FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Raiden III on PC
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Raiden III on PC Reply with quote

wow, I'm actually looking forward to a game Smile

http://raiden.mossjp.co.jp/pc/Screenshot.htm#
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am looking forward to 3 games
hint hint Laughing

back on topic
**** AWESOME! Twisted Evil

is there any way an american could play this game or will those shellfish japs keep another great game to themselves
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
is there any way an american could play this game or will those shellfish japs keep another great game to themselves

It's a PC game, and it's a shootemup - so even if there's no translation, I'm sure some shmup fanatic somewhere will do a translation of the manual for us. If the original Raiden series are anything to go by, there's not much to learn. Only problem is, the hardware specs seem pretty high- GeforceFX or Radeon9000 and above.

I think I'll buy a new graphics card soon Smile
01d55

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiden II was one of the first games I ever played.

They changed the magnet laser from purple to green and added a new kind of missile, too.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

01d55 wrote:
They changed the magnet laser from purple to green and added a new kind of missile, too.

I hate that magnet laser, I always think it makes the game boring. Raiden 1 was better for me.

The Raiden Fighters series are great too, but again I only really enjoy them with certain ships where the weapons aren't too annoying and the accuracy is up to you.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but the magnet laser is FUN
01d55

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The magnet makes things boring? I always thought of it as a compromise between vulcans and nova: You'll never match the coverage of a full vulcan spread, nor mach the boss-busting power of nova beam, but you'll usually do more damage to the big ships and you can sweep the screen as long as you're free to maneuver.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's just my preference. I (usually) like shoot-em-ups that use one fairly straight laser and don't have pickups. That way nothing else much gets in the way of the 'pure' arcade experience. Ikaruga, DonPachi and DoDonPachi have to be my favourites, and I also love Raiden with the blue laser powered up Smile

The wavy snake laser kills that feeling of you having personally lined up a shot whilst dodging the enemy hail of fire; which is what I love in shmups.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i prefer gunroar where you can drive in one direction and shoot in another
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
well i prefer gunroar where you can drive in one direction and shoot in another

Yeah, I like that too - it's the accuracy of the aiming being down to the player that is important to me. Homing weapons should really be secondary weapons. That's just me though Smile

If you like gunroar, you should try out Mutant Storm if you haven't already (best with a dual stick pad). Although I actually prefer PomPom's first game, Space Tripper myself...
01d55

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Yeah, it's just my preference. I (usually) like shoot-em-ups that use one fairly straight laser and don't have pickups. That way nothing else much gets in the way of the 'pure' arcade experience. Ikaruga, DonPachi and DoDonPachi have to be my favourites, and I also love Raiden with the blue laser powered up Smile

The wavy snake laser kills that feeling of you having personally lined up a shot whilst dodging the enemy hail of fire; which is what I love in shmups.

If that's the case, I'd think what you'd really hate is the full vulcan spread - you can just sit at the back of the screen and hit everything. With the snake laser, you gotta at least touch each target once - although if you work it, you can lock on a strong target and bend it around the screen, sweeping the weaklings. This most useful against bosses that spawn smaller, destructable turrets.

And really, for me just avoiding the boss' attacks is challenge enough! I'd never dream of using anything other than vulcan in single player.

I notice that Gunroar has an alternate fire mode in the default control setting which is unavailable in any other mode - the "lance." I tried to see if I could find a way to bind the lance attack to mouse 3 in mouse mode, but I'm only partway through an introductory Java course, and this thing is written in a language I've never heard of elsewhere.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

01d55 wrote:
If that's the case, I'd think what you'd really hate is the full vulcan spread

Yeah, I don't like that either. Anyway, it's just a personal preference, I'm not saying I think it's a design flaw or anything. Smile

01d55 wrote:
and this thing is written in a language I've never heard of elsewhere.

Poo Bear has mentioned D before on these forums I think. At least, if he hasn't, he's talked about it a lot to me. Looks like a logical step for C++ programmers, and there's a couple of indie developers using it- I think Kai Backman mentions it a fair bit in his blog.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulcan full spred is anoying in a VSS

but i love the ion3s in starscape

can you tell me why
01d55

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:

Well, for me, that bit about dodging the hail of fire occupies all of my attention. Looking at the enemy is asking to get shot.

The new red missiles seem to be weakly guided - they have a constant forward accelleration, and then a variable lateral accelleration that lines them up with enemies ahead - I imagine they'll be stronger that the green homing missiles but weaker than the yellow dumb missiles. This means that, in my mind, the red rockets are like the green laser, just like yellow rockets ~= blue laser and homing missiles ~= vulcan spread.

I also notice that they dispenced with the cluster bomb / normal bomb duality, which is fine with me. As far as I could tell, the clusters were just like normal except worse.
James

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
icarus wrote:

It's a PC game, and it's a shootemup - so even if there's no translation, I'm sure some shmup fanatic somewhere will do a translation of the manual for us. If the original Raiden series are anything to go by, there's not much to learn. Only problem is, the hardware specs seem pretty high- GeforceFX or Radeon9000 and above.

I think I'll buy a new graphics card soon Smile

PS2 version is out in the UK in a few weeks for 15 quid:

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=search&searchtype=allproducts&searchstring=Raiden+III&page=search&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: