FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Half life 2 is sick... Litaraly
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Half life 2 is sick... Litaraly Reply with quote

Well I just got my new laptop (pictures later) and I downloaded HL2 via steam. Its awesome but after a few hours I started to get nauseous.
I have heard about people getting motion sickness from games but I never thought it would happen to me.

I guess its just too realistic.
Sergenth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play some Extreme-G for the N64. When you finish puking from that one, go onto F-Zero GX for Gamecube and toughen your senses up even more.

You made me remember how, when playing Wolfenstein 3d and DOOM, it really, really felt neato to be able to move in 3d (I closed my eyes and saw twisting hallways!). Sadly, that feeling went away by the time Quake 2 was out -- my brain was too accustomed to 3d to give me a visceral sense of motion from an FPS.

Extreme-G gave me some of that vibe back soon afterward with its crazy roller-coaster motion at mach speed with a wide Field of View. For the first time in 5 years, I was feeling pleasant vertigo again. Descent also really felt great because it had the same type of balance-defying motion.

My experience was that the more I played faster 3d games, the more I could tolerate them. I don't like real, physical motion discomfort like stomach-dropping bumps on the road. I prefer visually-cued motion discomfort like what is felt sitting in the IMAX theater.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure it's realism - I once tested an indie game, which didn't look amazing, but had the ability to give me splitting migranes (and I'd never had a headache my entire life up until that point). It got so bad after 30 minutes that I ended up having to go to bed for the afternoon.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have played a few FPS in my day and this is the first time. Apparently I'm not the only one. Lots of people who have played many FPS games in the past without trouble have had problems with HL2. Heck I play kinetica without trouble but HL2 had me reaching for the vomit bag.

Well anyways I rested a bit and got past the Air boat level so I should be fine as long as I take breaks every few hours, like I am now (playing HL2 on one computer while posting on another Wink )
Tennants Lager

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergenth wrote:
Play some Extreme-G for the N64. When you finish puking from that one, go onto F-Zero GX for Gamecube and toughen your senses up even more...

...Extreme-G gave me some of that vibe back soon afterward with its crazy roller-coaster motion at mach speed with a wide Field of View. For the first time in 5 years, I was feeling pleasant vertigo again. Descent also really felt great because it had the same type of balance-defying motion.

Ah yes Extreme-G. There was a game I missed out on playing, though it always looked good in the reviews of gaming mags.
Magnulus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a stick in the mud, but for Half Life 2 to be literally sick, it would have to be a physical, organic being that suffered a mental or physical malady. Now, you COULD say it's literally sickening, but I suspect you've already stopped reading.

It's just that I see people misusing "literally" too often.
Tennants Lager

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnulus wrote:
Not to be a stick in the mud, but for Half Life 2 to be literally sick, it would have to be a physical, organic being that suffered a mental or physical malady. Now, you COULD say it's literally sickening, but I suspect you've already stopped reading.

It's funny how people say things like that, when that's exactly what they're doing. Rolling Eyes
Inane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tennants Lager wrote:

It's funny how people say things like that, when that's exactly what they're doing. Rolling Eyes

Uhh... That was a metaphor. He's talking about misusal of the word literally.
SethP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnulus wrote:

I know. When people do that it makes me want to rip their heads off. Literally Razz

Sorry, just couldn't resist.
HunterXI

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inane wrote:
Tennants Lager wrote:

Uhh... That was a metaphor. He's talking about misusal of the word literally.

I think that's just "misuse".
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to bring up an old topic, but having just gotten The Orange Box, I can say conclusively that Portal, is in fact, sicker, literally.

I can also say that if you plan to get the achievement in Portal for dropping 30,000 feet, it WILL take a while - get yourself a drink.

And finally (I seem to remember seeing a thread for this but I can't find it anywhere), I can conclusively say that I hate Steam. I shouldn't have to register my games online to play offline (registering online to play online however is worth it in the case of TF2), nor should I be restricted to playing on one computer at a time, which is half the reason I prefer PC games to consoles. I shouldn't have to install something just to install something else (especially when Steam fails TWICE to install it successfully - the first time it froze midway through, the second time I couldn't click the OK button on the dialog to insert the second disk, each time taking me over 15 minutes to get going again - I eventually got them installed but THEN I had to wait for them to update.

In short, Steam sucks, but like many necessary evils, it's probably here to stay. Portal on the other hand, is completely awesome, even if I do have to take breaks.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konedima wrote:
I can conclusively say that I hate Steam. I shouldn't have to register my games online to play offline

Presumably you bought the game from a shop? I didn't know you had to register before you could play, that's hardcore anti-piracy I guess. Presumably once registered you can play off-line? I too bought it in a box, but I already had steam and I'm permanently connected so I was unaware what was happening.

Konedima wrote:
nor should I be restricted to playing on one computer at a time, which is half the reason I prefer PC games to consoles.

The steam page says "don't worry if you need to reinstall your games on a new computer, just install steam and download them again". If you only have to go online once to register then how can it stop you installing on more than one computer?
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually prefer this type of system - it means you have an account somewhere that knows what games you have, and then you can just bin (or not even buy in the first place) all the physical media. There's to much unnecessary packaging as it is in the world and I think people need to start doing their bit to save the planet by getting over their physical media hang-ups.

I can understand what a pain it would be in an unconnected world, but this will cease to be an issue in ten years.
Slyh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
If you only have to go online once to register then how can it stop you installing on more than one computer?

It can't and it doesn't. I have Steam installed at home and at my parents' PC so I can play there when I visit them for several days. Steam just downloads the games I want to play and that's it.
As the games are bound to you account, only you can play them. So this is fine for Valve.

You could, however, share your login data with other persons. But then you should probably make sure that you don't log in at the same time, which I think would upset Valve sooner or later. :)
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I bought the game from a shop. You have to tie the game in to your Steam account before it will install them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know you can't be logged in on two computers at once, and while there is an offline mode, I'm assuming that it stops anybody else from using your account until you go back online.

When it comes to being able to download my games again, that's not really very useful to me... I'm on a 256k connection, so it would take days to download the games, which doesn't make it particularly useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: