FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Thoughts/issues/bugs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> User Adventures View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible for an author to upload an adventure but disallow approval? E.g., I might have an adventure that I don't feel is finished and I want to share it with adventure authors for feedback but don't want to risk it getting prematurely "approved".
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that myself earlier - some people might want collaboration tools. Now, I'm not sure what they would be, but to start with you would surely want to have the ability to only share with other adventure authors?

Perhaps an extra option on the adventure which allows/disallows approvals? which can be set on initial upload or any time after by the author?

Does that sound enough? I'll add it to the list of stuff to do if that's a good plan.
Blizgerg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think being able to share only with other adventures authors would be great.

One thing that I think might facilitate collaboration would be to have a way to easily add a room to an adventure from another adventure. I.e. Person one makes a few rooms on his machine and person two makes a few rooms on her machine, how do you combine these two sets of rooms into one adventure? Right now you have to decide which numbers each room is going to have and then edit them with a text editor then go in and reset all the door connections. It would be nice to have a utility that make this easier.

If we had infinite resources I think what would be a good way to do this is to have a drag and drop editor that lets you drag an outline of the room around and it snaps into place with the doors or something like that. Maybe think something like what the block diagram of LabVIEW looks like. But even a command line editor that produced an ascii art version of the map and let you type in room ids and door ids to merge a room from one adventure into another would be useful I think.

Another option for this would be to let adventures skip room ids. That is to say, be able to have roomids of 0,1,5. Right now if you try to do that, it doesn't work. That way you don't have to change all the room id numbers when merging two adventures together you just decide beforehand that person one will use ids 1-10 and person two will use ids 11-20 or something.

Edit: Note, I did not say such a utility had to be part of the editor. I could probably build something like a command line editor that generated a graphic for display in Java or C if I was sufficiently motivated. I have already built several small programs in Java that will auto generate a maze of rooms. (A maze of ducts is part of an idea that I have been playing around with and I have generated several sets of 10-150 room duct mazes)
Zharmad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since rooms are script-based, I imagine that you might just be able to convert a floor plan from a bitmap file or something. Color-coding the different pixels to indicate their type and using layers for different rooms or different height.
Embarassed Not a coder though so I can't imagine how hard that would be.

I have a maze of ducts too, but small, hand designed in semi-3D - I didn't want to run into problems with passage hiding behind one another in the camera view.

---
Expanding on the idea, perhaps if room groups were included in the identification of doors and room numbering? At the moment most user adventures have only one room group so it is possible to default this value to 0.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zharmad wrote:
Color-coding the different pixels to indicate their type and using layers for different rooms or different height.

Wouldn't you have a problem with overlapping blocks?

A room import button would be a handy addition. Best way for it to work would be if you create an existing room, then have the option to load a room config file in which would overwrite the current room. That way, you have no problems with the ordering of rooms in your existing adventure. will add it to consideration list. Some stuff like this I can actually do when messing about in my spare time. Mark currently has the weight of the world on his shoulders as far as work is concerned, so I like simple stuff that I might have a chance of putting together Smile
Blizgerg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a room import button would be an elegant and simple way to handle that. I have two computers that I switch between often, so I have had situations where I created a room on one computer and wished to add it to an existing adventure on another computer.

Another thing that might be handy is to implement versioning on a room by room basis. That is to say, something like, add a version tag inside the room config files that gets incremented every time you save and display the current version number in the corner of the editor window. And maybe make the number change colors if you have made changes and not saved yet or something. Having a way of telling you if you have saved would be nice too.

Now that I think about it, sense most of the adventure files are just ascii text, I could use some kind of CVS type utility on it... not that I know how to use CVS outside of my IDE plug in which automates everything for me. Smile

Another thing that might be nice to have is a way to swap room ids. (ie swap room 1 and 2 with each other and fix all the references etc.) I could write a command line utility to do this but it would be nice to have it in the editor so I don't have to exit the editor to make the change then rerun the editor. (I am lazy. Razz)
Zharmad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Wouldn't you have a problem with overlapping blocks?

Well, the only overlapping blocks I'm aware of are dynamic objects with invisiblocks/masking blocks. At least that's how I coded my rooms. The multi-block walls could be acounted for with a bit of coding...?
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zharmad wrote:
Well, the only overlapping blocks I'm aware of are dynamic objects with invisiblocks/masking blocks.

staircases, walkways, room dividers - lots of rooms have something on more than one level. at least in the main game.
Zharmad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, two floors on top of one another, i.e. on different z-axis coordinates? Like being able to walk around under a staircase?

Hmm... I always assumed that you'll have to use multiple maps. Not space efficient is it? Well, blueprints for houses always had different sections for each floor, sometimes on their own page. Not very wieldy, even in gimp/photoshop. Neutral
Blizgerg

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking through the topics in this forum and the thought came to me that after a few version some of the topics will get pretty cluttered with stuff that has nothing to do with the current version of that adventure. So, an idea of having something like a new thread start for each version and having the old thread give a redirect link at the top or having old posts go to an archive thread for that adventure or or something came to mind. What do you think of that idea?
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, we could re-order topics to newest first in that forum?
Another problem, is that if there's an update, it doesn't show up unless someone posts.
Blizgerg

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Or, we could re-order topics to newest first in that forum?

I think that it might work well as a quick fix to make newest first default and the user can use the option at the bottom of the forum that lets the user reorder the posts or view only posts for the last certain time period if they wish to change it.
Quote:

Another problem, is that if there's an update, it doesn't show up unless someone posts.

Yea, I noticed that a while back. I dealt with it by posting a comment that went in more depth than the change summary the last time I submitted an adventure change.
Zharmad

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having trouble with LUA_closeDoor and LUA_openDoor when the door numbers are high like 4, 5. It's in the room Ring and I'm trying to tidy up the door mechanism.

It's not a big issue but I don't know whether it's my code or a bug.
---
Also, I suggest that the Helper arrows and X's be made editable in the editor - with the name attribute. I'm scripting to show and hide these doobies, and succeeding. <- Just have to edit the files by hand at the moment to add the name to its parameters.
---
Are the "multiple keys morphing into blue keys" issues fixable? Just asking.
punman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still unable to download dr. brain redux after installing the update Crying or Very sad . Is there anything I can do on my end to get things working?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

punman wrote:
I am still unable to download dr. brain redux after installing the update Crying or Very sad . Is there anything I can do on my end to get things working?

Sorry, can you download any at all or is it just that on that's missing? It isn't a very sophisticated download system.

Assuming you can't download anything ->

Are you on a business/school network? If so then there probably isn't much you can do as they could have a variety of firewalls, routers and other security features in place.

If you're just plugged into an adsl modem then it should work. Just as a test, disable any firewalls or anti-virus programs (they sometimes perform firewall functions too). Turn off any programs in windows i.e. instant messagers, email, music players, etc. It's also possible for routers and modems to have firewall type functions too so you made need to check into that.

The idea is to setup windows/router/modem in the simplest most basic way possible - as a test! Once you've confirmed it works then start turning firewalls and virus programs back on one at a time. When it stops working then you know what the culprit is and can investigate further i.e. opening ports, setting rules, etc.

Some isp's can also disable file downloads on the more basic internet accounts, quite rare though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> User Adventures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: