FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Project status
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr.Robot View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Project status Reply with quote

Everything is subject to change, but this is what we have in mind.

Version1 - released
After 6 weeks of beta testing with 30 testers the game is finally out in the wild Smile

Version 1.01 - released (hit your in game update buttons)
No matter how much testing you do a few things always slip through. A mini-update is required to sort these out. It's always a mistake to put a date on these things, but I'm hoping for mid-january. We'll probably do more mini-updates, if people get stuck and waiting for something specific to be fixed then it warrants an early release.

Version 1.02 - released (hit your game update buttons)
More bug fixes. Full editor documentation (maybe). Probably a micro-adventure download focusing on nanomek puzzles.

Versions 1.03, 1.04, 1.05 - released. Forcing their way in, curses!
Bug fixes.

Versions 1.06 - 1.16 - done. Kicked their way in, sorry.
Bug fixes, polishing up a few poorly implemented bits.

Fost points at the clock looking worried - What time is it? Eek! Quick, get on with the next game! We'll have to do future updates a bit more slowly sadly.

<Starscape update 1.6 sneaks in - oops>
Minor bugs, streamlined installer, loading speed increased.

<Starscape update 1.7 sneaks in - oops>
The Starscape update shouldn't take too long as it's mainly technical tweaks to bring the unlock system up to date and fix some minor bugs that have been lurking for too long.

Version 1.2 - not started yet
Fix any remaining bugs, anything that has cropped up after 1.01. Add some more rooms to a couple of areas that are a bit thin, hopefully using some new game features. More secret rooms. More achievement badges. Add a couple of new enemy types to ghost hack mode, plus some more upgrades and programs.

Last edited by Poo Bear on Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:11 pm; edited 5 times in total
Inane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Project status Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
More secret rooms. More achievement badges. Add a couple of new enemy types to ghost hack mode, plus some more upgrades and programs.

I am giddy!
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just promise me you'll let us skip ghost hack animations!
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on the list of things to look at, couldn't be done in beta as I didn't have the time, the update has more time but lots of different things vying for attention and as usual they won't all fit.

A snapshot of how these decisions get made ->

Intimidation
Something that is easier to implement and is related to the problem of frustration in ghost hacks is "intimidation". An option added to the ghost battle orders list. If you feel the enemy is sufficiently weaker than yourself then at any point you can just select intimidation. If it works the enemy flee and the battle is over immediately - you don't get xp for the fleeing enemies and they don't drop anything, but if they are weak then that's probably not a big deal. If intimidation fails then the enemy are enraged into an immediate attack (i.e. your turn immediately ends and you won't block them on their next round).

Advantages:
1. it makes sense in game terms and gives the player another meaningful choice to make.
2. if an encounter triggers that is obviously going to be a push over then it is likely to increase frustration and is an ideal time to use intimidation.
3. if a tough battle is almost over but a few weak opponents remain then once again this can cause frustration and intimidation can come to the rescue.
4. it requires skill and judgement, there is a risk that the enemy won't be intimidated and then you'll be punished. Limited risk is good.

Disadvantages:
1. doesn't guarentee to eliminate possible frustration with long ghost hacks.
2. if people keep making mistakes they'll get punished too much and it could make things worse.
3. needs a new animation for all 5 ghosts.

Other ideas are:
1. tweak the size of ghost hacks. They start small and get longer which makes sense, but this could be changed i.e. don't grow in size quite so quickly. Smaller maps mean faster hacks.
2. make it more obvious where the target node is. If you know where you are going then teh hacks will be faster.

Of these 4 ideas I currently favour intimidation, but time will tell, nothing is decided yet. The real time sink is testing. Whatever we decide on needs lots and lots of testing. It definitely takes longer to actually test and play ballance a change than it does to make it.
Agrajag

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Intimidation would be a good addition. They have a similar thing in Dragon Quest 8 (and several other of the DQ games IIRC) and it works pretty well.
Deraldin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most annoying thing about ghost hacks to me were getting caught by the smaller nodes. The first two types of node that have very basic enemies. By the time you reach level two, they are hardly worth hacking as you rarely got more than 100XP if you were lucky and the enemies in them were too weak to do much if any harm to your ghosts.

I'd love something that would allow me to pass through those nodes without being attacked, but I'm not sure just what that would do to the game balance. Confused
Nexis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well intimidation sounds somewhat useful as long as only the first robot has to select it and then it skips the prompt for the rest. That doesn't really address the issue as those battles are already pretty quick unless you're talking about using that on battles with 4+ enemies. Even then a few party cracks (should really change that party word) make short work of them. The hacking really isn't all that tedious unless you go around hacking the robots. Shortening those parts significantly and speeding up the combat animations would be my preferred first step.
xadrian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would almost agree with the bit about finding the nodes easier. I mean, you'd still have to fight your way TO them, but if you knew which way to go, especially on the big hacks, you wouldn't have to spend timing bumbling around, you could plot it out.

There's always those that would want to farm it, and that's fine.

Unless I missed a way to move the map around without my glyph moving.
Nemesis_Prime

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps like a system map, you could know that one certain component would have the map in it and a fairly tough battle to get the map. The map would give a little run down of the security levels of the nodes (how many defending program, average level, highest levels and lowest level kinda thing) in the ghost hack. This gives you the option to take a route of least resistance. The intimidation idea would certainly work, from a realism perspective can you intimidate a non thinking program? But what ever works, works. And completely out there....and off topic there might be special leader bots that are really mean in the real world and a tough battle in ghost hack but ghost hacking them and defeating there Master Control Program IE unique ghost hack mob gets you special items or the like..
Agrajag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After thinking about it, I think a better solution is to just decrease the chance of a random encounter with enemies that are far weaker than you. For instance if you're level 1 and you pass through a node where level 1 enemies appear, there's maybe a 75% chance of a battle happening. But if you're level five and you pass through a level 1 node, theres maybe a 10% chance of a battle happening.

Basically rather than make an intimidate option, just lower the encounter rate for pointless battles against weak enemies.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with that is you might want the battle to happen because you need the items that might drop or you need the experience. I suppose an alternative that still gives you the choice would be some kind of item that makes battles far less likely (I think some already mentioned that somewhere) that you can turn on and off.
Agrajag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
Problem with that is you might want the battle to happen because you need the items that might drop or you need the experience. I suppose an alternative that still gives you the choice would be some kind of item that makes battles far less likely (I think some already mentioned that somewhere) that you can turn on and off.

The amount of experience you'd get from those kind of enemies would be minimal anyway. The encounter rate should drop off gradually, the higher your level is compared to their's, the less likely it is that they'll attack you. Instead of making an item that lowers the encounter rate, just make an item that auto-triggers a battle when used. That way if you want to fight battles, you can.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump - mini-release 1.01 is available, just some bug fixes.
Inane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So uh... When is the new version coming out?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on it now. It will be a couple of weeks to get to v1.1 I suspect. If anybody is in desperate need of something fixing (i.e. they cannot carry on) I could do another mini update to v1.02 ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr.Robot All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: