FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Greed Corp - what?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Greed Corp - what? Reply with quote

I noticed an interesting article in Develop magazine about a new developer that was trying to jump start the RTS genre with something radically new. I used to LOVE rts titles, but have grown bored of them recently so I was intrigued.

http://www.mistbound.com/index.php?id=2

It was hard to follow the credits, there were so many jobs and people listed, it looked like some crazy number like ~25 people - a bit extreme for an xbla title, must be good!

The demo actually made me mad, which is a first Smile I just couldn't follow the tutorial at all, it seemed to make no sense. It seems to be some kind of turn based risk-like game, but I've never seen anything so obtuse. Sad

This is going to introduce a new audience to real time strategy? Really?

Gameplay footage:

Anyone else played it?
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played this today on my friend's PS3. Definitely not an RTS. I didn't play the tutorial, so I don't know what it's like, but I find it hard to believe it could be hard to follow, because the game is exceedingly simple:
  • You play on a hex grid. Each tile is neutral or owned by a single player.
  • Each tile has a height which is between 1 and 4 in the levels I've seen. Tiles at height 1 have big cracks and are considered "critical".
  • There are only 6 things to buy: harvesters, buildings that get you money but damage the terrain; barracks (not sure of the name?), buildings that let you buy walkers and transports; cannons, buildings for attacking enemies and terrain; shells, ammunition for cannons; walkers, units for capturing tiles and fighting other walkers; transports, one-off devices for transporting walkers anywhere on the map. That's everything.
  • Some things (harvesting, cannons, harvester self-destruct) can damage a tile, reducing its height by one level. If a tile is reduced to height 0 it collapses. If it's reduced to 0 by a cannon or a self-destruct then there's also a chain reaction that spreads through all touching critical (height 1) tiles to destroy them.
  • Every single thing you can buy (including ammo) follows the same rule - it's disabled on the turn you acquire it, and only usable on your next turn. (This also applies when you capture anything from an enemy.)
  • Walkers are the only mobile unit, and the only way to capture tiles. During your turn you can move each walker only once, either to attack an adjacent cell that you don't own, or to move through up to three cells you own to reinforce a cell you own.
  • Walkers stack up to 16 on a tile.
  • Combat is plain attrition - one of yours for one of theirs. If you eliminate the last enemy unit you capture the tile, even if the last attacker was wiped out. You acquire all the buildings in the tile.
  • At the start of your turn all your harvesters activate (whether you want it or not!) and their tiles and all adjacent tiles fall down one level. You get 2 money for every such tile.
  • You can elect to self-destruct a harvester. It demolishes its own tile, damages all the neighbouring tiles, and sets off chain-reactions if the neighbouring tiles were already critical.
  • Cannons can be fired if loaded with ammo. The target tile must be in range. The shell destroys five walkers and knocks the tile down a level. If the tile is destroyed, it sets off chain-reactions in neighbouring critical tiles.

That might seem complicated, but that's really the entire game. You could take that description and implement the game from it and you'd be pretty close. The only things I've not described are the costs of units, the range of cannons and a few minor details about using transports and cannons.

It reminds me of Moonbase Commander: simplified and pretty turned-based strategy. I'm not sure I'd have the patience to play it for long - I think I'd get bored with the lack of units and frustrated as I started encountering less stupid AIs. Still, I certainly appreciate the elegant system and the disturbing environmental metaphor. (It really is quite nerve-wracking to see the world disintegrate around you.)
codergames

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably a kid so that game is simple for you, you got time to figure it out and play lots of hours, we're the old school, more into casual type of games ... the less the brain's needed, the better.

... I lost meself just by reading what you wrote
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me! I'll be 30 this year. Razz I am also far from the hardcore. I played this game today for maybe 30 to 40 minutes and my entire description is based on that. While I have in the past invested many hours learning games, I don't often find the time these days. (I recently turned down my friends' invites to the Starcraft 2 beta because it would devour time I just don't have. Sad)

This is not a complex game. I could not describe Plants vs Zombies in so few words - I could perhaps describe the premise, but not all the plants and zombies and their interactions. But this game really only has three kinds of building, one kind of unit and two resources, and I've described almost everything you need to know about them.

The turn-based deterministic hex conquest reminds me of Slay, which is worth a look. I'd call Slay a simple and elegant game, but my feeling is that it's marginally more complicated than Greed Corp, so maybe others will disagree with me there. Wink The basics of Slay are that equal strength units cannot overpower each other; stronger units can overpower weaker ones, but have very costly upkeep; and if you can't pay the upkeep for your units in a territory they all starve to death. The game is a fine balance of knowing when to buy expensive units to overpower your enemy, and when to constrict them or cut them off such that they starve.

I feel I should also give a quick mention to Desktop Dungeons as a mostly-deterministic turn-based game, albeit not a turn-based strategy. It has been described as a "10 minute roguelike". Apparently they're busy porting it from one of my least favourite - at least as a player - engines (Game Maker) to another of my least favourite engines (Unity). Mostly I dislike Unity because it has taken a long time for Flash to become moderately well supported on all web-browsing operating systems, and I'm dismayed to see another "web"-based proprietary engine being pushed. Sorry, I was supposed to be talking about the game. Try it, it's not bad. But it's very hard.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
The turn-based deterministic hex conquest reminds me of Slay, which is worth a look. I'd call Slay a simple and elegant game, but my feeling is that it's marginally more complicated than Greed Corp, so maybe others will disagree with me there. Wink

I disagree! Slay has no height to worry about, no critical tiles, no chain reaction, only 4 types of unit (5 if you want to count those castle things) and only 2 real units, since one just gets upgraded a few times. I can see how they're similar though (I'll download the Greed Corp demo sometime).

codergames wrote:

You're probably a kid so that game is simple for you, you got time to figure it out and play lots of hours, we're the old school, more into casual type of games ... the less the brain's needed, the better.

... I lost meself just by reading what you wrote

Someone doesn't need to be a kid to understand a game (in fact based on Weeble's description I'd have my doubts a kid would understand it as well as he does), nor do you always have to have tons of free time. All games are based on a set of rules. If you know what you're looking for, it's not too hard to figure them out. What are you looking for? How player units interact with other units and the game world, mostly.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK that description makes sense, I'll have another look. Desktop Dungeons sounds interesting too, looks like lunchtime will be busy Smile
Slyh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greed Corp is for sale today on Steam for 2.50 euros.
As some of you played it already: Buy or no buy?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did make sense, but it didn't win me over. Although, at that price it isn't much of a risk I guess Smile
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
Although, at that price it isn't much of a risk I guess Smile

Which is why I bought it. Of course, estimated date when I'll get around to playing it, with everything I've bought during this sale (and the last one, and the one before that... they were all in pretty quick succession) is... sometime in 2013.
Slyh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to buy and missed the deadline by 20 minutes. Damn! ;)

Konedima, I have the same problem. And I still have games from last christmas' Steam sale which I've yet to start playing. :)
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slyh wrote:
And I still have games from last christmas' Steam sale which I've yet to start playing. Smile

Out of curiousity, I looked up my purchase history to try and find the earliest purchase that I haven't played even once. That "honour" goes to, having been purchased on the 21st of September 2009, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (half price, bargain!). Further investigation that it is actually, having been bought on the 27th of December 2008, Half-Life: Opposing Force!
Slyh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oldest game I bought and have not yet played is Bioshock, which I purchased for 4,19 Euros almost exactly 2 years ago, on 1. January 2009. :-)

Some games of the Orange Box I bought exactly 1 year prior to that are also still unplayed (Half Life 2 Deathmatch, for example). But I don't really count those.

Complete list of unplayed games:
Ankh2
Ankh3
Bioshock
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Madballs
Overlord II
Port Royale 2
Vegas : Make it big
Ghost Master
Ghostbusters
Gumboy
Metro 2033
Thief
Titan Quest
The Witcher

And some others I only played some minutes before postponing ;)
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slyh wrote:
Complete list of unplayed games:

Sorry, but I've still got you (quite significantly) beat there:
(Games bought on sale within the last month or two are red - haven't necessarily had much of a chance to play them yet)
(Edit: Games bought during the 2009 Christmas sale are yellow!)
    AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAaAAAAA - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
    Alpha Protocol
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent

And Yet It Moves
    Assassin's Creed II
    Aquaria
    The Ball
    Battlefied: Bad Company 2

Battlestations: Midway
    Battlestations: Pacific

Beyond Good & Evil
    BioShock 2
    Blood Bowl: Dark Elves Edition
    Blur
    Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
    Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
    Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
    Bullet Candy

Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
    Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor
    Conflict: Denied Ops
    Crysis
    Crysis Warhead
    Crysis Wars

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
    Dead Space
    Deus Ex
    Deus Ex: Invisible War

Droplitz
    Evil Genius
    F.E.A.R. (plus expansions)
    F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
    F1 2010

Far Cry
    FlatOut
    Flora's Fruit Farm (although in my defence, I got this as part of a fairly big pack.. not interested in it specifically)
    Freedom Force
    Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich
    Frontlines: Fuel of War
    Galcon Fusion
    Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved

Ghostbusters
    Gish
    Grand Theft Auto (1-San Andreas, Episodes from Liberty City)
    Gratuitous Space Battles
    Greed Corp
    Half-Life: Blue Shift
    Half-Life: Opposing Force
    Heroes of Might and Magic V (plus expansions)
    Hitman: Codename 47
    Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
    Hitman: Blood Money
    Infernal
    Jade Empire: Special Edition

Jolly Rover
    Just Cause
    Just Cause 2
    Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
    Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
    Killing Floor
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
    Lugaru HD
    Machinarium
    Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers
    Mass Effect 2
    Medieval II: Total War (plus expansion)
    Mini Ninjas
    The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
    Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum

Osmos
    Overlord (plus expansion)
    Overlord II
    Penumbra: Overture
    The Polynomial
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
    Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
    Prince of Persia
    Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Project: Snowblind
    Puzzle Quest
    Rhythm Zone

Rogue Trooper
    Rome: Total War (plus expansion)
    RUSH
    Sam & Max (most of season 2, all of season 3)
    The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
    The Secret of Monkey Island 2: Special Edition
    Serious Sam (HD and Classic, both First and Second Encounters)
    Shellshock 2: Blood Trails (Metacritic says it's ****, again in my defence it was part of a pack)
    Sid Meier's Civilization IV (plus expansions)
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (it takes up over 25 gigs WHY?????)
    Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People
    Super Laser Racer
    Tales of Monkey Island
    Thief: Deadly Shadows
    Tomb Raider: Anniversary
    Tomb Raider: Legend
    Tomb Raider: Underworld

Trine
    Tropico 3
    Universe at War
    VVVVVV
    Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures
    The Witcher

That's probably more games than most people own in Steam, or in some cases total... oh well.

Last edited by Konedima on Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Slyh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehm... just wow! :)
You either have too much money or too few spare time. ;-)

And you're right that most people own less games. I for example possess 75 Steam games. You listed 105, not counting game "bundles" (Sam&Max, Serious Sam.)
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slyh wrote:
You either have too much money or too few spare time. Wink

While I'd like to say it's the former, most of those I bought on special, so thanks to Steam, it's not too much money.

Which is a shame, as I could use more money, or for Steam to start selling stuff I need... like a new TV.

(Incedentally, you're more than welcome to look at my big list of games and take a look at all the games I have played)
Edit: list of unplayed games updated - games I bought during the 2009 Christmas sale are now yellow!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: