it acting a bit strange. The only way to really read a 360 pad properly is to use XInput

Poop. Oh well, we'd better get one in to test Smile
ewerybody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah.. you don't really want to thrust forward and backward at same time ;]

Quote:
Poop. Oh well, we'd better get one in to test Smile

Yea definitely! Its one smart piece of hardware! They sell it as THE killer-controller for windows games. I don't know if you can buy a cabled one especially for xBox 360 anymore. Fools will think its not for the 360...
I heard soon they are going to release a wireless one for the PC as well!!

But the drivers: .. Yea as you say: The triggers drive only one Z-channel?!?! What the heck did they think when they released this?!?! How to distinguish if none or both triggers are pressed? Thats really idiotic!

Ok POV. But that doesn't really explain what the thing is, does it? Wink But ok.. if everyone knows what the POV is at a gamepad its ok again.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was called Point-Of-View hat because it's used on flight sims to change your view - usually, they map it so left-right moves you head in the virtual cockpit and you can look out of the side windows.
ewerybody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still strange: as I think the control comes from the old digital gamepads or the gameboy controller-cross. Playstation still has it at the Major thumb-position at their conrtollers. They just attached the analog-thumb-sticks. The designers of the gamecube pad and xbox1 and 360 moved it to a lower and less important position because the analog control got more and more into the spotlight.

I'd call it control-cross. Now that I know Very Happy

but hehe ... this is quite off topic is it? pardon me.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wouldn't call it a POV hat, I'd call it a D-Pad. Since that's what it is.
ewerybody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that hits it very well too :]
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely call the physical control a D-Pad. It just gets called a POV-Hat by the input device software because it's functionally identical to the POV-Hat found on top of joysticks - i.e. an eight-way digital joystick.

Of course, just to be confusing, in some circumstances the cursed thing is really just four buttons and not two digital axes - for example, the arrows on Playstation dance mats map to the directions on the D-pad, but it's perfectly valid to press up and down or left and right at the same time. Most playstation-to-USB adaptors translate the D-pad into a POV-hat, but this cripples the dance-mat, because a POV-hat simply cannot represent the user pressing opposite directions simultaneously.
ewerybody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats why the 360 driver is sending a value from 0 to 36000 for the POV control. 9000 for each direction. 4500 for north-east ect..
But here it fits, you cannot press two opposite directions at the same time.

However.. Starscape support for that thing whould be cool.
ewerybody

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey I just tried to assign the triggers to Forward / Backward thrust. Doesn't work with the 360 controller Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: