FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
I'm a new independent game developer, here's my game video.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: I'm a new independent game developer, here's my game video. Reply with quote

Hi everyone, the game is already finished, I'm original author of everything: programming, 2d/3d modeling, animations and music. The video is not of the best quality as it skips frames, some sfx from the game are missing. The game itself is having a very high frame-rate.

http://www.youtube.com/codergames

I would love to hear your opinion as I'm new to independent game development.

Cheers![/url]
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game doesn't work on my machine, it starts up and immediately hangs. The errorlog.html file has nothing in it

Sad
codergames

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol ... odd stuff, who knows what it is ... you may need to set compatibility mode if you're using Vista ... but it works on all my computers and my friend's computers, both XP and Vista.

... and it works very smoothly on a very old Celeron too, under XP.

... I don't know, people who bought don't complain ... the ones that did not, complain about the price.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Windows7 with all latest updates.
I've got a Radeon HD5750 with recent drivers.

Ran it in WinXP compatibility mode, still nothing.

Odd Confused
codergames

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game is not tested under Windows 7, it would be a miracle if it worked Smile

... its an XP and Vista game ... and I heard that Windows 7 XP compatibility is not working, not sure if its true or not.
codergames

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to thank you for downloading and installing the game ... sad because it does not work for you ... they seem to have announced another service pack for Windows 7 bringing functional XP compatibility mode, at last Smile
codergames

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just occurred to me to check with you if you have OpenGL drivers for your graphic card installed? Under Vista, for example, if you don't have OpenGL driver for your card installed the game window won't display anything, just the border ... because its not able to initialize the display, it won't write anything to the errorlog in that case.

Its not a DirectX game.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem as Poo Bear - immediately hangs on startup, errlog.html empty, Windows 7 (64 bit) Radeon HD5770 (latest drivers).

To be perfectly honest I'd have my doubts about it being Windows 7 - at its core, it's not that far removed from Vista, so if it works on Vista (I might try it on my laptop running Vista later), I don't know why it wouldn't work on 7... other than system utilities and the like, it'd be hard to write something that works on Vista and not 7 unless you were trying for it (and I've never really had any problems running things in XP compatibility mode either).

Also, if it were a problem with not being able to initialise an OpenGL display, then it would be nice if output something into the error log.

Oh, and I was just looking around in the game's files while writing this post - I could help but notice there's a file called config.cfg which is empty - it's not that hard to guess the purpose of that file based on the name, so maybe if it's expecting to read something from there...
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergames wrote:
Its not a DirectX game.

I think OpenGL drivers are included in the normal driver update you get from ATI, so I don't think its that sadly.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! The game does work on the artists old winXP machine Smile

Considering the growth in win7 you should have a look into that issue I think.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comments:

You've obviously put a lot of time and effort in so well done, I hope you don't take these comments too negatively. Smile

1. regular changes to the background would be nice

2. I personally feel more involved in shooters when they fire faster, it seems to fire quite slowly and be designed more in line with me just holding down fire. I feel more involved if I can bang away on the fire button, more part of the action.

3. I wasn't totally clear on what the little black pickups did or even whether I should pick them up at all. In fact my play ended when I picked one up that killed me Smile Colour might help people understand i.e. gold are always good, black is always bad. And make it clear what they do, perhaps when you grab one it flashes up a meaningful name in the corner of the screen and plays a unique sfx.

4. Shooter are fans are split between those who insist on one shot kills and those who like multiple hits to take down an enemy. I think either can be good. One shot kills does allow you to mow down a lot of enemies quickly which can be very satisfying. I'd have some bigger obviously hard enemies taking multiple hits to die (showing off the cool knock back effect) and a lot of small weak ones you can mow down quickly.

Shootemups is a very tricky genre now, their popularity as a commercial proposition has been in decline for a long time sadly. Partly because of the rise of free flash shooters. I think to make money you have tick all the boxes i.e. look really impressive to catch the wandering eye, offer something clever and knew to make reviewers take note.

These are some of my favourite commercial shooters:

http://www.warblade.as/index.asp

http://pompomgames.com/astrotripper.htm

http://pompomgames.com/mutantstormreloaded.htm

http://www.mking.com/demonstar/index.html

http://www.squashysoftware.com/platypus.php

Not forgetting Starscape Wink
http://www.moonpod.com/English/about_ss.php

This site is a good resource for shmups in general:
http://www.shmups.com/

I think as a first programming project then well done for getting something finished and out there, I'm not sure how much money you will make, but I hope you keep going and release some more games.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that in Win7 if I leave it open for about 10 minutes, it does get going, but all the graphics are just white rectangles, so it's impossible to see/do anything. I fired it up in XP Mode (not compatibility mode, the virtual XP machine you can run in Win7 Professional and up), and it does work (although REALLY slowly, although I can probably blame that on it using a virtual S3 Trio - software rendering on my Core 2 Quad would probably be faster (so maybe you could provide an option for it) - either that or the game moves waaaaaaaay too slowly in the first place.

I agree with all of Poo Bear's suggestions (except #3, there's a description of the powerups in the how to play sections, but I agree anything that looks like it could be good but is bad should be plainly obvious that it's bad and #4 I prefer ones which take multiple hits), and would like to submit a couple of my own (but hey, it's your work, and if you're happy with it, then me and my suggestions are willing to go to hell):

1) It's REALLY annoying how it asks me if I want to quit every time it loses focus ESPECIALLY in the menus. I'd just overlay a gray transparency that says PAUSED in the middle... or something. It shows that the game isn't going anywhere, but allows you to get straight back into it.

2) When you get immobilised after taking a hit, it's REALLY annoying and cheap because I found when that happened I'd generally get hit by a few more shots and couldn't do anything about it. Either let me keep moving after getting hit or give me a shield that lasts until I can move again (although that can still be cheap, if your shield expires just before you'd get hit).

3) The enemies are stationary... not saying that makes it easy, but it's boring, and I can't imagine someone looking over the shoulder of someone who's playing would think it was very interesting. Make them move from side to side or something.

4) Opening the web browser when quitting the game became annoying in 2003. Find another way to hassle people.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice the web browser thing, but yes that does sound too "in your face". Most games these days just insert a minor delay on exit i.e. the game doesn't exit immediately it shows a page with reasons to buy and a big "website" button, another click on exit then kills the game.

I think that is the right balance these days, just a tiny little nudge to the player.

Another thing I'd try is inserting a jump to a special web page on uninstall that lets people type in comments that then get emailed to you. That way you can canvas opinion about not only what could be improved, but what it is that would make people buy.

I expect there would be a lot of "it costs too much", but I'm really not sure about that kind of knee jerk comment. I suspect most people have certain expectations about price i.e. $9.99 -> $19.99 and if you are within that then you are fine. I think it's more that when people don't buy it's really something about the game, but often it can be hard to put that into specifics so it can be easier just to say "if it was $4.99 I'd have bought it" when I suspect they really wouldn't have. People either want something or they don't and price rarely plays a part unless it's silly (like 550 for an ipad Wink )
codergames

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, thanks for comments and very constructive features suggestions!

I think I may have found the problem with Windows 7 ... its not the OS, its the OpenGL ... and the way linking of the libraries is done.

The problem is that I wasn't linking user32, gdi32 and glu32 before the opengl32. Although I'm not sure if it fixed the problem, it did solve the problem on one Vista where it did not work, where I thought that the video card driver was the problem.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it ready to download again then, I could test it for you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: