FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Port Starscape to the Gamecube???
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Port Starscape to the Gamecube??? Reply with quote

Hello Moonpod team

I spoke to one of your team memebers, 'Fost' about the problems with vide games in the current market.
But I would like to know if you would ever port 'Starscape' to the 'Gamecube', its a brillant machine and has the potential to build great and play fantastic games.

Since I have a 'Gamecube' , I would like to see a game like this tio show most other developers that there is good games available on the GC.
Anyway I know of a few good games coming out on the GC; Unity developed by Jeff Minter very psychedlic game and Viewtiful Joe.

But with these games in mind, I am sure you can also make great games for the console market.

Thanks
Juggy Rolling Eyes
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike PC's the console market is very tightly controlled by the manufacturers (Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony) and publishers. You wont even get a GameCube development kit unless the game has the backing of a publisher and the idea is cleared by Nintendo (or whoever). You cannot even get access to hardware specs without Nintendo's permission.

Even if by magic we had a working GC game it wouldn't cut much ice, the discs are a proprietary format that can only be duplicated by Nintendo. They apply a price premium to ensure they get their "cut" and the publisher has to put up all the money. So the publisher needs to cover game duplication and initial marketing budget even if we just gave them the game for free. Nintendo would certainly apply a minimum duplication limit forcing the publisher to duplicate in large numbers i.e. at least 30,000 copies with discs costing anything up to $5-7 each.

Then the shops and distributors will take their cut, which is amazingly around the 50-60% mark of street price. Then the publisher has to pay to advertise the game and again the shops charge a huge amount for shelf and window space (i.e. millions of dollars).

The result of all this enormous expense is that the publisher needs to sell thousands and thousands of copies just to break even. You can begin to see why publishers are so careful and why they tend to follow tried and tested safe formulas (i.e. sports license, sequel, film tie-ins).

If consoles were more open we would certainly consider developing on them, its's just a closed market to us currently. Sad

The only remote possibility is really the XBox, Microsoft have something called the Incubator program. They let you buy a devkit cheap without publisher backing while you get a prototyp off the ground. Sadly you are then still compelled to find a publisher before you can take it any further. A good effort though, so well done Microsoft.
Juggy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Port Starscape to the Gamecube??? Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Poo Bear.

It seems the difficulties arise from the console manufacturers, as you stated.
Also its strange why certain manufacturers need developers to register with a publisher, in your case you act as developers/publishers and there should not be a problem in this.
Therefore you make games and you directly sell them to the consumer, its a good business model, to gain good sales of games (No retail costs incurred).

But as I know that Nintendo are stubborn sometimes, but they are changing their attitude towards developers and publishers. So in the immediate future, I hope there policies do change and so 'Moonpod' can take the opportunity to build games and market them.

It only takes a company like 'Moonpod' to bring change into the games industry, such like 'Freeserve' did with its internet services.

Juggy

Laughing Cool
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The console manufacturers make their money from the royalty they get when games are sold. Very few actually make money from selling the console (in fact most are sold at a loss, although I hear Sony's improvements in manufacturing have meant they now make a profit on the PSII hardware)

At the end of the day everyone needs to make their profits to pay the bills, so it's understandable console makers are very guarded about who develops for their consoles. I'd really love to see some sort of direct sales channel appear for them, kind of like the way Moonpod work. Theoretically there's no reason why you couldn't download Starscape to an Xbox harddrive over the Xbox broadband network, and the same for the PSII. If developers had to go though official servers the console makers could still take their cut, and it might help small developers to release on those platforms.
Juggy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replied to this subject in the 'General' topic area..

Anyway I say it again, thanks for all your info 'Moonpod team' and continue make good games for the future.
But one day I would like to see one of your games on the console.

Thanks agian
Juggy

Laughing Laughing
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to what Poo Bear said, I'd think Xbox would be easiest to port PC games to because it uses a similar API (DirectX)
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konedima wrote:
I'd think Xbox would be easiest to port PC games to because it uses a similar API (DirectX)

Yes, we've also got experience in xbox development. We could definitely do a port to that platform pretty easily. So if anyone knows a publisher who wants it Very Happy
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask around Smile I would publish it, except that I don't run a company that does that sort of thing (or a company at all)
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konedima wrote:
Ask around

Whilst the port would be easy, it's not so easy to find publishers. Finding publishers willing to take on games for the PC market is hard enough. Since none of the major consoles have budget channels, it is unlikely they would take on Starscape. The perception the average console game buying member of the public has of quality is also skewed (right or wrong) by whether a game id 3D or not.

Not to say we don't have some ideas Very Happy
callmeminyme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing make your own console Laughing
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thought. No really.

Just look at the movie industry. Film makers got frustrated if they couldn't get their projects made because of the tasteless fat cats that they were forced to deal with who wouldn't know a good film if it bit them on the buttocks, or rejected it cause it didn't have enough low-brow sex scenes or not enough explosions or something heh.

Then along came guys like Robert Redford, who came up with Sundance. He opened the doors for the independent flim makers, to get their work produced, advertised and showcased.

I would have thought by now something similar might have begun to crop up for the gaming industry. I suppose even if/when one does, they'll have problems like the indy film makers do with regards to the retail part of it i.e. movie theaters or the stores to wrangle some shelf space. You won't see too many indy films at your average theater, but you would in towns and cities that might have a few devoted to it.

So, I would think that indy developers would need a solid retailer mainly, one whos not afraid to take a chance, advertise, then sell their products. As for consoles, I'm thinking if its as hard as it is now to get something made for the others, maybe a company could come up with one for those indies, and sell it through said retailer.

Then if the requirements for develping on that platform aren't as stringent as the Xbox and others, maybe then we could see some real competition for both PC and console titles. Anyway, here's hoping indy developers will get some of the respect we all know they deserve.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we ever get rich I'd love to have go at making a console, how about a PC based box the size of a GameCube? Check out these pictures http://www.mini-itx.com/news/computex2003-1/ of the new micro-itx motherboard 12cmx12cm. Not massively powerful as it takes a VIA 1Ghz C3 CPU, but the nice side effect of that is that it doesn't need a fan.

Then get these guys to sort out the case http://hoojum.com/gallery/albums.php especially that chrome one, it is lovely.
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea it is, man I love drooling over toys like that hehe. The last thing I remember checking out hardware wise a while back, someone gave me a link to a site or two where people were tricking out there cases, showing off all their cooling units and whatnot. I never get tired of looking at things like that Smile
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehehehehehe - interesting

http://www.xkill.net/rcaslis/computers/Falcon-making/index.html
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh yep I'd seen that one too Smile

When I first saw it, I didn't think it was feasible in the sense of having a plastic case rather than metal (wouldn't some of the components if too close to the plastic parts risk melting it?) Oh well, I guess not if he got it working Smile My favorite part of his mod is the engine lights
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: