FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Playstation 3 expectations
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  How high are your PSIII expectations?  

It will blow everything else out of the water
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
It will match what the 360 can handle.
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
360 will be way cheaper by then, and have more and better games
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]

Total Votes : 7  

Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Playstation 3 expectations Reply with quote

I see the Nintendo Revolution as sidestepping the Xbox360/PSIII battle, so for the mainstream 'big console' it's going to be those two duking it out.

I wondered what everyone's expectations of the PS3 are like at the moment?

Two things have thrown my thoughts on it:

*The obvious visual lie that was the Killzone 2 trailer. 'Representative' is my favourite word, and in this case it 'represented' some incredibly hard work by a 3d animation production house, and represented zilch about the PSIIIs capabilities.

*Talking to a lot of developers; they aren't happy about the PSIII. I won't go into much detail, but it seems like a complete nightmare to develop for. Currently they seem to think that it could have been very powerful, but has been severely hamstrung because Sony can't get bits of it to work. It seems likely you could get marginally better performance from it than from a 360, but that requires tons of work, and the 360 is far easier to optimise for so with little effort you can probably match this.

I have to say I'm very surprised - I'd have thought the PSIII would be quite a lot more powerful than a 360, but the verdict seems to be- it is, but you can't harness any of that power, so it isn't. I even know of people who have said they explicitly don't want to work on it because it's so difficult to code for and they'd rather just get on with games.

Anyway, I was wondering what everyone's expectations of it right now are. I suppose it has blu-ray, but will that be enough if the rest of the system just matches a 360? Surely the price will be way above 360 too? for a console, I have to say I'd personally be tempted to get a 360 at that point if the price is right. I'll wait and see of course though, and try not to get bedazzled by the hype machine.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

microsoft **** up with the 360 launch, rushing it out the door in time for christmas when it clearly wasn't ready

also they launched without a killer app (where is halo 3 when you need it)
as a result i don't know anyone who owns one

aditonaly if the dreamcast told us anything it's never go first

in conclusion i predict the 360 will go the way of the dreamcast leaving the PS3 and the revolution to duke it out

however i am a PC gamer so this doesn't really matter to me
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
however i am a PC gamer so this doesn't really matter to me

Actually, that's a good point - I am too bar the odd dabbling with a DS.

PCs rule for gaming - I don't know why sales have been declining for so long. PC retail games market yearly revenues have apparently dropped $950 million since 2000, although mmorpgs have clawed back some $650 mill.
Magnulus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so difficult to say, you know? I guess I kind of just keep hoping that Sony will work out the kinks of the PS3 and finally get it working properly. As you know, I know jack about developing for anything at all, so don't know if there's any chance of the ease of development to be improved in the future by way of updates to the dev kits or whatever. I seem to remember hearing that the PS2 was a bit of a pain to develop for as well, but look at the Prince of Persia trilogy and King Kong for the PS2. They look fantastic.

Mostly, since there's not much to go by for an out-of-biz nobody like myself but hype and speculations, I'm sticking to the PS3 simply because I've got both the previous PSes, and they've served me well over the years. The Xbox also has the stigma of being attached to the E-ville Microsoft corporation which we all love to hate. However, since a PC upgrade isn't going to happen anytime soon, and I need to get Oblivion at some point, I guess the Xbox will end up in my living room in any case at some point.

I'll reserve judgement until the PS3 has come closer to completion.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnulus wrote:
The Xbox also has the stigma of being attached to the E-ville Microsoft corporation which we all love to hate.

Oddly enough, I don't feel the need to follow the slashdot sheep on that score; I don't feel the need to demonise MS without reason (OK, most corporations have acted pretty shadily for years, but it gets a bit boring hearing people whine on about MS just because they've had to start paying for XP since the activation system was updated.) In any case, it seems like warped logic to hold up Sony as a comparison in the same statement. (I realise as a far as game development goes, we are nobodies, but MS at least have always given us the time of day when we've contacted them...)
Magnulus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, yeah. Sony really isn't that much better than Microsoft, which is why I added "love to hate". It's sort of a knee-jerk reaction thing when someone goes "Oh hey, Microsoft released this new thingy!". I don't really mind them THAT much, but old habits die hard, as they say. It's like those old family disputes that go on for generations, the actual people forgetting what they're really fighting about in the first place. They just hate eachother by default.
Magnulus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it seems a november release is now official for the PS3, and it will by the looks of it not have a "core system" like the Xbox, but rather a 60 gig harddrive as standard.

They're apparently shipping the final dev kit in june, and working with third parties to create middleware for making the development easier. Sounds like times might be a-changing. Still not voting, though.
Doom III

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my programer friend at a BIG company here says he hates ps3 dev he also said the turnd off more parts of the cel chips

they used to ahev 8 spus and now have 6 cause they keep failing

any1 know what a spu is Question
Magnulus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea.

Oh, I forgot to mention 100% backwards compatability, and that they say that it will play the old games in Hi-Def as well, though I'm not sure how that's going to happen without modifying the games themselves. I guess there are a few spare CPU cycles they can use to run some clever hardware upsamling, but... I dunno. Fost? Poo? Probable? If I can play Metal Gear Solid 1 at 1090p or with Anti-aliasing (oh no, not that again!) on a PS3, that's reason enough for me to get it.

Apart from the Blu-Ray player, that is.
Slyh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doom III wrote:
any1 know what a spu is :?:

It's a Synergistic Processing Unit, see Wikipedia.
I guess those are independent processing units which are specialiced in fast mathematical calculation.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are more commonly known as Digital Signal Processors I think, i.e. very simple but powerful mini cpu's. They can't do anything too complex and have hardly any memory but they can do basic tasks lightning quick i.e. processing triangle lists, calculating a string of normals. They did officially announce they had turned one spu off and gone from 8->7. They do it to increase silicon chip yield.

Years ago you could buy expensive 486DX chips which contained a maths co-processir (ooh!) or you could buy a cheaper 486SX which didn't. It turned out Intel were just making 486DX chips but then when the maths co-processor was faulty they just turned it off and rebadged the chip.

Bottom line is it is very difficult to make silicon chips and large numbers have to be binned, I think it is to do with impurities. The more bits of your chip design you forget about the more faults you can handle without throwing the chip away. Sounds crazy, but its quite common.
hair65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: nike shoes and wigs Reply with quote

www.google.com online shopping human hair wigs and nike shoes for discount.wholesale lace front wigs and cheap nike air max shos online.where to buy high quality synthetic wigs and roshe run shoes is a best choice.
human hair wigs
cheap lace front wigs
full lace wigs
lace front wigs
cheap human hair wigs
cheap synthetic wigs
cheap wigs for women
cheap bob wigs
african american wigs cheap
afro wigs cheap
cheap full lace wigs
cheap curly wigs
cheap cosplay wigs
cheap wigs for men
cheap costume wigs
cheap hair extensions

cheap nike shoes
nike air max
nike air max 90
nike air max 90 womens white
white roshes mens
roshes women
cheap air max 90
air max 270 mens
nike air max 1 mens
cheap nikes online
nike sb janoski
nike skateboarding shoes
nike air force one men
nike air force 1 low
black huaraches
nike huarache women
air max 270
air max sale
nike air max sale
air jordan 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: