FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
MrRobot and gamepads
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr. Robot Support View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: MrRobot and gamepads Reply with quote

It works with Xbox360 pads - woo! These pads are fantastic, I have tons and tons of pads for testing purposes and these are easily the best.

If you're trying to get your pad working then here's a quick guide.

1. run the windows settings -> control panel -> game controllers application to check its working ok. Click properties and everything should look calm and still, if any of the bars are freaking out then something is wrong with the pad.

2. if you have trouble remapping the game controls try fiddling with the thing called "dead zone" on the game's controls menu. Some like it really high, some like it really low. Yeh, I wish they'd make up their minds too Smile

It's been tested with about 20 different game pads so it should work ok. I prefer the keys myself, but different stroke right?
Inzoum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I find Mr. Robot to be most enjoyable using a gamepad, but not with an analogue stick, with the D-Pad. I'm using a Logitech Dual Action (Playstation DualShock imitation), and diagonal movement seems a bit funky with the analogue (especially during jumps)... using the D-pad instead makes it a lot simpler to precisely control movement in all 8 directions.

Navigating through menus with the gamepad is still very tedious though, especially with screen involving multiple boxes or lists (ughhhh)... I'll keep you informed on that, maybe others can give their opinion too...
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I love playing with an X360 pad with directional control on the DPad. I know the front end is easier to navigate with a mouse, but I'm kind of used to using the gamepad too.
asuffield

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inexplicably, my gamepad only works when the game is run as administrator, not as a normal user. Other games work fine, so I can only presume this is a bug.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very weird.

Does the game run ok otherwise (when logged in as a normal user)? The controller mapping is stored with your profile which includes the actual game save data so if the game wasn't remembering your controller mapping then I'd assume it wouldn't be able to save either and nothing would work.

What exactly happens as an admin user?
Can you see your pad in the controller list?
Does it let you set up input functions but then forget them in the game?

What pad is this and what OS are you running?
asuffield

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
The controller mapping is stored with your profile which includes the actual game save data so if the game wasn't remembering your controller mapping then I'd assume it wouldn't be able to save either and nothing would work.

Ah, that gave me the hint I needed to understand what was going on - the game is merely very confusing, not actually broken. When you get to the main menu, it loads the setting for whether to use the gamepad or not from the last profile you used - even though you haven't loaded the save game at that point. The two users happened to have different settings in their most-recently-used profiles. I didn't notice this because I never actually changed the settings - it appears that the game enables or disables gamepad support based on whether one was plugged in at the time when the profile was created. That's probably trying to be too clever.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I get what you mean.

1. first person makes a profile and sets up a gamepad

2. second person makes a profile and turns the gamepad off

3. the first person comes back, starts up the game and hits continue and wonders why the gamepad doesn't work. The game has actually loaded the last profile played which belonged to player2 and therefore it is working correctly but it didn't make it clear to player1 what was happening.

Is that it? If so it sounds like some kind of message near/on the continue button with the players name would help.
asuffield

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
Ok, I think I get what you mean.

1. first person makes a profile and sets up a gamepad

2. second person makes a profile and turns the gamepad off

3. the first person comes back, starts up the game and hits continue and wonders why the gamepad doesn't work. The game has actually loaded the last profile played which belonged to player2 and therefore it is working correctly but it didn't make it clear to player1 what was happening.

Is that it? If so it sounds like some kind of message near/on the continue button with the players name would help.

Basically, yes - except that neither player touched the gamepad settings. The game did that bit on its own, apparently based on whether the gamepad was plugged in at the time the profiles were created. Confusion ensued.

It might be a better idea to not load that setting at all when the game first starts up, so it's always enabled when you first reach the main menu. The automatic configuration part could probably also use a rethink - I would expect "create a profile, then plug in a gamepad" to give the same results as "plug in a gamepad then create a profile" (it's not so important whether the thing is enabled at that point, just that the behaviour is consistent).
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to grill you over this, but is this what you mean:

1. You created a new game on a PC with NO gamepad, everything was fine, you turned the game off.

2. Later, you plugged in a gamepad and ran the game.

3. You expected the gamepad to just work, but it didn't because your profile was configured for keys+mouse.

4. You went into your profile and turned on the gamepad, then everything was fine.

What you would like is for the game to recognise a gamepad has appeared and set it up in default settings.

I keep thinking I'm missing something because surely no PC game does that? Or maybe they do, do you know of one? I could have a look at it.

We have to be very careful doing anything automaticly with a gamepad as most PC gamepads (cheap ones) are terrible and often constantly generate confusing output data that would start pressing buttons and moving Asimov around in whacky ways.
asuffield

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other way around, which is how the confusion arose:

Start the game for the first time with the gamepad plugged in, it works okay.

Later create a second profile - and the gamepad isn't plugged in at that time, because it was a different user and they prefer using the keyboard. The game creates the profile and automatically configures it to never use a gamepad.

Come back later, plug the gamepad in... and when the game starts up, it is strangely no longer accepting input (because it's picked up the other profile). Nobody admits to having changed anything relevant (after all, nobody has touched the gamepad settings). Confusion.

I acknowledge the issues with autodetecting these things - but then, if I just have the thing plugged in when I first run the game, it does that anyway.

I think the simplest solution would be to make it entirely manual - the game defaults to either having the thing turned on or off for every new profile (not all that important which - judgement call as to which is better), and if you want the other behaviour, you have to change it explicitly. That way nothing surprising should happen (aside from the point that it's not obvious from the main menu which profile is currently selected - yes, something more like popcap's "Hi $name. If this isn't you, click here" would be nice)
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I see, thanks for the info.
optrirominiluikus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Dualshock 2 (Playstation 2) controller connected via a USB converter thingy, and I have had similar problems to this in other games and emulators, etc.

I can't re-configure the controls. The thing is that the triangle button is recognized as Button 1 in Windows. The circle is Button 2, the X is Button 3, and so on. Now, jumping with the triangle button is not what I want to do, nor do I want to use the circle as the "secondary" button, I want to use X for jumping and square (joy button 4) for shooting/activating, etc.
When I try to re-map the controls in-game, I select the function I want to change (in this case the main button, button 1, jump) and press Enter. The "press button to change" dialog comes up for a split second, and disappears, leaving me no time to change it from Button 1 to Button 3. Nor can I re-map the PDA function to the Dualshock Select button.

Normally (in other games, that is) I am able to cirumvent this problem by changing the controls in an ini file or similar, but I can't find one for Mr. Robot. Mildly annoying.

Also, is it really necessary to force me to have the cd in the player every time I want to play the game? Sure, I could install the download version, but that has lower quality sound, right? So basically it's choose between the pain-in-the-arse cd check (which btw is the first thing pirates remove so it's not like it's preventing piracy anyway) or play the game with lower quality sound and music. Logic?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the dual shock, they are pretty notorious for this kind of problem. Increasing the dead zone might help. I'd recommend putting an X360 pad on your xmas list, I've got one and I think it's the best pad I've ever had (and I've had them all).

Sorry you don't like putting the CD in. It discourages casual copying, it's nothing to do with hard core piracy.

Sorry you don't like the download version's minor reduction in music quality.

We seem to have failed you in every department. If you like, you could mail in to supportATmoonpod.com with the name and the email used to buy MrRobot and then I'll add a free copy of Starscape to your account.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never tried the game with a gamepad, so I decided to pop one of mine in and see if it worked. I have a PS1 dual shock and a Rockfire PSX->USB converter. It works, although it took me a while to figure out where to configure the controls. I would note that the control selection interface is not great to use with the gamepad itself. Although double-clicking on entries with the mouse and then pressing a button works fine, selecting an entry with the gamepad and then pressing "use" seems to pop up and cancel the the dialog instantly, unless you tap the button really quickly. I'd guess that it isn't waiting for you to release the button you're holding before looking to see which button you press.

I expect you've already tried this, optrirominiluikus, but just in case you've not, you might try recalibrating the gamepad in the "game controllers" section of the control panel. Also, does it make any difference whether the pad is in "analog" mode or not? (Do PS2 controllers still have that switch?)
optrirominiluikus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
Sorry about the dual shock, they are pretty notorious for this kind of problem. Increasing the dead zone might help. I'd recommend putting an X360 pad on your xmas list, I've got one and I think it's the best pad I've ever had (and I've had them all).

Sorry you don't like putting the CD in. It discourages casual copying, it's nothing to do with hard core piracy.

Sorry you don't like the download version's minor reduction in music quality.

We seem to have failed you in every department. If you like, you could mail in to supportATmoonpod.com with the name and the email used to buy MrRobot and then I'll add a free copy of Starscape to your account.

Hell, I do come off as a whiny *******, don't I?

The Dualshock IS notorious when it comes to this, yes. I already have a [wireless] 360 controller, but I don't like to use analog sticks for these types of games, the 360 d-pad sucks pretty bad. And the CD thing is something I can live with, I just think it's dumb (and that goes for all game developers) and I like to have my game cases sitting in my shelf, not piling up next to my computer.

As for the music quality thing, I wouldn't have noticed unless someone on the forum pointed it out, since I just assumed that the game I got in the mail (nice box btw) contained the same data as the game I downloaded. I'm just that type of anal person that wants the best, if I can have it.

Hell, that's why I'm playing Mr. Robot right now. Only took a break from playing to check on the forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr. Robot Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: