FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Latest Editor Documentation / Requests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> User Adventures View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm really sorry - part of the problem right now is lack of time on our part. None of this has been forgotten.
Slyh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crussh wrote:
Oh... :( I was planning on making some adventures but I pretty much dont know anything about the editor. >.<
So I thought "Eh what the hell, i'll just sit back and play with the editor until Fost releases more editor documentation."
And im still waiting. ^^

Huh? The editor is not that hard to use. And the documentation is quite good as it is. (Some of the information can only be found on this board, though.) Some quite complex user adventures have already been released before even any (real) documentation was out. So I think it's quite possible to already use the editor to create one's own user adventure.
If there are problems, there are plenty of people here who can help.
Crussh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, i know you probably have alot to do anyway with christmas coming up.
Btw was the conveyor belt switch idea possible?
Crussh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slyh wrote:
Crussh wrote:
Oh... Sad I was planning on making some adventures but I pretty much dont know anything about the editor. >.<
So I thought "Eh what the hell, i'll just sit back and play with the editor until Fost releases more editor documentation."
And im still waiting. ^^

Huh? The editor is not that hard to use. And the documentation is quite good as it is. (Some of the information can only be found on this board, though.) Some quite complex user adventures have already been released before even any (real) documentation was out. So I think it's quite possible to already use the editor to create one's own user adventure.
If there are problems, there are plenty of people here who can help.

Yea but im stupid! >_< Heres a list of things i have problems with in the editor: Water, bollards, ghost hacking and dialogs
punman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water - use the water dynamic object. Ignore the water tab.

The M key is NOT a short cut for 'move block'. Instead it is a short cut for 'exit editor quickly without saving'

give bollards names. Put those names into the target field of floorswitches. you can target more than one bollard by putting in a list of the names. example: bollard1,bollard2. Numpingson is how many switches need to be pressed down at the same time to turn the bollard on.

Last edited by punman on Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zharmad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can write up things about that... Razz
But, very briefly:

Water:
- Generally hard to work with if you plonk it down before all the scenery is done.
- Like punman said, use the dynamic object and not water tab.
- The selection square for a water body is actually shifted 1/2 a block to the left of the initial corner. So if you place a body of water at x=2, y=2, z=3 then you need to look between (1.5, 2, 2.5) and (2,2,3) to select it again. This is necessary information when you want to delete it. This is why you want water last.
- Alternatively find the dynamic number for water and delete it directly from the config file.
- Measure all your hexes (edit: heh, lapse) before you lay down water. I find it's much harder to move water around than to delete and make another one. By this I mean that you should measure out all the dimensions - a floor plan in a grid book might help.
- - - - -
- Water level changes are script driven, all water levels in the room gets modified by this command
- BIG HINT: If you want to line up a block floating in water with the edge, add 0.375 to its level.
Practically speaking, say you want to push a block across a pool of coolant to the other side by paving the pool with extra blocks. If the ledge you are on is at height 4, the water height needs to be 4.375 (3 decimal places accuracy, by experience)
If you begin your water body at height 0, then you can set its h value to 4.375. If you place your water at (1,2,3), say, then its h value needs to be only 2.375.

Bollards:
- The editor is current a bit bugged if you want to use multiple switches/bollards targetting each other.
e.g. say you want three switches to push down two bollards, but have... (etc)
the problem is that when you go into the game and press the switches, they don't work as intended.
- This is because the editor has a habit of filling in too much information about the bollard, making it confused. This happens when you browse/edit all the possible setting you can put for the bollard - the editors fills in the default values when it sometimes shouldn't. Instead, use a text editor and search for the dynamic object number.

- Look for a few examples in other adventures. Look at the room config files:
you should see that, for bollards, NOT all fields are there. it might have an "initstate" and a "numpingson", but nothing else e.g. working bollards usually have about one to three lines in their dynamic tag. Editor bollards, if you screw around with its settings, always has the full five (or six?).
Switches can sometimes suffer from similar problems.
- Learn the on state and the off state for both bollard and switch. For bollards: Up is on, down is off (I think, yeah?) - regardless of how you set its initial state. Switches are the other way around: when you press a switch, it goes down and turns on. Stuff around a bit with a save file right next to the bollards/switches in question - see what setting you can do to make things work.

- These states will be useful if you decide to begin scripting those things. IS_DOWN, IS_UP, PRESSED, etc. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Dialogue:
- The first thing to do is to look at Huey adventure's first room, or some other first room where there is dialogue.
- You'll need to open and compare: the room script file, the corresponding text file in the chat folder.
- The basic flow of conversation, in terms of scripting, is to
- make an IF statement and trigger the playConversation("talkText") only once
- check whether the conversation is finished.
- continue with rest of script.

---------
With all Mr. Robot editor issues, studying other people's work is recommended. You WILL want to begin looking at scripts and room configs at some point and make good use of Notepad/Nedit/etc. - ghost hacking and dialogue requires scripts.

If you want to know what a dynamic object number is, the definitive way is to create a room, place ONE dynamic object in it, save, then peek at the config file. Everything single object you create has its own indented tags in ##.config,

General layout of room.config, from memory, is:
- room information & description, these two form a solid block of stuff with no indents.

- all the static objects in the order you place them in the editor, every object has a number indicating the type, their XYZ coordinates in tiles, etc. Doors are found here with extra entries.

- all the dynamic objects in the order you place them in the editor. This is where bollards, energon, water, etc. go. Note that their XYZ and rotation are different, I think every 128 bits makes up 1 tile of static object. *Calculator time.*

- lighting information, this is also a solid block of stuff with no indents.

For general debugging, make sure you keep a few saves files at various points - and/or get good at solving your own puzzles. <- what I did. Very Happy[/b]

Have a try at setting up a set of sandbox rooms with all the things you want.
btw, conveyer belts changing directions is currently impossible. Belts are static objects, which can't be changed at all in a given room.*
If they became dynamic objects, on the other hand...

* I had an "oh wow..." moment. Make an exact copy of the room and switch the tiles around. I did this with the lighting and it was wonderfully shocking (IMO anyway). Of course, you need to be careful which room you want the player to enter at any time. To properly set up a puzzle this way, I can show you later how keyValues work.

=========
Actually, Fost - do you think a sandbox room with the editor documentation is a good idea. Very Happy
Zharmad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more Bollards:
Specifically, the settings numpingson and numpingsoff fight with each other, and the signal a switch sends in-game might be just "PING". Just be careful and you'll be fine.

========
Hehe, I believe we need a navigation tutorial in the editor like in some RTSes to kick things off.

"Lesson 1: Camera Panning"
"Welcome to the Mr. Robot editor o' (in)fame. If you cannot read what I'm saying in the main window, we suggest that you get a big-*** monitor now because you won't see the helpful tips in that *secret* corner over there. (*quietly* or, you can change the resolution instead.)"
"Begin by scrolling around the screen. No, don't move the selection box - the screen. Get yourself comfortable with using the arrow keys in a slanted way, if you haven't already done so in the main game. Let us zoom in on Asimov. Oh wait, how do you do that, did you ask? My friend, that's why you're here! Let me show you..."
Blizgerg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, reading what others have done and taking a peak at mrrobot.000 can really help with scripting IMO.

For Bollards, my approach is to always script them. That way I don't have to worry about numpingon or numpingoff or whatever and I can do things like have 6 switches and the bollard goes down if 5 (any 5) of them are pressed and goes up if less than 5 or more than 5 are pressed. The sky is the limit to the combinations you can do!

I submitted Adumbrate at the point it is mainly because I think I have done some really interesting things with that I wanted to show other people to inspire them. It has become obvious that this adventure will take me a long time to finish and I wanted others to see some of the nifty things that I thought I did. Like I have one room where a dummy robot uses lifts and wonders between dummy panels on different levels.
Crussh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i hope for ghost hacking help? Pwease?
Zharmad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

*to all* Has anyone tried to implement ghost hacking? Razz

Firstly, what do you actually want to do?
I've seen someone else ask questions a long time ago. Maybe over the NY break... I can't guarantee I'll get around to it though.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's this:

http://www.moonpod.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=24250#24250
Crussh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome ^^ thanxa thanxa!
Slyh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear, there is quite a big thread in the now deactivated Mr.Robot BETA Forum, which explains a lot concerning editor usage IIRC. (I think it was a sticky thread.) Could you maybe move this thread to this forum, as the Mr.Robot BETA forum is no longer accessible?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one?

http://www.moonpod.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2724
Crussh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did i mention that i need help with lifts too? Laughing
And moving platforms...and crate crushers...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> User Adventures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: