FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
PSP vs DS
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  Which is better, PSP or DS?  

PSP, Nintendo is just for kids.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
PSP, becuase it's just better.
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
DS, PSP is too expensive.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DS, because it's just better.
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
I don't care, I don't have or want either.
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
They're both cool!
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
PSP, it has heaps better games.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DS, it has heaps better games.
52%
 52%  [ 11 ]

Total Votes : 21  

Author
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: PSP vs DS Reply with quote

A simple question: which is better, PSP or DS? I have both and I like them both so I'll pick the "They're both cool!" option.
HunterXI

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordinarily, I don't take sides, but seeing as I am posting this from a PSP, I'm going to go with PSP.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PSP is very sexy, and looks cool, but:

• Analogue controller isn't to my tastes.
  • Industry friends working on the thing say that the wireless system is really unreliable.
  • The current games list is really poor.
  • Web browser isn't a big plus for me as I don't think the screen is big enough, even if it is much nicer than the DS ones.
  • Whole thing is actually a little flimsy.

DS on the other hand is not the most attractive of designs - screens could be bigger, GBA SP looks sexier, why couldn't they get the two screens closer? I'm sure it's an engineering feat, but I bet a truly great engineer would have come up with a way to have the screens fold along their edges, making it pretty close to one big screen when open.

Still:
  • lots of unique features making for unique games you can't get anywhere else.
  • Whilst I don't like the design, at least it is very sturdy.
  • The most important thing: the games catalogue is already really good, there's loads of games I want to play on DS!
  • Moonpod has DS developer certification Smile

It really just comes down to games for me, I love the PSP screens, but I wouldn't buy one to watch films on. DS on the other hand has loads of unique games that I really want to try out. Still - this situation could and hopefully will change as more PSP games turn up, but right now, I'd say DS has the edge.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with EVERYTHING YOU SAID Fost.... its just a problem how long it takes (DS especially) games to come out hee in Australia... I mean Advance Wars Dual Strike (which I'm really looking forward to) doesn't come out here for.... a month from today Smile But other games like Nintendogs (September 22nd) not that I'm looking forward to it (personally I hate dogs Smile) Mario Kart DS (November sometime but not confirmed), Kirby Cancas Curse (sounds like a more advanced version of Yoshi Touch & Go) doesn't come out here till... when Advance Wars does actually). Thinking about this having just spent $400 on a PSP and I don't have a job (I'm not even old enough to drive) I'm going to have to find a source of money Smile
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only used the DS, so I'm not voting, but I'm 100% sold on the stylus input mechanism. It's a shame that it will likely be years before I have a tablet PC and probably as many more again before there are PC games that take adantage of the input method. The only problem I found is that you forget and keep trying to click on things on the top screen.

Are PSP movies region-locked like DVDs? I don't understand how the thing is supposed to appeal to non-gamers with a launch catalogue of about 30 films. It's not like a game where you can play it for days or weeks. Watch the film once and it's pretty much done. And yet, apparently they are selling huge quantities of the things.
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually sort of went the other way when it comes to gaming/movie watching. I got a slick Panasonic portable DVD player and use that to listen/watch stuff as I sit at the computer.

I don't actually have much of a stance on these portable gaming systems, other than I'd probably look into them more fully if had the opportunity to use them.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep wondering if PDAs are becoming a possible outlet, although several developers have privately told me it's not done much for them, but that was a year or two back.

It certainly looks like an easier system to get into than mobile phones> with phones, there's 10x more platforms, and no debuggers. With PDAs you can probably hit WinCe only and support a few different screen formats and still sell off your own site.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, with regard to the closeness of the screens, it looks to me like games that have a primary screen and a reference/status/map/inventory screen are a lot better off than those that try to have one playfield span both screens. Having very briefly played Advance Wars DS, I love the way that it uses the top screen for unit stats without making you constantly toggle back and forth. Warioware Touched does wonderful things with the touch screen, but the games that span both screens can be a real pain.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you are using the lower screen for Map/hud (which I do agree is cool enough in itself), I still think they should have been next to each other. Done right, I reckon it could have been virtually seamless, which would have allowed for even more types of gameplay.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
Are PSP movies region-locked like DVDs?
Simply put: yes. Movies are region locked but games aren't (according to what I've read, anyway)
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konedima wrote:
Simply put: yes.

you know, I was thinking - there is a reason I'd want to watch umd movies - I'd watch them on the plane. I'm always flying and I hate it, but my GBA has saved me from going insane many a time. Seems mad to region lock PSPs though - what if I buy a UMD movie at an airport!
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now see, that might be one of the factors I'd consider when buying one. If they were region free with DVDs, that feature would smoke my player easy in terms of capabilities.
HunterXI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UMD Movies are region-locked because of Hollywood. Go figure. Rolling Eyes

The Games, however, ARE Region-free.

Truth be told though, when people want to watch movies on their PSPs, they do it off of the Memory Stick. It's much more cost effective (heh...), Battery life is longer, and you can fit a good 150 Minutes of pretty-good quality video on a 512MB Memory stick. Hopefully, 2 and 4GB 'Sticks will go down in price by next year.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HunterXI wrote:
Hopefully, 2 and 4GB 'Sticks will go down in price by next year.
They better (although the price probably wouldn't come down here for a while) because I am NOT paying as much as my psp cost for a memory stick (heck even 1gb sticks cost half as much as the psp). Can't they just use SD cards like normal digital devices (the answer: of course not. sony has to have everything its own format. from flash memory to next gen disks to rewritable dvds. its explainable them making UMDs for the psp though... its not like they were gonna use cube disks)
starscape junkie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ds all the way Very Happy

If I really want to watch movies, a portable/laptop has much better resolution and much more space.

The DS has the backwards compatability for the GBA games, which means you start off with an already decent game library, plus the other stellar games that are coming/have come out. Im seriously impressed how they turned the stylus into a viable gameplay mechanism instead of just a gimmic.

Kirby Canvas Curse is a thouroughly enjoyable game ('cept for a few of the time trial levels Evil or Very Mad )and its almost entirely stylus based. Advance Wars DS definitly used the two screens well, and was smart enough to not force you to use the stylus.

I also enjoy the sturdy feel it gives off and how i can jam it into a pocket/drawer/wherever without worrying about the screens getting all scratched.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: