FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Problem mapping buttons to wireless Xbox 360 Controller
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr. Robot Support View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Problem mapping buttons to wireless Xbox 360 Controller Reply with quote

I'm using the Reflexive version of Mr. Robot, with WinXP SP2.

Whenever I try to map a button to a specific command, the mapping window briefly pops up, but too quickly for me to fill in a command, and it auto fills in the command "(0)".

This happens automatically to any command that I try to reassign on the Xbox controller. As a result I have to stick with the default config and can't map the Info or PDA commands to my controller.

Any idea why this might be as I really, really want to be able to map the PDA command to my controller? It's really inconvenient having to lean over and press the keyboard for the Info and PDA commands every time.

Alternatively, is there a way of manually editing the config file to fill in the commands myself? If so, where do I find the config file?

Thanks for the great game!
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a wired 360 pad with XPsp2 and everything is fine, I'm confused.

Try increasing the deadzone setting.

Check the pad is setup properly:
1. click run -> settings -> control panel -> game controllers
2. you should just see the one X360 pad
3. if you click properties you should see everything is stable, nothing should be flickering or moving - if it is then the pad is wonky or needs reinstalling.
ervler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already adjusted the dead zone - I found it incredibly difficult to control until I did so.

Unfortunately, I still can't map any keys Sad

I suppose there's not much you can do if you can't replicate the problem.

Any chance of pointing me towards a control config file that I can edit manually?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, there isn't an external controller config file, it's all bound up within the save data.
Ren Fraggle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the controller have any toggle switches, or do you have any other controllers plugged in that do? I've had a problem like that before with a flight joystick, and I found that some games consider the toggle switch a button, and with the toggle turned on the game took that as the button being constantly pressed.

If that doesn't work, maybe see if that happens in other games. If it does work, try and find out which control on the xbox 360 controller gets mapped to control 0.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point - it could be the 360 controller is a red herring and it's some other device. Do you have a Saitek keyboard? There is a well known driver bug in some of those that causes spurious output that windows reports as a game controller - eek!
DavivMcD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to mention I have this EXACT problem, but with a regular wired 360 controller. I have no drivers installed for my gamepad, keyboard, or mouse. Nothing in the Windows game controller config is 'twitching' or blinking. The odd thing I find about this error is that there IS NO '(0)' control from the 360 controller as far as I know. There are buttons 1-10 (or sometimes 0-9), an X Y and Z axis, X/Y rotation, and a PoV Hat. The only button that I normally can't map to any game is the XBOX logo button in the middle; perhaps that's causing a problem somehow?

Also, I was able to remap buttons perfectly fine with the Mr. Robot Demo. Literally 5 minutes after it worked fine with the demo, I ran into problems with the full version. I'm using both versions through Steam.

Oh and I'm using Vista, but the OP said he's using XPsp2 so I don't think that's the issue.

EDIT: I just encountered 2 related problems that may shed some light on the issue.

1) When I try to assign a button to 'info', it sets it immediately to '(0)'. However, when I try to assign a button to 'pda', it sets it AND the controls for 'left' and 'up', all to '(0)'. What's up with that eh?

2) OK I figured this one out as I was typing it. It's not related to the current issue but it's still something that could use a fix. If you cancel out of creating your first profile, then go try to change controls while no profile is active, it crashes as soon as you try to save the new settings or revert to the previous ones.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to play the troll here and say that I'd be testing this if Microsoft hadn't discontinued the wireless controller adapters in Australia (making them literally impossible to find... I'll have to import one sometime).

My point? Blame Microsoft.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a real head scratcher, my wired 360 pad works fine. I used to recommend it as it was the best pad I'd ever tried.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got my hands on a wireless 360 controller adapter (had to buy an extra controller with it though... now I have 3) - I wasn't able to replicate the problem. Buttons mapped fine. Of course I did get this when I went back from the control screen...

After clicking Ignore, it worked fine. Of course, I thought I'd create a new profile (because it's been so long since I played, I'd forgotten where I was up to or what I was supposed to be doing... and I felt like it)...

This is starting to get annoying... So, I saw something in the controls I wanted to get a screenshot of (for some reason in the control listing where it should have said right it said dead zone - I couldn't get a screenshot as it only happened once)... anyway I accidentally clicked options by mistake, so naturally I click back...

I think I'm seeing a pattern here. Anyway I quit the game and turned off my gamepad (which for some reason the only way to do with a wireless 360 controller is unplugging the battery), go back in to the game and choose the first option on the main menu...

I could probably just click Ignore Always, but that would remove the fun of complaining.

All this is after I managed to get the game running (it would crash on startup, I forgot to get a screenshot, probably something to do with almost all the hardware in my computer being different to when I last played it... reinstalled and it worked fine. Oh, and updated to the latest version. My point is that I had no problem mapping buttons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr. Robot Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: