FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Eternity Open Source Space Sim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Eternity Open Source Space Sim Reply with quote

Hi I'm Will and I've started up a futuristic open source space sim.
I am currently looking for anyone who is willing to help out, though c++ coders are most valuable.
This space sim is involving some revolutionary new features and is already planned/designed so work can begin immediately. It will be the first "galaxy sim" unlike any space sim before.

For more information visit http://eternity.sytes.net/will/joomla

Any amount of help, no matter how small is welcome. There is plenty of work which doesn't involve c++ coding.

06CassWP
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um. I don't mean to be rude, but are you sure this is the best way to go about this? What exactly do you have so far, other than a pretty web-site? Why should people want to work with you? Have you run a project like this before? Have you produced anything tangible? Do you have any other team members?

I would suggest that you really don't want to jump in at the deep end here, and you will probably have difficulty finding people to undertake a project of this scale with so little to go on. If I were you I'd find an existing open-source game project to contribute to, and spend some time getting experience and making friends and contacts. Then, maybe, somewhere down the line you might decide that you are really ready to start your own project. At this point, however, you will hopefully have made friends with programmers and artists that you trust on the other project, and you may be able to persuade them to found this project together with you.

As it is, I see a lot of ambition and no evidence of what you're actually good at.
06casswp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your feedback and it will help me further develop this project. The reason that it appears to be lacking as a project is that it's a few days old, I am just trying to raise some awareness so if there is anyone who wants to be apart of this then they can at least know about it.
Eternity is in fact a sister project to another open source space sim called Openlancer a sequel to freelancer. I have tried to start this project with different goals project and content wise. The success off the other project has lead me to believe that there are people who would like to help develop this type of game. But the problem with the other project is that they have spent 9 months planning ever aspect of Openlancer and set a release date in a few years. I believe using their design and planning work, Eternity could be released much sooner.
Openlancer as been around awhile but hasn't yet actually moved into the production phase meaning they havn't informed the space sim community. There is a limited amount of design material on the site, but the rest is complete and just needs typing up.

I'm really trying to just recruit as many developers as possible to give the project a kick start. I'm not aiming at getting everyone I need to develop this project. I just need interest at this point. Then there will be more credibility.

I'm really only good at coordinating and designing which will become evident later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: