FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Linux would be so so cool!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Linux would be so so cool! Reply with quote

Damn that demo is great. I would love to see it on Linux
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's a possibility, lets just see how the Mac version goes first Smile
Racoonzz

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Think about the futur! Reply with quote

I dont know about the portability of your code but
one thing is sure at linuxgames.com if they get wind
of a linux port you should sell enough copies to pay for the
porting of this baby!! Not mentioning probably a bunch
of new friends! Laughing

Just my 2 cents. I just think linux gaming needs this
awsome title!

Are you using SDL or any other portable library?
loki_installer is a great installer for linux used for UT2k3 and
lots of previously released titles...

Good luck with Mac!

If you release for linux you've got one sold already!
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Think about the futur! Reply with quote

Racoonzz wrote:
I dont know about the portability of your code

That makes two of us Wink

Racoonzz wrote:
but
one thing is sure at linuxgames.com if they get wind
of a linux port you should sell enough copies to pay for the
porting of this baby!! Not mentioning probably a bunch
of new friends! Laughing

Just my 2 cents. I just think linux gaming needs this
awsome title!

We'd like to support "alternate" OSs, but it's simply a matter of economics at the moment. If we were rich (like, say id or Epic) then we'd definitely do it Smile. I'm thinking if I can get it compiling (not necessarily running) within a week of starting a port then it'll happen. Also, if we do a Linux port we'll announce it closer to it's release than the Mac version. That's been delayed because of a bunch of things and we've already told people about it. That's not something we want to happen too often. We'd rather spring nice surprises on everyone Wink

Racoonzz wrote:
Are you using SDL or any other portable library?
loki_installer is a great installer for linux used for UT2k3 and
lots of previously released titles...

Yes, we're using SDL for the Mac version. That's why I think if I can get it compiling under Linux reasonably quickly then the port should go reasonably smoothly. Switch on all the SDL compilation defines, switch off all the big endian stuff, that's all there is to it <cough>. Wink

Racoonzz wrote:
Good luck with Mac!

Thanks Smile

Racoonzz wrote:
If you release for linux you've got one sold already!

I can't promise anything, but I'd like to be taking your money off you at some point in the future Wink
axegrinder

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: A warning... Reply with quote

My two cents on the Linux issue:

For several years I worked in a computer games store the size of a barn. We sold everything for every platform, including a great many Linux distributions.

I remember the day Civilization: Call To Power for Linux came out. All the Linux bipeds exclaimed how happy they were to finally see proper games for Linux. They picked up the box, inspected it proudly, took note of the homepage... and put it back on the shelf.

It took about six months for us to sell our first copy of the game. Incredible. Every single (and they were single) Linux geek to that date had assumed the game was a FREE DOWNLOAD. Not warez, mind you, but totally and unequivocally free. One smelly geek actually got upset when I suggested he purchase a copy, and yelled "Linux is free, therefore Linux software is free!" Honest. I hope he's in prison now.

Be warned: the Linux audience (ie those who want to play your game) is enormous. The Linux market (ie those who will actually pay for it) is tiny.

You WILL get indignant emails demanding free Linux unlock codes, accusing you of being traitors to the concept of free software. You might as well add a new section to the forum called WaReZ.

If the Linux bipeds were seriously interested in a quality OS, as opposed to a free one, they'd be running BeOS.

Just a friendly warning from an innocent bystander in the OS wars.

Cheers,

Axegrinder.
Racoonzz

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: What the f*** you talking about? Reply with quote

So you are accusing linux users of the same thing windows users are doing at a larger scale (more users = more warez). I come here saying i will buy this game has a linux user. That means I will buy it. I think you have no idea of what linux users think because in general all the users i know are very willing to shell out some dough for a good peace of software. Loki died and it wasnt because there was no market. Agreed the market is smaller (normal with microsomething and its monopoly) doesnt mean you cant increase revenue supporting it. Doing a port gives you the edge over other game dev box in the next few years. If you think windows will keep its 98.999% market share on the desktop then you are blind and havent looked at the other offerings. Linux has made more maturing in the last year then windows did between 95 and XP (how many years that?) I support free software but im not blinded by it. You need money to survive in this world and open source and "quality" closed source software can coexist. Sorry for the rant but working in a store where they sell the Loki games and hide them in a little corner (i went to ebay to buy loki titles) doesnt give you the credit to insult every linux user...because you know what they say..that you should check in your backyard before going out loud on other peoples account. Lots of my friends are windows users...and they surely dont buy games.

Enough said. Get the linux version out and I'll buy it, simple has that.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do really want to support Linux, all the evidence points to pretty low sales, but we are going to have a go at it anyway. The decision will come down to how long Goober ends up working on it. If it starts to eat into our next project too much, then it might be put on hold or just not turn up.

Hopefully the linux gaming scene will get much better in the future, we'd certainly love that to happen, Starscape would have been much harder to finish if it wasn't for Opensource and shareware software.

e.g: SDL | wings3D | Ogg Vorbis | OpenOffice
Racoonzz

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: You could test the response on Linuxgames.com Reply with quote

I know for sure that on linuxgames.com if you announce a possible port you will get linux users attention and you will see what they think about your game! Just make sure you mention the word "possible" because linux users can be downright assholes when they feel they were lied to. I dont know what numbers would make you officialize the port but it would give an idea if the port is worth it or not.

Open source just kicks ***!

Are you planning your future projects to be portable from day one? Me and my friends started a project for win32/linux and keeping it portable isnt big a deal when its started portable in mind!

Ok so I'll be waiting for you guys. One thing for sure is that releasing for linux will help the gaming market!

Thanks for the quick responses even if my last post was more of a rant on the previous post by axegrinder.

I'm just SO linux enthousiastic i get burned easily!
WolfJaguar

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Yeesh Reply with quote

Well Linux users(not all of them mind you, just 80% of those I'VE met) in general are a bunch of mean spirited b*****rds that expect everything for free.

It's true, when I was working at EB and Quake III for Linux came out the same thing happened to us. A bunch of talking monkeys came into the store and yelled at us. I was a store clerk for god's sake, I don't decide much of anything.

Granted, there are those that bought the game and were happy to, but the vast majority of the penguins that I know are just plain closet case, locked in a basement for all eternity geeks.

The sun would kill them I swear.

That being said, I have BeOS running on one of my boxes here. I don't especially like 'open sourced' OS's. I tend to trust those that are paid for their work more.

I'd love to see how StarScape runs on a Linux box. In my opinion, Linux based OS rules Microsoft's bloated excuse for an OS.
Sarlok

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, A linux port would go well next to the Windows CD I just odrered a few days ago. Smile

I must say I completely understand where Axegrinder is comeing from about the few Linux users who will actually pay for linux ported games. I'm one of those few. Heck, I'm one of the few I know who donates to some of the free 'nix organizations out there, because I'm pleased with what they're doing.

In fact, I would have ordered the Linux version instead, if I could get it now. I'd get it when it came out later anyway, the only reason I use Windows anymore is for those one or two games that I can't get for, or to run under Linux with Wine.
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, we heard from someone a little while back that Starscape works fine under Wine. Not sure what version of Linux or Wine, YMMV, all that jazz.

cheers,
hair65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: nike shoes and wigs Reply with quote

www.google.com online shopping human hair wigs and nike shoes for discount.wholesale lace front wigs and cheap nike air max shos online.where to buy high quality synthetic wigs and roshe run shoes is a best choice.
human hair wigs
cheap lace front wigs
full lace wigs
lace front wigs
cheap human hair wigs
cheap synthetic wigs
cheap wigs for women
cheap bob wigs
african american wigs cheap
afro wigs cheap
cheap full lace wigs
cheap curly wigs
cheap cosplay wigs
cheap wigs for men
cheap costume wigs
cheap hair extensions

cheap nike shoes
nike air max
nike air max 90
nike air max 90 womens white
white roshes mens
roshes women
cheap air max 90
air max 270 mens
nike air max 1 mens
cheap nikes online
nike sb janoski
nike skateboarding shoes
nike air force one men
nike air force 1 low
black huaraches
nike huarache women
air max 270
air max sale
nike air max sale
air jordan 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: