FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Convince Konedima: PS3 or 360?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  360 or PS3?  

Xbox 360
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
PS3
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 5  

Author
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Convince Konedima: PS3 or 360? Reply with quote

Yes I know Fost posted one of these threads before, but thats about a year old and things change.

I'm sure a list of recently purchased games would help a recommendation, so...

PC: The Orange Box, LOTR: BFME2 (was cheap), Oblivion
Wii: SSBB, Mario Kart Wii, Mercury Meltdown Revolution (was uber cheap).

A mostly full list can be found at http://au.gamespot.com/users/konedima/games_table?mode=own. It's reasonably up to date although I have no doubt that it's missing a few things I forgot during my semi-frequent updates.

So, convince me! I'd like to know must have games/features.

Last edited by Konedima on Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS3 just announced a hidef freeview tv addon in the UK for $130 that lets you use the PS3 hard drive to record movies. You can use a PSP to watch them too. Not sure if this available world wide though.

I think I'd go for the X360 though, but for slightly niche reasons. You can have a play with XNA and get a game running on it - woo! It's a shame Sony haven't done something similar. What would be really great is if Sony took M$ up on their offer and ported XNA to it - ho ho.

Braid, Geometry Wars2 and Castle Crashers look great too.
SethP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS3? That thing's still kickin' around?

Honestly, I've heard next to nothing about the PS3 or any games coming out for it. The last news I heard was that Final Fantasy lost its playstation exclusivity, so now there's really zero incentive for me to want to buy one.

On the other hand, the Xbox has XNA, will soon have the community arcade store, Mass Effect (which rocked my world), and Fable II (the original was fun, and this one looks well done at least).

Also, I don't know if it's true (or if it's just for US markets), but there's been some rumors floating around about a possible 360 price cut in the coming months. So Engagdet tells me, anyway.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you're at it convince me too.

The both have armored core 4 and 4answer. At this point I think that is one of the only things I would buy a console for. A PS3 could also play the outher AC games as well and has free online.

But the Xbox is about a hundred dollars cheaper.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far...

Xbox 360
XNA
Many good XBLA games
Cheaper... $500 for the pro, $650 for the elite, $700 for a PS3 (although when it came out it cost a whole $1000... went down pretty quick), Wii is $400 for reference. I'd probably go for the pro.

PS3
Plays blu-ray movies (doesn't really matter to me, my TV will only go up to 720p and at that resolution I can't see a great difference in detail, at least on HDTV... doesn't mean I can't give it credit for it though).
Will play a couple of my PS2 games... probably (I wouldn't count on it though).
Free online (but is there much worth playing?)
Might possibly find something semi-useful to do with my dusty old PSP (the last game I bought for it was... GTA: Liberty City Stories?!?!?)

Also helpful would be a list of "must have" games for each console. Please note that if a game comes out on console and PC, I prefer the PC version unless the console version is significantly better.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konedima wrote:

Cheaper... $500 for the pro, $650 for the elite, $700 for a PS3 (although when it came out it cost a whole $1000... went down pretty quick), Wii is $400 for reference. I'd probably go for the pro.

At first I was confused but than I realized you were talking in Australian dollars.
For us Yankees its 400 for an xbox 500 for a playstation and 300 for the wii.*

*Prices based off of fuzzy logic averages from a google product search. Your millage may vary, Icarus is not marketed as any sort of financial guide and talking to me does not imply any sort of accountant-client relationship.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, so the consoles are only overpriced by $50-$150* (roughly) dollars. As opposed to games, which are overpriced by about $50 each. And people wonder why so many Aussies import or download games (well, often waiting months may have something to do with it, but it's not entirely responsible).

*Amounts based on rudimentry currency conversion using Google. Your mileage may vary. Konedima is not marketed or intended to be any sort of financial guide and using Konedima is considered a crime against humanity punishable by the UN. Konedima recommends that all complaints be delivered in envelopes filled with anthrax to icarus.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy an X360 over the PS3 and Wii just for XNA, not that it's a particularly useful language to learn or that M$ are trying to actually be helpful - they aren't.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19620

But it's the only console to offer a game development option for the public, which I think is absolutely shameful for Sony and Nintendo.

Most of the big blockbuster games end up ported to the PC eventually, plus to be honest they seem to be more and more genre specific and suffering from sequelitus. The interesting games are in the download channels i.e. cheap, quick and easy, sometimes innovative. X360 has the biggest selection, because of the free XNA games.

Online is a big part of the 360, it's something I would regularly dip into, but some people put hours and hours into it and I wouldn't do that (same reason I avoid getting addicted to MMOs). The PS3 and Wii don't offer a unified multiplayer backend and leave it to each game to sort out, which isn't good.

x360 - castle crashers, braid, geometry wars, carcassonne, mutant storm empires, ace combat 6, chromehounds, civilization revolution, crackdown, final fantasy. Looking promising - fable2, deadspace, resident evil5

ps3 - flow, motor storm, metal gear solid, gran turismo. Looking promising - little big planet. Some of the x360 list are available here though.

I think the PS3 should see it's second wind of games next year i.e. when developers finally decipher how it works. It won't be a massive difference, but it should put it marginally ahead of the X360 in tech. I think we'll see more physics content.

The problem for both consoles is what is happening on the Wii. All the publishers have taken note of it's success, hence silly comments from M$ and Sony about it being a fad and the Wii fit board being a gimmick. It's sold too strongly for too long now, all the publishers are moving resources into casual game development on all 3 consoles. If that continues to pay off we'll see less and less effort put into new AAA blockbusters except for the sequels. Casual games cost less to make and appear to sell more (brain training, Guitar Hero, Wii fit, Wii sports, cooking mama) - nuff said. Just depends on whether this trend continues and there's no sign of it stopping yet. It is odd though, I have a Wii and nearly everyone I know does too, yet none of them play much if at all, but they just keep selling anyway? Wii outsells 360/PS3 2:1 and the DS beats all of them! Top selling games at the moment are WiiFit, Madden Football and Guitar Hero.

Still, the PC now has way more powerful graphics and CPU tech available, but we've reached the point where the difference is marginal. The new ATI 4870X2 is shockingly powerful, way too expensive at the mo, but the technology feeds down the line and the prices drop quickly.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/4870-x2-amd,1992.html

If you are a graphics whore then I think you'll see the PC leave the consoles well behind next year. The programmability offered by DX11 should allow for some amazing eye candy IF publishers have money spare from all their casual work to develop on it.

Next year we'll have 8 core cpus running 16 threads in hardware, plus intel will release their larrabee graphics processor which sounds like a way more powerful version of the PS3 cell chip. So maybe you should save your money Smile
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
I'd buy an X360 over the PS3 and Wii just for XNA, not that it's a particularly useful language to learn or that M$ are trying to actually be helpful - they aren't.

Nice that it's out there but yeah Microsoft could be a little more helpful. (Gets idea) War Pong Xbox, hmm....
Poo Bear wrote:
Most of the big blockbuster games end up ported to the PC eventually

Yeah, and in this case I prefer to get the PC versions for the controls, the only thing that doesn't work on PC is platformers IMO. Maybe I just haven't played any good ones.
Poo Bear wrote:
The interesting games are in the download channels i.e. cheap, quick and easy, sometimes innovative. X360 has the biggest selection, because of the free XNA games.

LostWinds! Although that's about all on WiiWare that I find worth playing. User generated content is always good though, if people didn't take it upon themselves to better things we wouldn't have games like Counter-Strike (although when I put it that way...).
Poo Bear wrote:
Online is a big part of the 360, it's something I would regularly dip into, but some people put hours and hours into it and I wouldn't do that (same reason I avoid getting addicted to MMOs).
XBL costs money, that's about my only problem with it. Although I seem to have mostly cut my WoW addiction, down to an hour or two a day, maybe something about having 3 level 70s makes me want to play less. (Sees Wrath on the horizon) Oh ****.
Poo Bear wrote:
The PS3 and Wii don't offer a unified multiplayer backend and leave it to each game to sort out, which isn't good.

Not that I've seen a great deal of it, but isn't PSN like XBL? Wii online could do with a major overhaul (curse you friend codes!).

(My comments in brackets).
Poo Bear wrote:
x360 - castle crashers (haven't read too much about it but looks awesome), braid (looks awesome), geometry wars (pew pew pew and such), carcassonne (i like the physical version, never have anyone to play with, probably the same reason I don't buy WoW trading cards), mutant storm empires (see castle crashers), ace combat 6 (not my thing), chromehounds (see castle crashers), civilization revolution (my brain refuses to recognise the possibility of it being recognised as a civ game), crackdown (mayhem and carnage, always fun), final fantasy (never played any but I like games like them so maybe), dead rising (okay that one was added by me, but zombie killing is, with few exceptions, fun). Looking promising - fable2 (ooh, the possiblities), deadspace (with pause!), resident evil5 (i don't find it racist, just convenient)

ps3 - flow (pacman 2k), motor storm (arcade racers i like), metal gear solid (does snake have a heart attack yet?), gran turismo (sim racers i don't). Looking promising - little big planet (how many other game titles contain oxymorons?. Some of the x360 list are available here though.

Poo Bear wrote:
I think the PS3 should see it's second wind of games next year i.e. when developers finally decipher how it works. It won't be a massive difference, but it should put it marginally ahead of the X360 in tech. I think we'll see more physics content.

You have to at least give the developers credit for mostly getting rid of gratuitous motion controls while Wii games are sitll plagued with them.
Poo Bear wrote:
The problem for both consoles is what is happening on the Wii. All the publishers have taken note of it's success, hence silly comments from M$ and Sony about it being a fad and the Wii fit board being a gimmick. It's sold too strongly for too long now, all the publishers are moving resources into casual game development on all 3 consoles. If that continues to pay off we'll see less and less effort put into new AAA blockbusters except for the sequels. Casual games cost less to make and appear to sell more (brain training, Guitar Hero, Wii fit, Wii sports, cooking mama) - nuff said. Just depends on whether this trend continues and there's no sign of it stopping yet. It is odd though, I have a Wii and nearly everyone I know does too, yet none of them play much if at all, but they just keep selling anyway? Wii outsells 360/PS3 2:1 and the DS beats all of them! Top selling games at the moment are WiiFit, Madden Football and Guitar Hero.
I'm sure I read somewhere that Wii has the lowest console sales:game sales ratio... I got mine on launch day and I now have a grand total of 7 (retail) games and a handful of downloaded ones. Although I may not be the best example since I got my PSP and DS at launch at have 5 and 8 games respectively.
Poo Bear wrote:
Still, the PC now has way more powerful graphics and CPU tech available, but we've reached the point where the difference is marginal. The new ATI 4870X2 is shockingly powerful, way too expensive at the mo, but the technology feeds down the line and the prices drop quickly.
Not quickly enough, considering how quickly new stuff comes out. At least consoles are only updates once every few years.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got convinced enough... bought a 360. So far I haven't had much time to play with it. I just spent half an hour getting it online, since wireless adaptors are $150 (!) and the room the router is in is generally inaccessible (long story), so I have to use my computer as a bridge. Not that I think I'll be doing that much, since I could only really afford the console and extended warranty, good thing it comes with a couple of games but no live subscription (yet).

I'll probably post some more thoughts later (just downloaded NXE).

Last edited by Konedima on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ren Fraggle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone's going to take this opportunity to fix Konedima's grammar.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep staring forlornly in the game shop window at 360s. The only game that isn't available on PC that stands out for me is Fable2. Fable1 was probably the only game I completed on the XBox, other than Halo of course. Nowhere near as clever as Peter Molyneux claimed, in fact it was pretty basic, but I enjoyed it.

Why did I just buy WiiFit ?
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
Why did I just buy WiiFit ?
I'd like to answer that, but I don't think I can in a way that won't get me banned.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ren Fraggle wrote:
I wonder if anyone's going to take this opportunity to fix Konedima's grammar.
Just try it, I dare you.
Sorry for the double post, but I only noticed your post now.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put in an order for Guitar Hero World Tour (I'm a bit late to the party, so I'll probably have to wait until after Christmas, but I got a good deal). That left me fairly short on cash so I bought a 3000 point card... now I'm just not sure what to buy. Any suggestions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: