Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Location: Sheffield, UK
|Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:37 pm Post subject: Graphics cards, drivers and updates
|Pirate Princess uses DirectX9c and that can upset graphics cards of yesteryear. Especially if these elderly gentlemen haven't been keeping up to date with their drivers (the senile old rascals!).
Anyway, this webpage here tries to talk you through it:
Bear in mind you need something probably within 3-4 years old with about 32MB of video ram onboard. All you crazy technophiles with SLI'd 3DFX cards, they just ain't cool anymore, really! Nothing amazing though mind, just a reasonable card should do. I mean, check this out - it works on an Intel Extreme GMA900 (or better). If you know anything about graphics cards you'll know that's pretty amazing (no offense all you Extreme owners no please don't hurt me ).
Sadly there is bound to be some we have problems with, if you think yours meets the specs and it doesn't work then let us know and we'll check it out. Before posting though, check out that web page I mentioned and make sure you've gone through and checked all the basics.
p.s. don't say "it works on world of warcraft ok" - do you know some old forgotten cards even got a driver update JUST to add compatibility with WoW - sheesh!
Here's the shorthand for that graphics card problem checklist:
1. run the game full screen, running in a window stresses your system. Yeh, I know, pain in the *** - just try it !
2. lower the resolution. Ouch, quiet down, I hear you. You didn't like option1 and you certainly don't like option2 - just try it !!
3. get your drivers updated. How sick are you of hearing that? Yes, I know they update them every 5 mins for no good reason. Oh and I don't mean those dodgy non-whql certified ones you found on that \\"tweakers\\" website. I mean the real deal proper ones.
4. get the latest version of DirectX. Yes, ok, I know it says you have 9.0c. Thing is, Microsoft, in their wisdom, keep releasing mini-updates and not changing the version number. Do you think DX9c from 2 years ago is the same as one downloaded today? Think again.
5. free us some harddrive space for goodness sake, how do you expect anything to work with ten meg free? Get about 100meg free at least.
6. turn off everything else, yes I'm including that virus scanner and instant messaging software you have running. Woh tiger - back! I just mean to give it a try. The more apps you have running at the same time the greater the chance something will interfere.
7. run windows update and make sure you are running with all the latest patches, sound drivers and what not. Pardon? You can't get past Microsoft's windows "genuine advantage" validation page? Ok, I'm not speaking to you anymore!
IF ANY OF THE ABOVE SCARES YOU THEN DON'T DO IT! GO ASK A KNOWLEDGABLE FRIEND OR CHECK OUT STARSCAPE INSTEAD.
Failing all that then drop us a line at supportATmoonpod.com and we'll do our best to help.
p.s. if you follow our guide and then your computer teleports itelf into outer space with a bang then DON'T BLAME US. This is just friendly advice about what to do. PC's come in 500 different flavours so there is no definitive "this will always work" answer. You mess with your own gear at your own risk govner!