FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Mr. Robot via Steam -- Gamepad Trouble
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr. Robot Support View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Mr. Robot via Steam -- Gamepad Trouble Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Looks like you have an assert() call failing somewhere in the joystick initialization routines for Mr. Robot. I just bought a copy via Steam, and with or without joysticks connected, I'm afraid I can't get Mr. Robot to start. Essentially all I'm doing is double clicking on the Mr. Robot icon in the "My Games" list in Steam. The result is the initial black screen with the "Loading." word down at the bottom, and then a dialog pops up with the following information:

Code:
Assert failed!
Expression: 0
File: .\Source\MPDInput.cpp
Line: 1684
Function: CMPDInput::ScanForJoysticks

Call Stack:
00506FA5 0012ECF4 0001:00105FA5 c

Interesting call stack, btw -- you guys aren't doing anything crazy like random asm {} calls in your code, are ya? =op

Anywho, clicking Abort or Break pretty much kills the game every time. Fortunately, it seems that the Ignore and Ignore Always buttons allow the game to start. Interestingly enough, despite the assert failure, my gamepad /does/ work once the game has started. I'm lucky in the fact that I've a dual-head machine as the dialog pops underneath the actual game window -- I had to move it to the other screen to even see what it was.

In this case, I'm playing the game on a Windows Vista machine with the following stats:

Code:
Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit)
Dual Dual-core Intel Xeon 5160s @ 3GHz
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1900 PCI-E
Logitech Rumblepad 2 USB

Any ideas? I'm currently running the latest WHQL certified Catalyst drivers as well, but being a software engineer myself, I have a feeling that's most unlikley the problem. =o)

According to Steam I have the latest version.

Thanks guys! =o)
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the non-Steam version, so I downloaded a demo version through Steam to try this (I'm presuming that Steam, like the normal version the download is the full game and just needs to be unlocked, so it probably shouldn't make a difference).

Test 1: Dust off my old gamepad (admittedly it's completely different, a Belkin N40, with neither analog sticks nor rumble that I got for about 5 bucks on sale). Loads fine! Though for some reason I can skip the opening text but not navigate any of the menus with it.

Test 2: Dust off my old joystick, a Gravis (yeah, it's old) Destroyer Aftershock (again, was on sale). Also loads fine, but again, can't navigate the menus.

Test 3: Taking things to new heights of uselessness, I plug in both at once. Loads fine, but for some reason (I'm guessing because it's listed first in the Windows game controllers list), only the joystick's buttons can skip the opening crawl. Neither works in menus though.

In short, I'm blaming your gamepad! You might want to wait for an official reply from Moonpod though.

In case it matters, here's my specs:
Windows XP Home SP3
Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2.4GHz
3GB RAM
Nvidia GF9600GT
and as stated earlier, pathetically old and cheap Belkin N40 gamepad and Gravis Destroyer Aftershock joystick.

As for the problems I'm having... good thing I prefer the good old keyboard (although if you saw my keyboard you'd see why).
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. That's DirectX failing to return information about your joystick.

I'd say either something isn't set up properly on your machine or the drivers need an update. Sound possible?

OR

That particular joystick doesn't support the saturation property - that's a value to let us know when an axis is at it's maximum. Pretty standard feature to ask about, I've certainly never heard of a joystick that can't return that value. It works if you just continue because we use a default value if we don't get the proper one.

I suppose we just need to quietly continue instead of reporting the error. I'll make that change in the next version.
mondoshawan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry. That's DirectX failing to return information about your joystick.

I'd say either something isn't set up properly on your machine or the drivers need an update. Sound possible?

Mm. Maybe. Though other games don't seem to have a problem with this. I regularly play X2, X3, and Vendetta Online which all use joysticks rather heavily and don't have an issue, so either you're assert()ing when you should be using a default value, or something else is borked.

TBH, the error occurs regardless of whether or not the joystick is plugged in, and this joystick doesn't have drivers -- AFAICT, it just uses the default HID drivers for the Joystick class of device.

Quote:
That particular joystick doesn't support the saturation property - that's a value to let us know when an axis is at it's maximum. Pretty standard feature to ask about, I've certainly never heard of a joystick that can't return that value. It works if you just continue because we use a default value if we don't get the proper one.

Good to know. I may write a test app to check for it, myself. My interest has been piqued.

Quote:
I suppose we just need to quietly continue instead of reporting the error. I'll make that change in the next version.

Making it quietly continue seems like the right course of action -- most average users wouldn't be able to figure out what the heck is happening, which would lead to lots of frustration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr. Robot Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: