FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Favorite Ship Configs (Spoilers!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Favorite Ship Configs (Spoilers!) Reply with quote

I just finished Zone 3 and am ready to head to Zone 4... here's my ships:

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Quietus
Devastator
6 L4 Ion Beams (group 1)
2 Beam Drones (group 2)
4 L4 Batteries
5 L1 Batteries
L3 Tractor, L4 Shield/Generator/Engine

Carsomyr
Devastator
2 L4 Blasters (group 1)
4 Plasma Torpedoes (group 2)
2 Beam Drones (group 1)
9 Missile Bays
2 L4 Batteries
L3 Tractor, L4 Shield/Generator/Engine

I like these setups so far... Quiet is great for mining and mowing down mobs of little ships, while Carso smokes enemy miners in 1-2 passes.

What are some of your favorite loadouts?
Zero G

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're going a little overboard on batteries. When configuring a ship take a look at the power summary.

Look at the lines that say Power a/b and Full Power x/y. As a general rule, if x is less than b you don't need any batteries at all.

In this example under full power my ship uses 54 power while the L4 generator produces 80. I can use afterburners, grav beam, and fire all weapons continuously. Notice this ship doesn't have a battery at all.

The extra power in this design charges the shields very quickly, not that L4 shields really need any help.

Do I really need all those missile bays? No, but it's fun to have virtually unlimited ammo - definitely preferable to wasted energy. Wink
Zero G

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This config is more energy intensive. x=70 and b=80. I have tried this config with and without batteries and can't tell any difference.

Durandal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that charging up weapons (alt fire) uses more power than it shows in the stats. If I'm charging up the guns, recharging shields, afterburning, and tractoring on this ship:

Then the battery power drops pretty fast.

On those old models, there was no better way to use the spots anyway. Razz

That ship shreds just about anything in one blast, including swarms. Very Happy
Zero G

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bombs with no ammo...kewl. Bombs and beams are a lot of fun. However, bombs aren't as effective as plasma torpedoes and beams only have an advantage when fighting the Zone 5 Boss.

If you hang out in Zone 1 you can have the best config in the game which will easily take you to the end of the game without getting shot (Plasma Torps are just that unbalanced). The two energy weapons (any will do) I only put on for mining.

Bombs and beams have a lot of cool factor but dont do any better at actually killing enemies.

I will say one thing for the Carsomyr; the lack of bays makes for a good economy class ship, useful for players who get killed a lot. Wink
Durandal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero G wrote:
Bombs with no ammo...kewl.

Considering 1 shot takes out an entire screen, six rounds is all I ever need.

Zero G wrote:
bombs aren't as effective as plasma torpedoes

No, but torps take up a primary weapon slot.

Zero G wrote:
beams only have an advantage when fighting the Zone 5 Boss

Wrong. After hitting fire, rotate your ship. Instant death to anything you point at, and you can cover at least a 180 arc.

Zero G wrote:
Bombs and beams have a lot of cool factor but dont do any better at actually killing enemies.

Wrong again... torps and beams take out whole screens OF SMALL SHIPS at about the same rate. Against mining vessels or motherships, beams far surpass torps.

Six Ion guns would probably take out those small enemies even faster, but you lose range and have a big disadvantage vs armored targets.

Zero G wrote:
I will say one thing for the Carsomyr; the lack of bays makes for a good economy class ship, useful for players who get killed a lot.

Hah. I have yet to die in it. Can't say the same for my torpedo boat.
DaiShiva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: ships Reply with quote

Once i had beams i never used anything else

great for mining, just turn on the collector, shoot a rock and the resources come flying. Full payload in no time

used em all thru zone 5. The bombers dont last long when targeted, and the smaller ships die even faster, just shoot and rotate. The alt fire takes too long and has too short of a range for it to be of much use

flying death, weee
MyrddinE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Durandel wrote:
Considering 1 shot takes out an entire screen, six rounds is all I ever need.

I'd just like to point one thing out... you don't have 6 shots. You have 3.75 shots. One bomb bay holds 3 shots, and you use 4 shots PER USE... so on the fourth time you fire your bombs, the 3 bombs in the bomb bay all get shot.

Not that I disagree with your point... when using bombs as backup, there's no reason to use them all the time. But might I make a suggestion? Try dropping 2 of the bombs, and replacing them with 2 more bomb bays. You can still fire a full 4, it just takes 1 more second, and you don't have to waste 4 on a situation that only needs 2. Not only that, but your weight will drop, making you a lot more maneuverable.
GavinStrife

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually not a huge fan of the little bomb thingies... They weigh a ton and don't go very well with my ship's configuration. Do the bombs launch relative to where they're positioned on the ship itself? They seem to always trail behind me, which, if I'm shooting them at an enemy, isn't where I want them to go...

Anywho, I haven't gotten the beam weapons yet, so I run with 4 L4 blasters, 2 L4 Ions, 2 L3 bomb thingies, 2 Beam drones, and all the normal stuff... L4 generator, batteries, gravity thing, ect... The one thing I can't figure out is wether or not the mass of the ship affects how fast it moves. I've been wanting to make a little speedy ship with the Avenger build or below (assuming that changes speed as well) just for mining, but fast enough to maneuver out of harms way... was going to make it tiny and just use Rockets or something simple hehe.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bombs dont't launch relative to where they are positioned as you can put them anywhere, normal weapons do as they go in specific slots.

If an engine is not being over-driven then the ship will be quick and nimble, as you over-drive the engine the handling falls off and acceleration and decceleration are reduced.

So you can't change a ships top speed as such, you can just limit its acceleration making it very sluggish. Ideal handling comes from not over-driving the engine by putting too much mass in the hull.
CidHighwindFF7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? It seemed whenever I put a L.4 Engine and a L.3 Generator (just enough to power the engine) and nothing else on a Runabout, it would go darned fast...
Tangent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a level 4 engine and battery do seem to make the Prowler go very fast, but then again, look at the mass a level 4 engine is supposed to push around. There is just no way for a Proweler to even reach any where close to enough mass to strain a level 4 engine...
Val

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 lvl 4 beams
2 missile drones
2 or 4 bombs(cant remember)
a bomb bay or two
a battery or two
Of course lvl 4 engine and generator lv3 tractor

Beams just kill things period..
6 Beams kill better than 6 ion in the last zone,
6 Beams kill better than 6 Blaster in the last zone
6 Beams kill better than 6 Torpedo in the last zone
GavinStrife

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe just a quick edit, I switched out my blasters for lvl 4 Beams and kept the Ions (i don't care what anyone says, I love em...they keep firing quick, and hit multiple targets, making the next pass that much easier to destroy!)... One thing I can't figure out is where everyone is having energy difficulties... I can fire constantly, zip around with afterburners, charge up, charge my cell phone, vaccum out the ship, and run several dozen hair dryers in the back of my ship and I still don't run out of power... the lights did dim a little, but thats because I was running the lights of a small country at the same time... Rolling Eyes
CidHighwindFF7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. Just lol. You idd have Lance Armstrong in the back with a pedal bike, right? Oh wait. thats what a Lvl. 2 Generator is, nvm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: