FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
VGCORE Interview Part 1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Moonpod News View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: VGCORE Interview Part 1.

All encompassing gaming website, Vg Core has posted the first part of a recent interview with the Moonpod team.

Expect a break from the normal interview questions as VGCore's interviewer cuts straight to the issues at hand for Mr. Robot, Moonpod and indie game development in general.

Read the first part here

and look out for the second part coming soon, where we'll be discussing our experiences talking to Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony about their console download services.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you interviewed by a robot? The ideas in the questions are good, but they are written so badly!
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think during the process, somehting odd may have happened - when I got the questions, they were perfectly readable. The questions this time did stand out for me, because they were a bit more interesting (for a developer) than the kind of stuff we usually get asked.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
I also wonder if tablet PCs might become a bigger market. I really like the idea of having a tablet PC lying around the house that I can browse the internet on, but games that exploit it would need to work with a stylus.

The stylus is really interesting. You'd think it would be more like using a mouse than it is, but it's reall quite a different beast. The mouse is good at relative motion, clicking on precise locations, and clicking on things at the edges of the screen. It's bad at drawing shapes. The sylus, however, is good at absolute motion, drawing shapes and being precise at most things other than clicking. It's awful for interacting with things near the edge of the screen, and bad at being precise at the moment you're making or breaking contact with the tablet/screen.

What does this mean for games? I think for things like strategy games, both are good input devices, but need to be handled differently. Where dragging a selection box is good with the mouse, a lassoo selection is probably more suited to the stylus. Where you'd click on buttons with the mouse, I think with the stylus you're better with boxes you can tick, cross or swipe across. And where you'd click on a target for movement with the mouse, with a stylus drawing a cross or a V or some other simple symbol is probably more precise and reliable. For an FPS, though, I don't think a stylus can really compete with a mouse.
Magnulus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love an affordable, 12" touch-screen laptop that I could use to do simple sketches with in Photoshop. I'd totally bring that puppy with me everywhere.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with you Weeble - most games that use the mouse in the same way windows does (to move a pointer, rather than move your view) will work fine with a stylus (casual games, as ever, are golden). Some games need a little tweaking but nothing drastic.

There's a lot of cool ideas that might only work well with a stylus too, although it's a tiny market right now. Something that uses handwriting recongnition perhaps? or symbol recognition like Okami?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Moonpod News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: