FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
New indie game channel for the Wii!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: New indie game channel for the Wii! Reply with quote

Quote:
After a recent interview in Game Informer with Hudson, in which they hinted at a new original games channel on the Wii, CVG went to track down the truth of the matter. Here's what Nintendo had to say: "Nintendo has developed a programming system that will allow small independent developers to make games for Wii download service. We cannot confirm at this time in what format the new content will be delivered, but in the future there will be original games available for download through the Wii Shop." The channel would be very similar to Xbox Live's arcade where indy developers can make their own games available for users to purchase.

Source:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=156286

Sounds great, starscape on wii some time soon?
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall seeing the word "indie" anywhere in the reports I've read of it. I can't see why there wouldn't be, though.

If we do see Starscape on the Wii, no motion controls, ok? It's not that I'm against them in general, it's just that I can't see them working in a game like Starscape.
Agrajag

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konedima wrote:
I don't recall seeing the word "indie" anywhere in the reports I've read of it. I can't see why there wouldn't be, though.

If we do see Starscape on the Wii, no motion controls, ok? It's not that I'm against them in general, it's just that I can't see them working in a game like Starscape.

Small independent developers = indie (thats what indie stands for, independent).

I can't wait for this. And I agree, people try to put motion controllers in where they're not needed. If more games just used the classic controller (or better yet, the Gamecube controller) it would be a lot better.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Independent developer' often means independent from publisher in the mainstream. i.e -still a studio, but not funded by a publisher.
Ripdog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is you guys, right?

And that quote came from a different site to the linked one, but it's source was the linked one. Confused?
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are 'indie', and technically an independent developer, but when most people say 'independent developer' or 'independent studio' they mean a large building full of staff, not two blokes working out of a bedroom Smile

iD for instance (Quake and Doom)

or

Valve (Half Life)

or

3DRealms (Duke Nukem and Prey)

All three companies created their own IP (intellectual property) and developed the game off their own dime without publisher intereference or backing. All of them did use publishers to actually sell the game in the end, but they still fit the criteria for what people normally think of as independant.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is true it's very exciting.
XNA for the Wii. PS3 will be playing catch up again.

It makes sense I suppose, "proper" games are few and far between, plus they cost $60. Most people are only buying 2 a year. If they can get a Myspace style community thing going where people are sharing simple games for free then that is going to let people play almost constantly. If people are using the console week in week out AND you are drip feeding in free demos of major releases every now and again then you are guarenteed to raise that average annual games spend upwards.

Wii is a little limited by lack of storage I suppose, but SD cards are getting cheaper all the time.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen 2GB SD cards for less than 10. That seems shockingly cheap to me. Of course, those might not be the most reliable or fastest ones, but still.
Agrajag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some talk a while ago about being able to plug in any external harddrive to the Wii's USB ports for use as storage. Hopefully they'll actually implement that if they start releasing a lot more downloadable content.

Although I really don't like how Wii download's are tied to your specific console instead of your MyNintendo account. Especially since if your Wii breaks you lose everything since it's non-transferable.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I saw an interview somewhere where they said that if your Wii broke you could call customer support and get your games transferred to your new Wii. I don't know how easy that is, and I don't think you can use it to transfer stuff between working Wiis, but at least it's something.
Agrajag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
I'm sure I saw an interview somewhere where they said that if your Wii broke you could call customer support and get your games transferred to your new Wii. I don't know how easy that is, and I don't think you can use it to transfer stuff between working Wiis, but at least it's something.

Hmm... that would be good. The Wii disclaimer however explicitly states that Wii purchases are completely non-transferable, but it's good if customer support will do it for broken ones (they'd just be assholes otherwise).

I wish there was a "Transfer Wii" option like there is for DS. On the DS you can transfer your DS's "identity" to a new machine, copying over all your online settings, high scores, and friend codes (and then it erases them from the old DS unit). This would be a great Wii feature for people who buy a new Wii or have multiple units, although tying Wii purchases to your user account instead of actual machine would be best (like iTunes or Steam).

Actually I was thinking, tying downloaded Wii games to an SD card instead of a Wii console would work pretty well. That way you could move the card over to a different console and still play the games, but it would stop people from stealing the game by copying it to several different machines. It's probably not possible to do though.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD cards do have some sort of DRM scheme, actually. I've got no idea how it works, though. So that might be possible.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wii games put on SD cards won't play on other consoles. I believe I read that once you put them on an SD card they won't play on your own console, you have to put them back into the internal storage.

Tying games to accounts might be a good idea, but at least in Australia, Nintendo doesn't have accounts. You can register on the website to enter competitions, but that's it.
Agrajag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konedima wrote:
Wii games put on SD cards won't play on other consoles. I believe I read that once you put them on an SD card they won't play on your own console, you have to put them back into the internal storage.

Tying games to accounts might be a good idea, but at least in Australia, Nintendo doesn't have accounts. You can register on the website to enter competitions, but that's it.

I believe Wii games on an SD card will play on any console that has already bought the same game (so they'll play on your Wii, or if your friend has bought the same game they'll play on his too). I was saying it would be nice if they changed it so that instead of linking the game to a Wii (this game will only play on this Wii) they linked it to a card (this game will only play on this SD card). It would stop piracy, and still let you play the game on multiple Wii consoles (just not more than one at a time).
01d55

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD cards aren't given the same serial numbers as Wii consoles are, and Nintendo can't control them since the format doesn't belong to them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: