FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Played the whole game in one sitting?!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Played the whole game in one sitting?! Reply with quote

Player Name.....Score.....Saves.....Ships.....Finished.....Hard
John Cataldo...288659........0.............3............True..........True

Shocked Now that's what I call dedication! Congratulations, John!

Incidentally, is the game actually harder on hard or is it just that the game autosaves if you lose a ship?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, finishing without saving, wow!

The game difficulty is not changed in hard mode, losing ships permanently on death is punishment enough I think.
Zotmeister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet I know who this guy is - I have an... um... acquaintance named John Cataldo, and he's a hardcore gamer alright. My CD arrived this weekend; I see I already have a target to shoot for. If you're reading this, John, know two things: Zotanna Terran is making a comeback, and your Starscape hardcore score is GOING DOWN! - ZM
Mr Vulcan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be possible to just leave your computer on for a few days and beat the game in a few sittings?
Rup

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yeah, but when you've got hard-mode saved games you can

1) abort and reload if you take a beating but don't die
2) (more importantly for me) pick up where you left off when the Aegis gets itself killed

I'm the one above him - I've got a lousy score 'cos I could have sworn I read that completion time was a factor (grr) so I finised the game as quickly as I could. I made an all-out-assault on the zone 5 mining ships before I'd finished researching beam 4 which meant I didn't have much to repair with and all the zones were packed with enemies. Sometimes the Aegis practically warped into a gunbattle with two enemy motherships and there's nothing you can do about that - it doesn't stand a chance.

It did feel as if the enemy motherships were tougher on hard more, or dealt more damage or somehting. Or maybe I was just more paranoid about losing a ship.
Zotmeister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the game count the auto-saves upon ship death in the saves count when playing on Hard? I'm wondering if John finished the game in a single LIFE. - ZM
Rup

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it doesn't. It doesn't make a new save - it just edits the old one.

I only lost one ship - to boss 3 or 4 (the one you have to fly inside with the lightning gun) I think.
Zotmeister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No, it doesn't. It doesn't make a new save - it just edits the old one."

Um - John didn't have an old save to edit... not that I'm disagreeing with you; I'm just trying to understand how Saves and Ships are counted, and your response didn't make sense to me. - ZM
Rup

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Oh, OK.

I meant that the game doesn't increases your save count when you die. And it shouldn't really - it's not making a new save game for you. Dying isn't an auto-save (like you'd get in half-life, etc.) as such.

Best guess - when you start a new game, it generates a random unique ID for that game (and perhaps a unique ID for each ship too). When you get killed in hard mode, it scans through all saved games on disk for the same game's unique ID and, if it find it, looks inside that saved game for the ship that you just got killed. If it finds it, it deletes the ship from that saved game. It doesn't increase the saved-game count for this edit.

If John got killed, it'd loop though his saved games and found none that matched. So it wouldn't do anything. Even if the dying-edit of a saved game did increase your saved game count, he wouldn't have any to edit. The game wouldn't create a new saved game just because he died and so it wouldn't 'charge' him for it.

No disrespect to John intended - getting through the game in one sitting is quite a feat - but I don't think we can assume he didn't get killed too.
Zotmeister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - that makes more sense. Thank you. Now for that Ships count - does that count ships constructed, ships destroyed, or something else? I noticed that the lowest anyone had that on the highscore table was two, and it seems like lower is better. Is it possible to get that to read one or zero if the game is finished without losing a ship? - ZM
JoDiamonds

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

My computer died shortly after my one-sitting feat of Starscape, hence my long silence.

I'll admit that I did die during the game ... the first time I tried to do it in one sitting. I fell so far behind that I just couldn't finish the game.

So the SECOND time I tried, I was extra super careful, and managed to do it -without dying-. It turns out that dying when you are playing all at once is an incredible exercise in gathering more resources, and unless you are extremely careful will result in making the game extremely hard to complete regardless.

I built only three ships, one of each size.

And hi, Zot. =)

JoDiamonds, aka John Cataldo
JoDiamonds

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and the whole game only takes me about eight hours, after the first game. Thank you, Moonpod, for making such an incredible and addicting game (cheap!)
hair65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: nike shoes and wigs Reply with quote

www.google.com online shopping human hair wigs and nike shoes for discount.wholesale lace front wigs and cheap nike air max shos online.where to buy high quality synthetic wigs and roshe run shoes is a best choice.
human hair wigs
cheap lace front wigs
full lace wigs
lace front wigs
cheap human hair wigs
cheap synthetic wigs
cheap wigs for women
cheap bob wigs
african american wigs cheap
afro wigs cheap
cheap full lace wigs
cheap curly wigs
cheap cosplay wigs
cheap wigs for men
cheap costume wigs
cheap hair extensions

cheap nike shoes
nike air max
nike air max 90
nike air max 90 womens white
white roshes mens
roshes women
cheap air max 90
air max 270 mens
nike air max 1 mens
cheap nikes online
nike sb janoski
nike skateboarding shoes
nike air force one men
nike air force 1 low
black huaraches
nike huarache women
air max 270
air max sale
nike air max sale
air jordan 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: