FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Survival is just mean
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Survival is just mean Reply with quote

This is lame. I was trying to see if there was a end to survival, and it was great fun (very good stress relief!) with the arachnid. Then came the worms.

Thousands of arachnid and a few worms for variety if fun, but this is obscene.

OMG wormz (It gets worse then this, but if i took a screene then i would die Confused )

There should be some way to reduce the number of worms (and remove the highscore upload ability?) from survival, add infinite credits for some plain stress relief. You start on max upgrade level and zone 5 as well. No asteroids.

You can die if you neglect health, but it should be possible to play it forever, just for fun.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sad that there's not much more score to be eked out by this point, but it's good that it eventually gets hard enough that you're going to die. Otherwise you would never be able to stop playing! Or maybe that's just me. I can't just kill myself voluntarily to end the game.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Survival is just mean Reply with quote

Ripdog wrote:
I was trying to see if there was a end to survival

Survival modes inherently aren't supposed to end, but instead are supposed to get so unbelievably hard, that only true ninjas at the game will get anywhere and even they won't last long. It's pretty hard to get that smooth ramp up in difficulty - I think Alien Shooter is one that manages pretty well, but even can't always cope (I once got to the point where so much was on screen in AS that the game crashed Sad )

Worms do come in gradually, but then most people avoid them for a while until they build up, so you get this point where you become utterly trashed by them.

We have a couple of notes on Survival mode to improve it even more, and hopefully we'll get to work on them for 1.6, but I can't guarantee anything.
If you want more completable stuff, then we have also been thinking about more instant action missions being available/unlockable. Again though - unlikely we'll have the time, it's just 'on the list'.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with survival is there is a limit to what the game can throw at you

but someday when programs have evolutionary algorithms than the game can keep adding new enemies and you can play FOREVER
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
the problem with survival is there is a limit to what the game can throw at you

There is more the game can throw at you*, but invariably, it causes problems that take us ages to iron out.

*Throwing a boss or two into the mix for instance, no reason we couldn't do that, but it would inevitably break the game in a myriad of situations.

There's also this beast:

Currently languishing in my Starscape Beta folder.

Last edited by Fost on Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Magnulus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Warning Forever?
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=4688

EDIT: No worky linky, Fost.

EDIT again: NOW worky linky
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnulus wrote:
Like Warning Forever?

Ahh, now there, you have the ultimate example of a survival game with perfect balance. we could only aspire to be that great.

What's your top level? I think I got to level 13 once...
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, the game's homepage is here if you need it:

http://www18.big.or.jp/~hikoza/Prod/index_e.html
Ripdog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
It's sad that there's not much more score to be eked out by this point, but it's good that it eventually gets hard enough that you're going to die. Otherwise you would never be able to stop playing! Or maybe that's just me. I can't just kill myself voluntarily to end the game.

The idea is that you dont have to stop playing! Just kill hundreds of archnid and have fun! Currently, the only way to do that is to use a memory editor. With worms. Sad

Fost wrote:
We have a couple of notes on Survival mode to improve it even more, and hopefully we'll get to work on them for 1.6, but I can't guarantee anything.
If you want more completable stuff, then we have also been thinking about more instant action missions being available/unlockable. Again though - unlikely we'll have the time, it's just 'on the list'.

As i said, I DONT WANT completeable stuff! I jsut want a endless supply of archnid, few or no worms and infinite credits.

Sorry, i didnt mean to "yell" about it but no1 seems to have read my first post Crying or Very sad

and no chance of playing as archnid in 1.6 fost?
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ripdog wrote:
I jsut want a endless supply of archnid, few or no worms and infinite credits.

Ok, I get it now - but it sounds like you don't want a survival mode?

Something that never ends like:

Stamina (?) mode: it just doesn't end Smile and you keep getting points. Could get some crazy scores if someone was willing to stay up for a long time. Shocked

It's an interesting idea, a few people have mentioned they like using survival to blow off steam, and this was all part of the cheats discussion that went on a while back. Would be intrigued if you have ideas about such a mode.

Ripdog wrote:
and no chance of playing as archnid in 1.6 fost?

There's little chance of anything much interesting going in sadly, pretty much, it's just going to include a ton of stuff that makes it easier to support in the future. I really want to find something interesting that I can put in that is relatively trivial for Poo Bear to implement, as he's completely killed for time. That pretty much means means updating artwork and maybe some effects. We have a lot of stuff lying about waiting for someone to work on it, but much of it is unlikely to happen.

Interestingly, I have a Work In Progress Archnid survival mode, but I haven't done anything on it in over a year. Maybe That would be something to look at.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:

There's also this beast:

http://www.moonpod.com/board/images/misc/XenoHunterAlpha1.jpg[/img]
http://www.moonpod.com/board/images/misc/XenoHunterAlpha2.jpg[/img]

Currently languishing in my Starscape Beta folder.

Shocked

must be one of the Ddrive war machines you mentioned in the battlescape story
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
must be one of the Ddrive war machines you mentioned in the battlescape story

Its sole purpose was to destroy the Xenarch. Currently however, if I go near it, it focusses everything on me and instantly annihilates me Smile Took me 8 goes and some nifty manouevring just to take the screenshots. So, yeah, it's not short on a bit of work play balancing to get it in the game. Very Happy
Ripdog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Interestingly, I have a Work In Progress Archnid survival mode, but I haven't done anything on it in over a year. Maybe That would be something to look at.

Yea, thats where the idea came from, i saw in some ancient thread something about that.

This idea would

A) require a new scoreboard or

B) No score upload feature at all

Plus, having a few bosses would be fun, but bosses + friendly fire = Pwnage =) Everyone here has seen the way bosses fire indiscriminately, so if archnid got in the way...
Anticheese

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Magnulus wrote:
Like Warning Forever?

Ahh, now there, you have the ultimate example of a survival game with perfect balance. we could only aspire to be that great.

What's your top level? I think I got to level 13 once...

21 Twisted Evil

You have no idea how hard that was

---
Magnulus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 for me.
I know someone who got to 32 or something. The trick is just not to die. The enemy will be confused and just put guns on at random, and will focus on defense.

Of course, not dying is a tad harder than it sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: