FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Reply with quote

Seeing as it's out now, I'm wondering
a) if anybody on this board has it
b) if they have it, can they take time away from to post here
c) what do they think of it?
Its already out in Australia, but I don't have a copy yet (I insist on having the PC collectors edition - I don't have a 360 and the extra stuff in the collectors edition interests me) - but the local store only got 2 copies of the collectors edition, so even though I preordered it, I haven't actually got a copy. (Although it looks like they're getting one from another store on Monday just for me). So anyway I want to know if my anticipation is worth it. I'm a huge fan of Morrowind (although I never actually got anywhere near completing it)
In short: what does everyone think of elder scrolls oblivion?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight thread derailment-->

I've seen it said in reviews and had it confirmed from friends that the game is unplayable unless you have a very powerful PC. I recently made the rash decision to buy X3:beyond without checking with friends first and now I own an expensive coaster. It seems retail games have just hit the crest of a wave named pixel shader 3 and I need to upgrade again Sad

Intel have a new dual core P4 chip (P4D-805) out that is half the price of all the other dual core chips, suspicious but worth further research. I've always been a big nVidia fan but was disapointed to hear their cards cannot do HDR lighting and anti-aliasing at the same time. So I'm now thinking the ATI-X1600 would be a good choice. Sadly that all means ditching my motherboard and memory too. It's going to be an expensive upgrade I fear.

Anyway, i'm hoping everyone who has played it thinks it's terrible and that way I wont have to upgrade just yet Wink
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Oblivion supports HDR and antialiasing at the same time, even on ATI cards. And while my PC certainly isn't low-range, its even more certainly not high... Although I've asked around on the Elder Scrolls forums and they say my machine fits into the "mid-range" category, but hey, thats why they invented the option to turn graphics options down. Plus I don't need to run it at an insane resolution (1024x768, I'd even settle for 16 bit colour if it was available) as I only have a 17" CRT. And I can run fairly recent games well if I disable antialiasing (for games that don't have HDR, I'd like to have antialiasing enabled - but my card sucks at it). Maybe this thread should become "Complaining about Oblivion system requirements"
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad thing about this new wave of games is that supporting things like pixel shader 3 reduces your ability to step down well to less powerful hardware. I think it's possible, but the amount of work involved seems to put off mainstream developers, I guess they have tight schedules to hit.

For instance, X3 with everything set to absolute lowest quality is just totally unplayable on my XP2500/GFFX5500/1GB machine. The person I know who has oblivion said it was unplayable on his P42.7G/GFFX5700/1.5GB, but in that case he just used his brothers computer that had all the latest uber bells and whistles and then it was ok.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like pixel shader 3 and I think it produces good effects in games. And my computer is more powerful than those (except in the RAM department - 512mb, low quality... errr....) cause I've got an Athlon 64 3000+/gf6600gt/512mb. Ah, if only I had like $4500.... dual 7800GTXs, FX-60 processor, loads of ram... that would be schweet
Hamish
Pod Developer
Pod Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got this today and played it all day. Similar to Morrowind but alot better in nearly every way, especially the combat. I didn't play Morrowind much because the battle system turned me off, but I'm quite enjoying this one. There is a bit of an action component in that you can block enemies, push them back, aim spells and bows, which makes it fun to fight people rather than a chore.

The graphics are good, but run pretty slow so I have to run the game on medium detail. The battle animations are great, especially the way your view moves and shakes as you swordfight. I think the characters look horrible though, their faces looks like they came out of a random face generator, non-human races especially look hideously ugly. The tiger headed people are a joke.

They have a dynamic conversation system for NPCs, where they will discuss current events and make small talk with each other. This seems like it would be a great way to make the game more immersive, but it makes most of the towns in Oblivion sound like special-ed schools. Their conversations make sense but sound really awkward, especially when delievered in the incredibly cheery tone of voice everybody in the game seems to have. They usually go something like this -

Person 1 - "Hello, what do you want?"
Person 2 - "How are you doing?"
Person 1 - "Goblins stole my packed lunch on the way to work!"
Person 2 - "I hate goblins!"
Person 1 - "Surely they are most distasteful creatures."
Person 2 - "Stop talking to me!"
Person 1 - "Goodbye."

They'll also do this at very inappropriate times, for example two people will have a conversation, walk away, turn around and say the same thing to each other a second time.

Aside from the characters though I really like this game. Most of the skills have a little mini-game involved, like with alchemy you have to figure out which herbs go with each other, you have to jiggle lockpicks around inside the lock to get it open, and when you're trying to persuade somebody a circular graph comes up with four quadrants, a rotating reticle and you have to plot points on it. I didn't figure out how it worked so I cant say if it was fun or not, but I don't think a conversation should be carried out in the same manner as directing an artillery barrage.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it earlier than I expected (one of my friends at the store was nice enough to drive up to the warehouse and get it for me), and it is easily playable on my machine. I even have HDR enabled at it runs smooth, although I'm finding the combat a little hard (with more than one enemy, I easily get swamped). It does crash a bit more than I'd like (although what I'd like is not at all). And I do agree with Hamish's comments (and in fact, they are made by a random face generator - its called FaceGen). Maybe the reason I'm having trouble is because magic users always seem to have an advantage (at least in Morrowind they did) and I chose a fighting guy. Still, an extremely good game.
hair65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: nike shoes and wigs Reply with quote

www.google.com online shopping human hair wigs and nike shoes for discount.wholesale lace front wigs and cheap nike air max shos online.where to buy high quality synthetic wigs and roshe run shoes is a best choice.
human hair wigs
cheap lace front wigs
full lace wigs
lace front wigs
cheap human hair wigs
cheap synthetic wigs
cheap wigs for women
cheap bob wigs
african american wigs cheap
afro wigs cheap
cheap full lace wigs
cheap curly wigs
cheap cosplay wigs
cheap wigs for men
cheap costume wigs
cheap hair extensions

cheap nike shoes
nike air max
nike air max 90
nike air max 90 womens white
white roshes mens
roshes women
cheap air max 90
air max 270 mens
nike air max 1 mens
cheap nikes online
nike sb janoski
nike skateboarding shoes
nike air force one men
nike air force 1 low
black huaraches
nike huarache women
air max 270
air max sale
nike air max sale
air jordan 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: