FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Latest Editor Documentation / Requests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> User Adventures View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the latest docs it says

Quote:
platforms/lifts
PING - make it start moving (message = ON) or make it stop (message = OFF)

as far as I can tell sending the OFF message does nothing. Sending off constantly on an active platform does nothing. If a platform is waiting and you send ping on a platform then ping off it acts like you only did a ping on. Am I misunderstanding how this is supposed to work?
Vyseblues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if there could a be a tutorial on how to create a "user created adventure". The tutorial would include step by step instructions on how to create a basic adventure. The guide would "break down" on what is going on and what controls what. This would be a great way for those who want to create their own adventure (like me).
Zharmad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are two basic tutorials at the moment - creating the first room and making bollard work. Are you looking for more of that kind of thing - or an overview of the whole process, e.g. tips on organising rooms and linking them, planning puzzles, etc?

If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask. Smile
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that beyond the current tutorial, I'll put together something that makes a complete adventure. Something simple with only a few rooms, but that shows off various features.

Sorry - we can't even look at the editor right now in the development version as it's the version we are giving to portals and it doesn't have the editor.
Vyseblues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only there were a way to actually talk to you instead of typing. It would be a better way to give ideas and tell what I would like to be done.

If you had Skype or AOL Instant Messenger, It could be done. Or just create a IRC room. So that way we could at least have a live conversation.
Vyseblues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
I think that beyond the current tutorial, I'll put together something that makes a complete adventure. Something simple with only a few rooms, but that shows off various features.

Sorry - we can't even look at the editor right now in the development version as it's the version we are giving to portals and it doesn't have the editor.

Soo... Basically you provide us the instructions to creating a simple game, explain what is happen, what controls what, what each part of the script means and we just build it, rght?
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vyseblues wrote:
If only there were a way to actually talk to you instead of typing.
If you had Skype or AOL Instant Messenger, It could be done. Or just create a IRC room. So that way we could at least have a live conversation.

Yeah that might be possible to do on a pre-timed basis. Problem I have with IM stuff in general is that it's a really poor way to organise your time with communication - it's just sits there in the background interrupting your work. I found when I turned messenger off, I got loads more work done, so I don't always have it on.

Vyseblues wrote:
Soo... Basically you provide us the instructions to creating a simple game, explain what is happen, what controls what, what each part of the script means and we just build it, right?

Yep - that sounds good. Editor docs are an ongoing project - I want to make them pretty much comprehensive. How have you found the current tutorials? They at least get you to the point of creating and linking two rooms. I think I should probably concentrate on more advanced features next though.

I'd quite like to get some youtube vids done too - I think when you watch someone do something it helps massively.
Vyseblues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Vyseblues wrote:
If only there were a way to actually talk to you instead of typing.

Yeah that might be possible to do on a pre-timed basis. Problem I have with IM stuff in general is that it's a really poor way to organise your time with communication - it's just sits there in the background interrupting your work. I found when I turned messenger off, I got loads more work done, so I don't always have it on.

Vyseblues wrote:
Soo... Basically you provide us the instructions to creating a simple game, explain what is happen, what controls what, what each part of the script means and we just build it, right?

Yep - that sounds good. Editor docs are an ongoing project - I want to make them pretty much comprehensive. How have you found the current tutorials? They at least get you to the point of creating and linking two rooms. I think I should probably concentrate on more advanced features next though.

I'd quite like to get some youtube vids done too - I think when you watch someone do something it helps massively.

I agree 100%.

I was thinking of the video thing too, but I thought that would be asking too much Smile , so I didn't suggest in my last post. But seeing that you want to do something like that without hesitation is a good thing. Hmm.. you should do it in a way like a teacher would do it or something like that. Razz

Off topic:

Is there a way to upload my own avatar? Cause I want something else besides the ones that are offered on the forums.

Well I would like to upload one of these for myself (both were created by me):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/Vyseblues/takeonebig.gif

or this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/Vyseblues/PrinceBruserpro.jpg
Inane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vyseblues wrote:

Off topic:

Is there a way to upload my own avatar? Cause I want something else besides the ones that are offered on the forums.

Well I would like to upload one of these for myself (both were created by me):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/Vyseblues/takeonebig.gif

or this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/Vyseblues/PrinceBruserpro.jpg

Fost is obsessive compulsive about avatars not matching his forum, which is why it's disabled. And he won't let you have your own custom avatar since then everyone would want one.
Smile
Vyseblues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if I made one to add to the list of avatars that are available? There could also be a new section of user created avatars.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to redo lots (LOTS!) of things on the forum once phpbb3 is complete - until then I'm not touching it. Reason for not allowing offsite avatars is they often make my eyes bleed (as has been proven by the few times we've allowed them - simonb I'm looking at you Smile )- but I suppose I could hack somehting in for myself that turns them off.

Anyway, when we get the new board is the time to shout at me to enable these things - looks like it could be reasonably soon, they are on release candidate 1.
Vyseblues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
I'm going to redo lots (LOTS!) of things on the forum once phpbb3 is complete - until then I'm not touching it. Reason for not allowing offsite avatars is they often make my eyes bleed (as has been proven by the few times we've allowed them - simonb I'm looking at you Smile )- but I suppose I could hack something in for myself that turns them off.

Anyway, when we get the new board is the time to shout at me to enable these things - looks like it could be reasonably soon, they are on release candidate 1.

I can make some tasteful avatars for the forum. I've never really had a bad avatar before.

Like these:

Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, It'll probably be easy enough to convince me to enable avatar uploading when I get phpbb3 up and running, sigs you'll have a harder time of though!
Vyseblues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats cool, but enough of avatars, lets get back on topic about the tutorial.
I think including some of the scripting from one of the areas from the main game would also be useful. It would just be an example to give an idea on what makes the game tick. You could also include lessons on understanding scripting, what each part of the script means, what it does, and how to debug.
Blizgerg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vyseblues have you looked at any of the user adventures as well? Some of them have some examples of stuff for the scripts. I am currently working on another user adventure (it is taking me a long time, I think I have bit off more than I can chew) that has a lot of very advanced scripting things going on.

For example, in one room I have a dummy robot that wonders around randomly (not impressive) and uses lifts and wonders around the platforms and up and down (this was a feat that I am rather proud of accomplishing).

I have been thinking it might be fun to have an alpha like release of what I have because I think some of the things I have done are so cool and I want to show everybody but it is most definitely not even close to being done. i.e. unsolvable rooms and dead ends and the duct maze will cause the map system to stop working and if you try to view the map it will cause an assert error etc.

Fost, it would be nice I think to have something for development and collaboration of adventures as was discussed elsewhere. I suppose you are waiting for the new forum version to make any more changes to how things work. But I think some way of releasing an adventure and the author being able to mark it as 'unfinished' might be something to keep in mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> User Adventures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: