FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Aegis Upgrades
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about two additional slots for the Aegis? It has 4 "light" slots for turrents and mining equipment, and it has a "heavy" slot for its cannon.

With two medium slots it allows for a system like this:

4 Light slots: Turrents, Mining Scoop, Mining Laser, Small Shield Generator, Light Armor Plating
2 Medium Slots: Ion Cannons, Rocket Missile and Torpedo Launchers, Medium Shield Generator, Medium Armor Plating
1 Heavy Slot: Cannon, Nova Bomb Launcher, Heavy Shield Generator, Heavy Armor Plating

If you needed to balance out the Nova Bombs and the other Launchers I'd try increasing their reload times compared to your fighters.
Ripdog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As tryagain said, having more then one or two options for each weapon slot would be great, and if you are doing shields, you might as well add some new aegis weapons as well, so there is only one lot of playtesting. My ideas:

Main cannon:

Swarmer missiles ( fires about 10 heat seeking missiles that home in on enemy ships, prefering drones as targets and does much less damage against any other ships, effective for when one of those circular ships are in the node),

Nova cannon (long range, large radius, shreddes anything it hits, 10 sec reload)

Sweeper laser (similar to current, but automatically "swept" through enemy fleets to do more damage,5 sec reload) .

Turret slots:

Sniper laser ( Fires once or twice a second, low damage but good for wearing down fleets for the main cannon to dispatch),

Mining tools, (same as current, mabey longer range sucking and multiple nozzles when upgraded?)

Plasma cannons (similar to current, but the shot could hit any amount of enemies before disapearing at the end of its range, slow reload),

Minigun (target one enemy and spray it until dead, devastating against cap ships and mini caps)

Shockwave cannon (possibly for main cannon slot, knocked the enemy ships away, they could hit each other and explode, asteroids, etc... uber effective with nova cannon (knocked away ships while cannon reloads))

I also have a proposal for another slot, the equipment slot.

You could put things like this in it:

Shield (self explanitory)

Fire control tower (increased power of your fighter (when near the aegis), increased aegis gun power)

Fighter Hangar (holds about 10 fighters, launchs when the aegis warps in and defends it),

Engine upgrade (increases the movement rate of the aegis, good for using the "follow" command, explained below)

With this, you would have to increase the number and power of the enemies drastically and this would mean that your fighter would be even more vunerable.

Instead of buffing the fighters, why not add ai and player commands to the aegis! Like follow, go there, automine (Goes to nearest asteroid cluster, mines), attack nearest enemies (same as automine, but attacks enemies) You could tell the aegis to attack and distract the enemies, then you come at them from behind and smash them. (Add a weakness to enemies when attacked from behind?

Well, thats all, i know 99% of this post will go to waste, but it was fun thinking it up. Twisted Evil
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestions:

1) More weapon variety. Turrets are all well and good, but consider making something like the mining drill that targets enemies. An ion-3 type turret would be neat, too -- less damage than the turret 3, but spreads out so it's more likely to hit those little fighters, and bounces so it rules against fleets. And, of course, some sort of light missile turrets would be awesome.

2) "Equipment" slots that can only be used for equipment. Consider: scoops and enhanced scoops, storage pods (+50 space for each mineral type per pod), batteries (let the cannon fire a little faster), shields or armor (absorb some damage), etc. Have few enough slots that there's real tactical variety...

Honestly, what I want from the Aegis is the same thing I get from any of my own ships... the ability to give it unique character. On the ship, some people prefer ions, or beams, or blasters, or mixed beams and torps, or whatever. Some people prefer avengers or even prowlers. Some people prefer shieldless (harder to hit) ships. Some prefer light, fast ships and some prefer boats with excessive firepower. Some prefer triple nova 3's while others prefer a single nova 1. But when it comes to the Aegis, it's a cannon 3 and 4 turret 3's or bust (unless you're mining, in which case, you take off a couple turrets and put on mining equipment.) There's no character there, no variety. But if I'm deciding between blaster-type turrets and ion-type turrets and missiles, or choosing between light shields and a slightly faster cannon, or choosing to make the Aegis even more mining-friendly by adding cargo space instead of combat enhancements... then I can make the Aegis really "my" station.
Tryagain Infinity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well adding equipment slots could be a bad idea because then you would just throw the best stuff on and have a Super Aegis. If you upgrade the Aegis in one area it should be limited in another.

For example, right now when you trade turrents for mining equipment you lose firepower but gain resource gathering.

In a future version, hopefully, you could put a long ranged mining scoop in the medium slot, a long ranged mining drill in the other medium slot, a cannon in the heavy slot for defence, and two light cargo pods and two small lab pods in the light slots for better research. Just think of the possibilites!!! Very Happy This way you have to carefully choose what you put where.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tryagain Infinity wrote:
two small lab pods in the light slots for better research.

Lab Pods! Now that's a cool idea. Smile
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the doctor now getting mad at one of his assistants "What are doing here? Who said you can look out the window? No daylight for you, get back in yer pod!"

Hmm, yea, research speed enhancements.
Doom III

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Dallas wrote:
I can see the doctor now getting mad at one of his assistants "What are doing here? Who said you can look out the window? No daylight for you, get back in yer pod!"

hahaha:)

how bout a disco pod>put the crew in to relieve stress and keep them happy
Tryagain Infinity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how bout a disco pod>put the crew in to relieve stress and keep them happy

Yeah, and Rock 'n' roll pod, a techno pod, classical pod, jazz pod, Starscape Limited Plutonium Edition Remix VII pod. Laughing

Quote:
Fire control tower (increased power of your fighter (when near the aegis), increased aegis gun power)

Well that's one way to do a fire control tower. Another idea is when you have such a tower on the Aegis the guns fire more accurrately. Often I've watch as shot after shot is wasted by the Aegis as it struggles to take out a single drone; only to have the cannon roast the drone just as its about to die from the turrents. Also, have the Aegis move (if possible) to engage capital ships in there weak spots. Ever seen the Aegis take on a Graviton from the wrong angle?

Quote:
Lab Pods! Now that's a cool idea.

Thanks. There's also cargo pods, manufacturing pods (could combine with lab pods), sensor pods, jammer pods (oh there's an enemy jammer but shields still work!), refinery pods ($$$), Moonpod Smile , repair pods (free repairs maybe?), rearming pods, mining pods (no need to dock to deposit). Anyone else got some pod ideas?
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget if it was this thread or another one, but a pod used to make deliveries. Maybe its something that has to be launched while in warp mode to give it a boost, and that way if there's trading in the sequel, you could use one of these to fill manufacturing missions with.
Tryagain Infinity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.moonpod.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1227&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Mining pod that what you mean?

I was thinking something like the Aegis has a resource receiver in one slot and your ship has a resource sender in one of its spaces. You mine the resources and they get beamed to the Aegis cargo holds.
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea that's the one. There was a mining pod idea there and one about using one for trade good deliveries.

That's a good idea btw, for when your mining with your fighter. i.e. instead of docking, you'd fly within a certain range to the station for the beam transfer.

It might need a little balancing though, since I take it the idea is to still be able to cover the station while its doing its transfer (combined defensive fire). I think it could be done though cause there are those times where that strategy might not be smart, like if your ship is too weak and needs to dock anyway.
Tryagain Infinity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and combined with the repair and rearming pods it would be like pulling in for a pit stop. Pretty sweet.

How about a pod that allows you to change fighters outside the Aegis? That way you can have a mining vessel and be able to quick switch to a gunship or torpedo boat when you need it.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to summarize

lab pod
looks like a satellite dish
helps research and fires EMP beams to paralyze enemy ships

maintenance pod
looks like a mechanical arm
helps production and repairs/re-arms your ship with a repair beam when you fly nearby

mining drone
attaches to the beam turret slot
detaches and mines autonomously

discussion pod
fires flame torps and troll bombs Laughing *

moonpod
makes battlescape and MR robot FASTER

*jk but we need a missile launching pod
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
moonpod
makes battlescape and MR robot FASTER

Very Happy

could do with a couple of those here.
ragnarok

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the shields, I like the idea of a shield replacing the main cannon. it reduces firepower while increasing defense. I would prefer the shield myself as a way to save resources on damage to the aegis. repairing it is such a hassle.

still, i think the main reason *I* want to do more to the aegis is because I love upgrading stuff. I would love to be able to have a hidden miniquest to unlock a new node that had shield technology in it.

moreover, perhaps hidden scientists hidden all over the game? all who are named, and can offer researchable upgrades to the aegis. like faster turrets, or ion damage for the small turrets.

speaking of medium nodes, perhaps they should be hab nodes instead? nodes that you could build that would boost the ageis in ways other then weapons.

a lab node to increase research
an engine node to increase the aegis' speed
a generator node to increase shield strength
a tactical node to increase firepower and/or turret speed

This would let me build way more stuff for the aegis, and that is what I be likin. where to put habitable nodes on the aegis? that's the question, I think. Still, shields would be awesome
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: