FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Cedega?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Cedega? Reply with quote

I've heard that people have played the game successfully with Cedega, but I can't get it to install. I'm using Point2Play 4.4.3, and the installer works fine until it actually starts to copy files. Then the window with the install wizard freezes and stops refreshing (so if you drag anything over it, it'll leave a ghost image).

Can anyone here help?
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's possible that we broke Cedega support with the last version of Starscape - but I think that was a savegame related issue. Poo Bear has written some new savegame code which we think will work now, and we are going to roll that into Starscape 1.6. That's coming after Mr. Robot though.

Hadn't heard of any installer issues though - there's a few linux users on these boards that might know how to do it though. Other than that, all I can do is promise to look at it when we get round to 1.6. -Sorry I can't give you a better answer than that right now.
yangman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my hands on cedega today, and managed to install Starscape.

It seems that you must first install the version on the CD, then install the updated version on top of it.

Works wonderfully.
yangman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I spoke too soon...

Under Cedega, it seems that Starscape can't save anything--games, settings... nothing.

v1.0 from the CD works wonderfully. After upgrading to v1.5c, not so much.

It seems that Cedega (or even wine in general) can't correctly handle programs wanting to use C:\Documents and Settings\${USERNAME}\Application Data\ for storage.

Ugh...
yangman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: where does Starscape store its configuration file after v1.4?

With 1.5c, it doesn't seem like Starscape\Starscape.cfg is being respected anymore, and no changes I make to it are being obeyed.
yangman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, figured out where configs files are by installing Starscape to my windows partition.

(I feel like I'm having a conversation with myself)

There is definitely some wacky things going on with the savegame code, as Starscape fails to create any config files where they're supposed to go, even if I manually make sure the directories exist beforehand.

More interestingly, Starscape continues to ignore existing Starscape.cfg even if it is created manually. Seems like it's doing something improper when looking up the path to My Documents, and hence breaking wine/cedega support.

I suppose I'll have to be content with only Survival and Instant Action until 1.6 is rolled out...
Rup

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yangman wrote:
Seems like it's doing something improper when looking up the path to My Documents, and hence breaking wine/cedega support.

Well at first glance they're using IShellFolder::ParseDisplayName(CLSID_MyDocuments). This is one of the three methods documented here in MSDN for finding the "My Documents" folder.

You caught me in a programming mood so here's a test console app you can try with each method. Source included with both narrow character (MBCS) and UNICODE builds; the binaries are 40+k because I statically linked the VC71 runtime in case you don't have the DLL. FWIW Starscape uses the MBCS shell functions.

Surprisingly, method 2 fails for me (!) with 0x80070057, ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER. Let us know which work on Cedega!
yangman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome.

Well, here is the output from the two test apps under cedega:
Code:
yzhao@fuu ~/.cedega/win98/c_drive/My Documents $ cedega
My Documents path test (UNICODE build)
======================================

1. IShellFolder::ParseDisplayName(CLSID_MyDocuments)
    *** ParseDisplayName failed, hr = 0x8007000e
2. SHGetFolderLocation CSIDL_MYDOCUMENTS
    *** SHGetFolderLocation failed, hr = 0x80070057
3. SHGetFolderLocation CSIDL_PERSONAL
    "C:\My Documents"
My Documents path test (MBCS build)
===================================

*** ParseDisplayName failed, hr = 0x8007000e
    "C:\My Documents"

Same result under wine as well.

So, it seems like CSIDL_MYDOCUMENTS is not recognized, while CSIDL_PERSONAL is.

This is really odd since a quick look on google locates a patch for wine which adds CSIL_MYDOCUMENTS back in '01, and it is already in CVS.

I think I'll try filing a bug with wine and see what happens...

BTW, there's a typo in the output for test 1. (Doesn't affect the test, of course)
yangman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

winehq bug file: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4202
Rup

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, CSIDL_MYDOCUMENTS doesn't work on XP either (!). I should have posted my output:
Code:
My Documents path test (UNICODE build)
======================================

"C:\Documents and Settings\Rupert\My Documents"
    "C:\Documents and Settings\Rupert\My Documents"

It might be worth raising a bug on method IShellFolder::ParseDisplayName as well/instead since that's the one Starscape uses. The error code you got, 0x8007000E, is E_OUTOFMEMORY (!). This could mean Wine's expecting me to do something I haven't - I have initialized COM, though, and that's the obvious one. I don't see anything obvious in Wine's ParseDisplayName but I don't know where to start in the Wine code really.

It really is CLSID in 1 not CSIDL if that's what you meant.

[edit] I've attached my test program to your bug. I hadn't spotted you'd linked back to this thread. Oh well, they've got the details twice now Smile

There's actually a test for this in Wine's own shell32 test code.
yangman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm...

Looks like the issue is fixed in newer versions of wine.

Starscape is still out of luck, however, as wine still doesn't completely support the DirectX components it needs to run. As for Cedega, who knows how long it'll take to resolve such a minor issue...

The good news, though, is that Starscape does start under newer wine. Nothing draws, and mouse capture is completely wonky, but at least it starts.
Rup

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yangman wrote:
Looks like the issue is fixed in newer versions of wine.

The output in the bug report, though: you're still getting "::{450d8fba-ad25-11d0-98a8-0800361b1103}" back when you should probably be getting the same as 3. That string is My Document's CLSID which is the input to ParseDisplayName so the function isn't recognising it and expanding it as Windows XP does.
01d55

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yangman wrote:
Looks like I spoke too soon...

Under Cedega, it seems that Starscape can't save anything--games, settings... nothing.

v1.0 from the CD works wonderfully. After upgrading to v1.5c, not so much.

It seems that Cedega (or even wine in general) can't correctly handle programs wanting to use C:\Documents and Settings\${USERNAME}\Application Data\ for storage.

Ugh...

Unfortunately for me, I bought the download upgrade option instead of the CD, so I've got to install 1.5c. However, the installer hangs silently as soon as it starts copying files. (but after I've selected all the options)
01d55

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a page for Starscape on the unnofficial cedega wiki.

http://cedegawiki.sweetleafstudios.com/wiki/Starscape
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going to test this with version 1.6 of Starscape. Poo Bear has already re-written the saves code for Mr. Robot, which we will use in SS1.6. fingers crossed, it should solve this problem.

The installer not working is a new issue though, probably related to the sprite unpacker I would think. We might be able to work it out when we test - I'm going to get a version of Fedora up and running with Cedega to do that.

Unfortunately, we are quite a way off being able to to work on Starscape. It will be a priority once Mr. Robot is done however.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: