FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Nick Tidy has died.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Nick Tidy has died. Reply with quote

I hate to be the bearer of bad news to this forum, but I just found out Nick Tidy (who composed all the music for Starscape) died on November 2nd of last year.

I had an email conversation with him not long before then, but had not spoken to him since.

Often we get emails about the music and Nick's albums, and I received one today - whilst composing my reply I looked up his website so I could include it, and then my heart completely sank when I saw the news:

http://www.ethnicrobot.com/

Nick was president of 'Drummers Unite', a charity organisation that raises money for school music departments, and his son's school has set up a scholarship fund in his name.

I will be sending a letter to Nick's wife and family, and if anyone has anything they would like to say, please feel free to email me : nick AT moonpod.com or append a note here.

If you would like to make a donation to the scholarship fund which has been set up by his son's school to further music education, please email through this website.
This fund will be for any child who is a student at Juan Cabrillo Elementary School.
Information about this perpetual fund can be obtained through the school and its principal, John Davis.

Juan Cabrillo Elementary School
30237 Morning View Drive
Malibu, CA 90265

(310) 457 0360

The late, great, Nick Tidy.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gosh. I don't know what to say. The only thing that was wrong with Nick's music in Starscape was that there wasn't enough of it. I still find myself singing "Our mission... Our mi-i-issi-on" quietly every so often when there's nobody about. At least, I think those were the words. I am sure his work will continue to affect people long into the future. My condolences to his family and friends.
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something occured to me with regard to donations, or rather another way to support the fund in one form or other. I thought about this while I was listening to the sound track to one of my favorite driving games Carmageddon last week. The game of course will not run on my machine now, but at least I can enjoy the music if I plug it in like a standard audio disk.

It was like a 2 fer 1 and thought that was cool of them to have that ability. Anyway, I'd pay extra if I could just knock out two birds with one stone when it comes to other media done this way. My game by its self might be destined for coasterville unless I downgrade, but I get some good music out of it in any case.

Perhaps a few bucks can be destined to bolster Mr. Tidy's fund this way.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had talked to Nick about releasing game related albums for game projects, but this would have been for future projects. He had wanted to do an album of the Starscape music, including a set of remixes, but the rights are now owned by a music buyout company, so we couldn't do anything with them.
HunterXI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, this officially proves it: 2004 was The Year of the Suck.
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We had talked to Nick about releasing game related albums for game projects, but this would have been for future projects. He had wanted to do an album of the Starscape music, including a set of remixes, but the rights are now owned by a music buyout company, so we couldn't do anything with them.

Damn. Well, such is the costs I suppose in the endeavour to feed, cloth and put a roof over one's head.

I wonder if the 2005 release they mentioned on the site will have any proceeds go to that fund. There's something to me about appreciating someone's work and knowing your helping out a good cause at the same time. Not unlike us geeky game developer appreciators Smile

Heck, I'd take any recommendations of any of his music if I knew his family was still getting a piece of that, and not too much that buyout company you mentioned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: