FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
I'm a new independent game developer, here's my game video.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you find the article interesting, was it funny too? I'm not a writer, I was very honest. The title is luring people into reading the article, glad there were no bad comments so far, it should be a good sign.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergames wrote:
I know you were pulling my leg with 100% CPU usage

I said it was maxing out one core (remember, they're 2.4GHz cores), and it was:

It was even doing that while it was paused:

Your new update seems to have fixed it (gameplay runs at a normal speed), CPU usage is still a little higher than running it on XP (which never went above 5%) but low enough.
codergames

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you're not running just my game and your stats are for overall, not just for process running my game.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergames wrote:
But you're not running just my game and your stats are for overall, not just for process running my game.

Unless I'm deliberately doing something CPU intensive, my CPU usage with all my background programs, Steam, Firefox and media player (which is all that was running when I tested)? Under 2%.

Face it. Your game was maxing out a 2.4GHz core.
codergames

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If me game works smoothly on me 1 Ghz Celeron with XP and smoothly on me ~1.67 Ghz Celeron under Vista, then I'd say your computer is running more than what you listed ... probably a couple of viruses as well. I'm only guessing, I don't know what's running on your computer. Check it out, I'm sure your core can handle more than me Celeron.
codergames

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine is running when its "paused". Its not really paused, the music is still playing, volume is down, the pooling of events is running, the engine is working constantly doing many things, keeping track of the mouse, keyboard, video events, etc. That's normal.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergames wrote:
If me game works smoothly on me 1 Ghz Celeron with XP and smoothly on me ~1.67 Ghz Celeron under Vista, then I'd say your computer is running more than what you listed ... probably a couple of viruses as well. I'm only guessing, I don't know what's running on your computer. Check it out, I'm sure your core can handle more than me Celeron.

ĦAy, caramba! It WAS your game. I keep my antivirus software up to date (and no, that wasn't killing my CPU). As I'm writing this post, my CPU usage is fluctuating between 0-3%. This was under Windows 7, and it was the old version which ran too fast (as the last screenshot shows you, the new version which runs at the right speed uses a lot less CPU - still 3-4 times what it uses under XP, but 10% usage is low enough).

My guess? For whatever reason the execution was never getting paused, causing both the insane game speed and maxing out the CPU.

Now please, open your eyes and believe me. Firstly, this is no longer a problem. Secondly, I have no reason to try to lie about something as trivial as this just to annoy you. Third, while I can't honestly say I know everything about computers, I like to think I know a lot about them, especially my computer and all its foibles.
codergames

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arr matey ... I haven't slept for a week, seems there are more problems with graphics, collision, etc. ... which I don't experience on any of my configurations, but I got one message listing all of these.

Like I said already, there is no pause in the game, its working all the time. Its the simulation, there's no sleep going on. Only the math formulas getting adjusted after every loop to accommodate the time passed, because that time as likely to be slightly different each cycle ... eg. more AI intensive ... more memory allocated, different resources needed, etc. So, if the time difference is 100ms the speed factor will be 0.1 * 32 (number of wanted frames per second), if the time passed was 1ms, speed factor will be 0.001 * 32, etc. So, to get smooth execution, I mean the smoothest possible, you got to recalculate the speed factor non-stop. That's the only way you get smooth game play.

The reason why I'm not truly pausing the engine, when you click escape is because its likely you'll continue playing and you just paused it because either the boss is coming, if you're at work, or you're going to take a ******, or quite the game.

I do thank you for testing the game! I appreciate it, very much.
codergames

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why I stopped using Sleep was because it appears that it wasn't sleeping the specified number of ms. And it was different on all configurations, giving random small speedups and slowdowns. So, if you needed 100ms of sleep to meet the wanted frame-rate and that value was specified, it slept for 105 and in next loop, it needed to sleep 67ms, and it only slept 65ms. It was all inconsistent. So, the only way to match under all platforms, is to use float point value which rarely gives mistake and if there is one its very small, unnoticeable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: