FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Nintendo Reveals TV remote control
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Nintendo Reveals TV remote control Reply with quote

at least, I thought that's what it was:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/15/commentary/game_over/revolution/

Smile
Hamish
Pod Developer
Pod Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I thought it was bloody stupid, then I read that you control it by physically tilting the controller and it seemed a little more plausable. I can see it getting tiring to hold up during long gaming sessions, and precise movement looks like it'd be more difficult while drunk or otherwise distracted.

But on the good side you can control FPS games much easier. They could even start making RTS games on console, if they did I might consider buying it.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay. I'm just glad they've shown some balls with this one. After loving the design on the N64 controller, I felt a bit disappointed with the Gamecube one. It was cluttered and dull. This looks like something I could learn to love. Light-saber duel, anyone? Hell, two-handed light-saber duel?
beefburger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good, but will big publishers and developers just do a half-assed job and make the system look bad? Sad maybe they will have to follow through on their indie promises after all Laughing
Doom III

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first i thought - how stupid, but nor i am thinking -

can it be used like a laser pointer so we can do mouse control sorts of games

i also think i can get my dad to have a go of this becaus eit looks like a remote and he sits round with that on his belly most days so he should be used to it Smile
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can hold it side on and use it like a completely bog standard d-pad plus two button controler (like a NES). Bit of a cop out but it does mean you don't have to use its fancy features (i.e. if you made a racing game for example).

This is Nintendo's promo video:
http://sylfurd.free.fr/revolutiontrailer_091605_qtlow.mov

They way they are throwing themselves around is either an exageration or they have achieved two things:

1. A perfect way to integrate the players perception of his hand into the game. The players acted like they hand a deep "feeling" for where their controller was, otherwise they couldn't have thrown themselves around like that and remained accurate.

2. An extrordinarily sensitive and accurate 3D position and orientation technology within the controller.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the horribly expensive Gyration thingies. I do wonder how they can get it to work without an absolute frame of reference, but I trust they wouldn't try it if they weren't pretty sure they could get it to work. I'm intrigued by what looks like some kind of optic device on the end. Surely it connects by radio and not by infra-red, so what is that thing? Is it to act as a light-gun? Is it just a decoration?

I'd *guess* it will probably feel a bit like using a graphics tablet, so far as manipulation things in the game's space goes.
happymonster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparantly you put two supplied sensors either side of the TV so it can get accurate positioning.

I'm also in two minds for this one, I think it will be of most use for Party style games. For extended gaming I think it may be too tiring to use in this new way.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game journalist's impressions after playing the Nintendo Revolution demo apps:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782

Sounds like it does actually work pretty well.
HunterXI

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, after reading an article on it, I have to say that it doesn't sound that bad to me. I've seen a lot of people dissing it lately, but having read IGN's Article, Gamespot's Article, and 1up's Article, I'm fairly sure they're just uninformed idiots.

Nonetheless, I DO think the thing will be a nightmare in terms of porting games from other consoles, and many developers will shy away from making games on Rev in addition to the '360 and the PS3.

And remember everyone... even if you hate it, it's still better than the PS3's controller.

My current NG Controller preferences:

1. Xbox 360's "X-Controller" (a take on "S-Controller")
2. Rev's "Remote Controller" (1up's invention)
3. PS3's Boomerang (...what it is)
beefburger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the hell did Microsoft kill the Duke Sad that was the perfect control for people with normal sized hands, but now I can't find them anywhere!
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say I have freakishly small hands, but the big controller for the XBox felt really weird for me. The four main buttons stretched away from my thumb and I wasn't sure why. It made them feel harder to use. And it didn't feel comfortable to have my thumbs so far down if I had to use the lower direction sticks. But I'm no ergonomics expert. I still like the N64 controller's design best, even if it tended to scare people. Shame it had such a poor quality analog stick.
Flumpaphone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own children have big problems with the Xbox controller. Although they are quite young still.

I think Nintendo may have a good idea with this new controller. I would predict there will be more games on the Revolution that you can play with your entire family than there will be on any other console.

The things I would question are:

-Will this hurt developers who cannot easily support big name games on the console and cannot port Revolution games to other platforms easily?
-Will games that use the controller in horizontal mode be unpopular on the system because the people who bought them wish to show off the controller and just buy games that use it to its fullest.
-Will the solitary gamer be alienated, and can the console do without that market?
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may regret posting the link here, but I waffled on a bit about this on my Livejournal. The short version is that I have a lot of hopes for the Revolution controller, and hope that it can be a step to get console gaming moving in a more healthy direction. Time will tell.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I pretty much agree with you. I am getting a bit jaded with games sometimes. Poo Bear recently pointed out to me that this happens with all types of media - one of the reasons I'm so into foreign and indie films is because I watch too many films and now crave something a bit different.

In the same way that the DS excites me because there are game mechanics I've never played before (not because I want gaming on the move), or PS3 EYEDentify excites me, the Revolution has piqued my interest..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: