FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
VB C++
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  what is better for making games VB or C++  

VB
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
C++
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]

Total Votes : 8  

Author

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: VB C++ Reply with quote

basicly refering to everyone on the form... what is the best system for making games...

also why did the programers of moon pod (goober and poo bear) desided to use visual C++ (ive been trying to understand it... Shocked WHO CAME UP WITH THIS THING ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET!)
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not keen on C++ at all. But I don't think I could bring myself to use VB either. I really think the only good thing about C++ is that everybody else is using it. If you're not writing anything too ambitious, I'd suggest Python. It's my favourite thing at the moment. It is interpreted, so there's some things you'll find go slowly, but if you write sensible code and don't try to crunch lots of numbers it's good for simple games and prototypes. There are a fair few nods in the direction of functional programming there - lambda functions, list comprehensions and stuff like that. Still, the lack of strict type-checking can be maddening at times.

I used to use Free Pascal quite a lot, but I never did any DirectX stuff with it. Ada's pretty good too, but I don't know what good game libraries are available. Ada has generics! That is, you can parameterise function definitions or whole packages with values, types and functions. Not quite as good as what you can get up to with a proper functional programming language, but fun nonetheless. I understand you can do similar stuff with macros and templates in C++, but it seems so... dirty.

I've done lots of Java. I like it, but along with Pascal and Ada it's horribly verbose. One day I hope to be writing mostly in purely functional languages. I quite like Haskell, but I've yet to try out any other functional languages.

Argh, why am I still up? I'm going to bed.

Weeble.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use VisualC++ because it is the industry standard development language, it has wide support, it makes fast code and if you get good at it you can get a game programming job Smile

However, if you just want to experiment with some simple games and not spend 2 years scratching your head you could try DarkBasic (or any of the other games specific language that are floating around). If you want to do simple games but would still like the option of a job/money at the end of it you could go for Java. Popcap have proved there is money to be made in Java games (they claimed in an interview Bejeweled had made $6million - nice).
callmeminyme

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive already played around with internet games... i found that flash was quiet fun to use if you were to make one... however i dont have much art tallent so i never got into it

i guess ill just work on C++ till i get it then.... its jus every SINGLE tutorial book out there gives me this massive discription of one simple command (lets saywe want to compile... it almost tells me how it does it... honistly i dont care)

so far all the lessons ive played with show me 1 thing.... im an idiot Confused or at least thats the books general thises (its called teach yourself C++ in 24 hours... but it took me 2 to comprehend the first one hour... and i still dont get it)

you guys know any good visual C++

and BTW i was actuly refering to visual C++ sry bout that
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd: I really like Sam's teach yourself C++ in 24 hours. I've been working through it on and off for a while. I also have the Sam's PHP book which is pretty good.

Maybe it would help to get used to a simpler language first? There's some basic things to do with programming that are good to have experience before getting into C++.

You should really consider your goal: is it to eventually land a programming job? In which case keep chipping away at C++. Otherwise I'd strongly recommend Dark Basic or Blitz Basic. Don't be put off by the mention of 'Basic'. These languages are very powerful. Just check out the Dark Basic showcase if you need any more proof.

Star Wraith is our favourite shareware space game, and this was written in Dark Basic.
coldsnickersbar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have 4 years to give, you could take the route I did and join the military. I joined the Marines as a programmer. Right after boot camp, they sent me to a school, where, for 2 months we did nothing but learn OOL programming in VC++ 8-10 hours a day, 7 days a week. Plus, the lab was open 24/7.

After that, once I got to my unit, I went to a yearly average of $10k-$20k worth of civilian programming education, such as certifications, seminars, programming 'boot camps' (like the MCAD 'boot camp'). Not to mention that whenever a senior Marine Corps programmer had a soap box to stand on, he would fly programmers from around the world into his classroom to hear what he had to teach.

Unfortunately, the Marine Corps disbanded its programmers, but I hear that the Air Force and Navy have much more advanced programming teams with even more education.

Plus you get to blow stuff up! Smile I'd develop applications for a few weeks, then run out to the feild for a week and shoot the MK-19. It's a fully automatic grenade launcher. Fires 40mm HEDP grenades at 900 rounds/minnute.

*sigh* those were the days. Automatic death Smile

Of course, it was the Marines. I don't know if they let you blow stuff up in the Air Force or Navy.

It's a good precursor to college anyway. By the time you get out, if you decide to leave like I did, you have the money to go to college and you're more prepared for college and you're older and less distracted.

Just an idea for you younger aspiring game developers! Very Happy
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a common theme to many of the emails we get and posts on the board: Usually one person is ready willing and able, but they need additional artists and programmers.
If you can't find someone near to where you live then maybe trying to organise a team over the internet is the thing to try?

Some things to try are:
set up a project on sourceforge and ask for contributors.
Ask around on the polycount (for artists) and flipcode (for programmers) forums.
coldsnickersbar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Fost.

I think if you were replying to me, you accidently replied to the wrong post. I did make an offhand comment about gathering a dev team on the 'writing' thread.

Thanks for the info anyway, though. Wink
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh yes I was, sorry! You'll have to excuse me, I'm up to my eyeballs in the PHP script that generates the website at the moment Cool (that's not a 'cool' smilie, in this case it means -pass me the shades I'm going blind...). I'm usually on better form when I've spent the day modelling tanks and spaceships Very Happy
callmeminyme

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not a military kind of guy =P

im alredy doing work with visual basic right now... (i can make a good pyrograph program hehehehe)

but i sapose my only goal is to become proficiant in C++
CidHighwindFF7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get a medal for winning Counter-Strike games?
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CidHighwindFF7 wrote:
Can you get a medal for winning Counter-Strike games?

I think anyone who can play it for more than 10 minutes without going mad deserves a medal. Poo Bear swears by it (and at it). I had another go the other day. After getting killed within 5 seconds every time, I switched to the other team and realised one of them could shoot though walls (All walls not just the soft ones), sigh....
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Counterstrike differentiates between wall materials. If a wall is very thick then it's likely to have internal divisions that make it like several wall surfaces in sequence. Most guns penetrate one surface, but the high powered guns penetrate a few. Of course, if this team-member could *see* through walls then it's a different matter.

I like a little Counterstrike (on a LAN, anyway) but unfortunately it's the only thing most of my friends will play. When we having a gaming weekend we'll maybe get one game of Starcraft, one game of Unreal Tournament, then play hours of Counterstrike. We try to play TFC and half of them won't play at all, then the others say it sucks (because with 2 men to a team the classes are over-specific). *sigh*

Weeble.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
Of course, if this team-member could *see* through walls then it's a different matter

Yes he was using a wall hack. He'd logged in on another machine too so his team could not vote him off, even though they tried their best. Sadly it took me too long to realise this else I would have changed servers.

This is the major problem with online games, there's an army of people trying to gain unfair advantage for whatever reason.
callmeminyme

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone cheats because 1 person cheats.. the whole world is A 3 year old fest...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: