FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
The EDITOR thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> User Adventures View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agrajag wrote:
I'm most interested in how you define a "win" point for your adventure, and how you get doors to link multiple rooms together. Also, how do you get water to look correct? Mine is all separated. And how do you rotate objects? (to make walls on the side of the room).

Rotate objects with home/end

Water is not placed like normal objects, it is one object that is sized:

Go into 'create water' mode, move the water block with cursor keys and page up/dn. Size the water block with shift+ cursors/pageup-dn.

Win situation is currently complicated (i.e. lua scripted) but we'll eventually provide a good example, or a default easy editor object.

I'll put a post up about doors later...
Agrajag

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Agrajag wrote:
So I can't go in and continue the regular game (I'm sure if I started a new game, then quit and chose my original one it would be fine though).

You should be able to - continue is active for the last thing you played, which you've now deleted. You should be able to find your other adventure via the start menu.

Ah, that confused me. When you first play the game, Start automatically makes a new game, but now Start just brings you to the Profiles screen. Nevermind then.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, doors:

Make two rooms with a door in each.

From the 'static' panel, click on the 'edit settings' button.
Move the yellow cursor over the door you want to link up and hit enter.
Should be pretty self explanatory - choose the target room, and door id from that room to link the two. You probably want the box ticked so the other door automatically links back too.

Press SHIFT+S to save the world.config and all rooms - this is important if you tick the box to make the other door link back to this one as you've effectively just changed two rooms (no point just saving the current one).
starscape junkie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to use the editor from fullscreen mode leads to crashing.
Inane

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Confirmed... (Damn and blast!)
Also, my cursor is invisible when hovering over the toolbox (And also for error report things), this manages to render editing stuff nigh-impossible Sad.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starscape junkie wrote:
Trying to use the editor from fullscreen mode leads to crashing.

It's supposed to drop out into windowed mode, and has been working in the past. I'll test that out.

Inane wrote:
my cursor is invisible when hovering over the toolbox (And also for error report things), this manages to render editing stuff nigh-impossible Sad.

I don't follow, could you post a screengrab or explain that a bit more?
Do you mean the mouse cursor or the 3D block positioning cursor?
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Cursor: Ahh, I see what you mean now. This also only happens when you drop out of full screen mode.
KOS-MOS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!!! I madea room. Crashed it 3 times but I think I missed a step. When you have the game set up though it becomes easy to play with.

WOW! The feeling when you make something, and then switch over to run about the game is AMAZING!

I will post a picture when I finish something that does not look so awful Very Happy

Can you tell me how lights work? I managed to put some in the room but they did nothing Sad
Slyh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm a little bit too curious... but how can I add conversation to my level? Smile
I managed to create a LUA script which made a robot to wander around. Now I wanted to add a conversation, but the LUA-script does not find the file.

I do this with LUA:
Code:
name = "T01_asimov_wakeup"
playConversation( name )

I put a file with the name "T01_asimov_wakeup.txt" into directory "ad001\chat\" but the game does not even seem to find it:
"Info: Couldn't find conversation T01_asimov_wakeup from a total of 0 converstaions"

OK, I do not even know in what format the conversation file needs to be. Smile

Would it be too nosy to ask how this can be done for custom levels? Rolling Eyes
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slyh wrote:
Would it be too nosy to ask how this can be done for custom levels? Rolling Eyes

No, it's not nosy at all - it's something we want people to do! We always knew that one of the things people would want to do would be to add conversation and write their own stories. However, you can't right now Sad. The conversation stuff gets pulled out of ids in a table that you can't add to.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KOS-MOS wrote:
Can you tell me how lights work? I managed to put some in the room but they did nothing Sad

Yes, lights are a little funny to use, but ok when you get the hand of them:

Each room can have:
  • An ambient light level
  • A directional light (think 'sunlight'). You can just set this to black if you like.
  • Up to 5 point lights, which have a falloff. These are the most useful. Be careful not to use more than 5, *** bad thing may happen Smile At some point, we'll put a limiter in the editor.

Note: in the options panel, you can set lights to be displayed (or not) all the time if you wish.

Lighting is done in a *2 mode - what that basically means, is that if you want to set a light level where the room's textures are lit at their base level, you should set the light colours to 50% grey. Higher than that allows you to 'overbrighten' the textures.

So. Here's how to edit/create all the light types:

First go to the 'lights' panel.
Set Ambient: This is the easiest to use. Just pick a colour, and then click 'ok'. Ambient light is applied evenly across all surfaces of the model, so if you overuse it the room can look very washed out.
Set Main Directional Direction: Click this button, then left click and drag in the main window to spin the light around then hit enter when you are done. If I'm not using the directional light in a room, I point this almost vertical and use it as ambient light - since it is directional, it works a bit better than ambient because it only lights from one side.
Set Main Directional Colour: Just like the ambient light, pick a colour and hit 'ok'. I like to inject a bit of base colour in using the ambient and directional lights- a very subtle blue ambient, with complimentary yellowish directional can look nice if you turn the directional light a bit so it isn't just pointing straight down.
Create Light: This is how you add point lights. Clicking it once will show a light in the main window at 0,0,0. Use the cursor keys and pageup/pagedn to move it around. You can also use Home/End to set the falloff range - the default is VERY small, so you'll probably need to scale up the range a bit to see any effect. Press enter when you are ready to 'drop' the light into the scene. You will be asked to set a color, and then the light will be placed and you cans see its effect. Continue placing lights, or press Escape to leave light creation mode.
Edit Light: this mode allows you to click on lights and change their colour.

Remember - hardly any light in the real world is grey, so don't be scared to add colour!
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to get conversations working:

Assunimg you have a working game with one room called "room1".

Create an ascii text file (don't let your editor save out unicode or anything else wierd) called room1.lua in *mydocument\mrrobot\user\ad000\rooms with this is in it:

Code:

START = 0
WAIT = 1

g_state = START

function sequence()

if( g_state == START ) then
      playConversation( "Talk1" )
      g_state = WAIT
   end

return false

end

Then create another text file called mydocuments\mrrobot\user\ad000\chat\Talk1.txt with this in it:

Code:

{

PrecacheImages
   {
      0   data\chat\zelda\neutral1.tga
   }

text
   {
      page0
      {
         textidstring   "[0]Hello I am a conversation"
      }
   }

x            45
   y          453
   width      350
   imageheight 128
   textheight    160

}

Now when you run your game you should get the conversation pop up once straight away.

*every time you make a user adventure it creates a new folder in mydocuments\mrrobot\user starting with ad000 and incrementing ad001, ad002, etc. If you forget which one you were working on just go through them and open each ad000\games.config and at the top you should see "name bibblebobble" or whatever it is you actually called it. This idetifies the data you wont to mess with.
Slyh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmh, the conversation-thing does not work for me. Mr.Robot insists that it doesn't find Talk1:
"Info: Couldn't find conversation Talk1 from a total of 0 converstaions"

It's maybe of interest for you that, according to my file monitor, mrrobot.exe does never try to access mydocuments\mrrobot\user\ad000\chat\ or any of the files within. Maybe a bug?

I uploaded my current ad000-directory to http://slyh.little-isp.de/mrrobot/ad000.zip in case you wanted to have a look...
Slyh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmh, I'm wondering if opening the PDA will break some of the time-critical quests in Mr.Robot, like for example room 'z1r45'.

In my test-room whenever I open the PDA the timer (getTime()) will not be stopped. So with a script that uses this function to create some time-critical situation for the user, opening the PDA for some time will probably result in a situation that is even more time-critical. ;-)

Unfortunately I have no save-game that is anywhere near room z1r45 so I can not test this in a real-world example.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look into it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> User Adventures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: