FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Bugs and suggestions for 1.6
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape Support View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Bugs and suggestions for 1.6 Reply with quote

Pulled down 1.5c today, played a quick game (under 2 hours start to finish) and noticed a few things:

- On my prowler with 4 blaster 2's and a generator 4 (plenty of power), when I charged my blasters, I only got those charged arc graphics on one side of the ship. I'm pretty sure I got the full 4 blasters worth of shots, though. (Picture)

- If the station has a scoop, but it's full on one color of mineral, it will point at it but not pick it up. It doesn't seem to know to move on and pick up the next mineral of a different color, either. So, if you're full on greens, having a few greens come out of a rock next to your station can completely stop it from mining. Perhaps it should just pick them up anyway (and auto-repair?)

- If you play the tutorial, you get a turret 1 for the station, as well as an outfitted prowler. If you skip the tutorial, you don't get the turret 1.

- Also, if you happen to (by chance) discover some missing crew during the tutorial, it doesn't give you the "we found some crew, lucky us" message.

- I noticed that when something is right at the edge of your screen, its sounds start to fade out -- so, for example, if the station is right at the edge of the screen and it's shooting at stuff the shooting sounds get real quiet. But, if you're at the edge of the map, you end up at the edge of the screen and your own sounds fade out. This is probably unintended behavior...

- I still get the "stuck to the zone 3 boss" bug. Basically, once you've flown inside to shoot at his insides, if you barely bump into the corner of one of the legs on the way out, instead of bouncing off the leg back into the inside gap, you get sucked through the leg and take a good bit of damage. (It appears to push you a few pixels away from the boss center, but unfortunately, if you were just inside him that means you're getting pushed a few pixels into his leg instead of out of it.)

That's all I have for now...
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bugs and suggestions for 1.6 Reply with quote

Lothar wrote:
On my prowler with 4 blaster 2's and a generator 4 (plenty of power), when I charged my blasters, I only got those charged arc graphics on one side of the ship. I'm pretty sure I got the full 4 blasters worth of shots, though. (Picture)

That's one of those things I keep noticing and forgetting about. It's been like that since I can remember. If I didn't report it originally I am very stupid.

Lothar wrote:
If you play the tutorial, you get a turret 1 for the station, as well as an outfitted prowler. If you skip the tutorial, you don't get the turret 1.

I'm not really complaining. I guess it makes people playing the tutorial feel like there was a point to it.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for that, i'll add it to my "bugs to be investigated" list.
Doom III

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry if suggestions arenot supposed to be here but it is the thread title!

my suggestion/request for 1.6 is MORE OF THE SAME PLEASE!

there is so much right with starscape all i want is more of what is there. any one of the following would keep me happy but the more the happier i will be.

more weapons
more equipment
more enemies
more bosses
more player ships
more missions
more quick modes (like survival and IA)
more zones (please!)
more JJ swimsuits pics

love starscape/ love that you did so many updates already/ feel guilty for wanting more freebies/ but love them so much Very Happy
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bugs and suggestions for 1.6 Reply with quote

I just finished grad school for the year, so expect me to post a whole lot more now Wink

From the "is this a bug or a feature" file:

- if you have a drill on your station, as well as a cannon (don't know if turrets matter or not; I was seeing this behavior with a cannon 1, 3 scoops, and a drill) and the drill is shooting rocks at the same time as the cannon is shooting bad guys, if the drill runs out of rocks to shoot at it'll swing around and shoot bad guys. But this is ONLY if it was already shooting at the same time as the cannon... otherwise, it points at the baddies but won't shoot. (Actually, it might just be "ONLY if it was shooting rocks and the rocks died while there were still baddies around"; it might not relate to the cannon shooting.)

Personally, I'd prefer if it just always shot bad guys if there wasn't a rock to shoot at. It's not a whole ton of damage, in particular, compared to what a nice turret 2 or 3 (considering how many shots the turrets fire per second), but it is a little bit, and it would be nice to pick off those pesky fighters that move just a little too much for the turrets to hit. I guess it's OK as it is, too, it's just strange to occasionally (but very rarely) see a drill taking out a bad guy.

And a more definite bug:

- If you get the boss node to reveal itself by shooting info nodes and just waiting the boss out, then after you've fought the boss and jump into another node, you get the "we found the boss" conversation you'd normally have gotten when you picked up the node (so you're getting dialogue telling you to get ready to fight the boss you just beat.) Perhaps killing the last miner the boss plans to make should trigger the "we found the boss" dialogue whether or not you've actually picked up the node.

EDIT:

- I also notice in the ship build screen that beam drones and missile drones now have the same graphic. Before, I believe missile drones were orange-ish and beam drones were red-ish.

Weeble wrote:
Lothar wrote:
If you play the tutorial, you get a turret 1 for the station, as well as an outfitted prowler. If you skip the tutorial, you don't get the turret 1.

I'm not really complaining. I guess it makes people playing the tutorial feel like there was a point to it.

Well... I think the point of the tutorial is to learn the game mechanics -- to learn how to mine, learn what your controls are, etc. I think it's generally expected that you'll skip it once you know how to play the game, as is the case in most other games. This is the only one I know of where skipping the tutorial actually puts you slightly behind in equipment (which makes a big difference in certain game circumstances.)

Last edited by Lothar on Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bugs and suggestions for 1.6 Reply with quote

Lothar wrote:
If you get the boss node to reveal itself by shooting info nodes and just waiting the boss out, then after you've fought the boss and jump into another node, you get the "we found the boss" conversation you'd normally have gotten when you picked up the node (so you're getting dialogue telling you to get ready to fight the boss you just beat.) Perhaps killing the last miner the boss plans to make should trigger the "we found the boss" dialogue whether or not you've actually picked up the node.

I'll definitely add that one to the list, thanks.
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I edited something in while you were responding... to make sure you didn't miss it:

- I also notice in the ship build screen that beam drones and missile drones now have the same graphic. Before, I believe missile drones were orange-ish and beam drones were red-ish.
Tssha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 1.5c, I've noticed that the music cuts out partway through the intro sequence. Of course, I had been inputting my registration code just before that, so the sound might have run out earlier than it would have, had I just gone into the intro. As it was, it cut out just after the first panel, with Earth in the picture (I miss that place already Crying or Very sad ).

Other music glitches, including the aegis menu (music cuts out, then resyncs shortly after, further along the song, always at the same spot), and...a few others I seem to be forgetting.

Anyway, just bought the game. I had an old demo lying around and I'd gotten nostalgic. Played it again and got back into it.

Also, I'd played to Zone 3 while playing the full version on a friend's computer quite some time ago. Needless to say, it was an older version. No such bug there, I think you might have broken something. Razz But, the point is, I'd started missing the game, so I got it for myself this time. Glad I did. Smile
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got the extended music pack installed? The current demo has the music shorted to keep the download size smaller. By 'cuts out' do you mean it crackles and ends and really sounds like a glitch? or it just ends?
Tssha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was it. Don't remember why my old demo didn't have that problem, but there ya go.

Funny thing is, I see that it's an addon pack for the download version and isn't needed for the CD-ROM version. My brain then skipped over it as though it wern't needed, even though I'm actually playing a downloaded version.

So, uh, yeah, that's one problem solved, at least. Razz
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably put a slightly more proffesional fade on the demo tracks - I think most of them fad out nicely, but at least one ends quite abruptly. Very Happy
we are also thinking of putting a button in the game to download it automatically off the servers once you buy the game, as I think some people miss out on it because they don't know it's there.
Tssha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some new insight into that "sound at the edge of the screen" bug. Was puttering around the Zone 2 Danger zone, chasing after stray minerals, and when I got to the right edge of the screen the sound went awfully quiet. I was using my gravity beam at the time. I tested it (with the gravity beam), turns out it only does it on the right and left hand edges, and not the top and bottom ones.

Rather interesting, don't you think?
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the tractor beam noise will cut out if you are right on the edge of the screen - we know about that. all other sound effects should play fine though - are you experiencing something different?
Tssha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the music is dimming too. Even the thruster noises will go quiet (even the boost thruster).

But it's not so much the fact that it's quiet, as the fact that it isn't quiet at the North and South edges of the playing field.

EDIT: Correction, weapon noises are not affected, however, the reverse thrusters are. Still testing.

Yes, very vigorously testing. *goes back to "testing"*
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tssha wrote:
Yeah, the music is dimming too.

I can't get that to happen at all. Music seems fine.

I think this will probably be fixed in 1.6 as we want to increase the 'sound stage' area a bit anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: