FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Random game design.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Random game design. Reply with quote

I'm bored and haven't posted in a while.* So I decided to let an idea out.
I have recently discovered Touhou and have become adicted to its flasing lights, blippy music, and cute protagonist. While I was guiding my shrine maden though fields of bullets I got to thinking of starscape and what it did to asteroids. What if someone made a starscape like game in the curtain shooter genre.
Take a simple and proven gameplay concept, Add customization options, a free roaming environment, and totaly turn it on its head with added depth.

So I got to thinking. Imagine a SHUMP where you move in any direction with the arrow keys and aim your weapons with the mouse (ala crimsonland) When you kill your enemies you can pick up peices of them which can be used to customize your abilities and appearance. With effort you could tweak yourself to emulate any NPC in the game (excepting the final boss)

The Player would take on the role of a computer program in cyberspace that has gained sentience. Enemies would be viruses and Antivirus software. The game would have a Tron esque techno, cyberpop aesthetic. I would go more in deapth but "A story is not a game design"

The story would be mostly non linear and have a free roaming enviroment. The only thing that is set in stone is the beginning of the game and the Final boss. A skilled player could finish the game in under and hour by hunting down the final boss without doing anything else. However the "Fun" in the game would idealy come form dicking around, finishing suidequests, and upgrading your character. The more you explore, the more complex the story would become. Thus somone who likes to "Win" will have fun with a quick chalange and someone who likes "Deep" stories will have fun exploring the meaning of existence. Similarly someone who likes grinding for "upgrades" will also have fun hunting down rare weapons.

Does this sound like a good idea?

*am I still the unofficial #1 non moderator postcount?
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Random game design. Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
I'm doing my best, but with limited success.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An any direction scrolling bullet hell shooter with crimsonland control scheme, sounds interesting - the first thing to do would be to make a prototype. That control scheme requires you to be aware of two points - the ship and the aim point, that might make it hard to navigate through the fields of bullets. Plus, I don't think I've ever seen a bullet hell game that wasn't constrained to scroll in one axis. The tricky thing is creating thick, screen filling bullet patterns while being certain there is always a way through. I suspect scrolling in 2 axes might make that harder to do. That's a couple of vital questions that need answering early on I think.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Random game design. Reply with quote

icarus wrote:

1787 posts and counting Smile
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Random game design. Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
icarus wrote:

1787 posts and counting Smile
Out of curiosity, is there any penalty for spamming, or will you just delete them and they won't count?

Of course I could just stick to good old fashioned trolling.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't get any spammers since I installed the Kitten Auth mod.

Icarus' troll mod* stops the post count.
Will probably go if I ever get round to updating the board to phpbb olympus.

*In reality, this is more of a badge of honour than an actual troll criticism, I think he'd be upset if we removed it Smile
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
An any direction scrolling bullet hell shooter with crimsonland control scheme, sounds interesting - the first thing to do would be to make a prototype. That control scheme requires you to be aware of two points - the ship and the aim point, that might make it hard to navigate through the fields of bullets. Plus, I don't think I've ever seen a bullet hell game that wasn't constrained to scroll in one axis. The tricky thing is creating thick, screen filling bullet patterns while being certain there is always a way through. I suspect scrolling in 2 axes might make that harder to do. That's a couple of vital questions that need answering early on I think.

Well with full 2d movement the trick to winning would be to flank.
Enemies would spawn and try to come at you from more than two directions. To beat them the best strategy would be two find gaps in the fire and go around them, Than take them from behind.

Stealing ideas form warning forever and its spiritual successor battleships forever.
Characters would be made of interconnected polygons that can be destroyed individually.
Some weapons could be used to block bullets, however these would only work in the direction you are facing, Making flanking important.
zwzsg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Random game design. Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
I have recently discovered Touhou and have become adicted to its flasing lights, blippy music, and cute protagonist. While I was guiding my shrine maden though fields of bullets I got to thinking.

Imagine a SHUMP where you move in any direction with the arrow keys and aim your weapons with the mouse (ala crimsonland).

The Player would take on the role of a computer program in cyberspace that has gained sentience. Enemies would be viruses and Antivirus software. The game would have a Tron esque techno, cyberpop aesthetic.

Sounds just like the game I released last week:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBpoIF0LmAs
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Random game design. Reply with quote

zwzsg wrote:
icarus wrote:
I have recently discovered Touhou and have become adicted to its flasing lights, blippy music, and cute protagonist. While I was guiding my shrine maden though fields of bullets I got to thinking.

Imagine a SHUMP where you move in any direction with the arrow keys and aim your weapons with the mouse (ala crimsonland).

The Player would take on the role of a computer program in cyberspace that has gained sentience. Enemies would be viruses and Antivirus software. The game would have a Tron esque techno, cyberpop aesthetic.

Sounds just like the game I released last week:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBpoIF0LmAs

DAM that is scary.
Only difference is the characters in my game would be Vector Graphic anime people instead of geometric shapes. Also Wouldn't have a 3d background (so you used an RTS engine?)
zwzsg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Random game design. Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
so you used an RTS engine?
Yeah. Though it's more because I'm much more used to modding TA and Spring than anything else.

And to tell the truth, I didn't really make this. KDR_11k is the one who made Kernel Panic, and who then added a Touhou faction to it. I merely twisted his work, adding stupid mod options like this one that turn a fine RTS into that unsteady shoot'n'run.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Random game design. Reply with quote

zwzsg wrote:
icarus wrote:
so you used an RTS engine?
Yeah. Though it's more because I'm much more used to modding TA and Spring than anything else.

And to tell the truth, I didn't really make this. KDR_11k is the one who made Kernel Panic, and who then added a Touhou faction to it. I merely twisted his work, adding stupid mod options like this one that turn a fine RTS into that unsteady shoot'n'run.

I figured that much. But it's an awesome job turning an RTS into a SHUMP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: