FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Mister Robot Toys?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr.Robot View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Mister Robot Toys? Reply with quote

Can you make Mr. Robot toy?

If you can, I want!!!

Would any person else?

***-_Very Happy_- ***
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would i would
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that would be cool. Especially a little articulated robot with light up eyes!

I actually spent a bit of time looking into having figures made for Starscape. I know a guy who is a fantastic sculptor, so we could get the models made, but I don't know enough about the casting/moulding painting process to see if it is worthwhile.

It was more for my own personal gratification, but I thought if I was going to look into it, I would try and see if there was a way to get a limited run made. There are ways to even vac-form plastic yourself for about 2-$300 worth of equipment outlay. That would probably be the best way to keep costs down.

Anyway, I keep looking out for ways to do it, but I'm still learning about the process. If anyone sees any good sites let me know!
Flumpaphone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be lovely! I would really like a complete set of Starscape figurines.

A Mr Robot metal toy would be great too - have you noticed how nobody makes metal toys any more Sad
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yah everyone uses plastic

but a set of starscape action figures would rock
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best way to do it would be:

• Get the sculpture made using appropriate materials (that green stuff)
  • Pay for a proffesional mould to be made (there's some pretty cool people doing this at reasonable prices)
  • Buy the vacuum moulding equipment, and produce figurine sets in small batches.
  • Hand paint with plasticising paints. I could get my Mum to do this - she has experience in production line painting, so she'd probably be able to knock them out to a really high quality.

Only problem is, I don't really understand the process at the vacuum mould manufacturing end. I know it's possible though.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you made figurines would they be action figures or statues
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'd probably have to be more like statues - kinda like the stuff Todd McFarlane does. It would be worth investigating some way of adding articulated joints though (maybe like the old star wars figures) - if it was possible then that would be better I think.

I love the idea of an all metal Mr. Robot toy, but I can't see any easy way to either produce them ourselves, or get them produced. It would be cool to have a poseable desktop version! Maybe with some built in features - like hook him up to your PC via USB and control the direction his built in webcam looks in!! that would rock!

Another option is herobuilder's custom action toys:

http://www.herobuilders.com/custom/index.htm
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These people did a run of 300 - full color vinyl, articulated robots:

http://www.action-hq.com/cgi-bin/action-hq/oth000079.html

so it is possible to do small runs.
Harabek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer the Starscape ships. But that's just me.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well possible action figures would be nice espesaly with ships
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harabek wrote:

Wow! I never thought of that - you are so right, that would be ultra cool. Maybe like the old Star Wars articulated models, with to scale ships.

Having said that, the Aegis would probably be about the size of a car Very Happy
Slyh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Having said that, the Aegis would probably be about the size of a car :D

Make it a beanbag! That would be great! Sitting on the Aegis-beanbag, flying around in the Devastator and fighting off Frigates. *g*
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Harabek wrote:

Wow! I never thought of that - you are so right, that would be ultra cool. Maybe like the old Star Wars articulated models, with to scale ships.

Having said that, the Aegis would probably be about the size of a car Very Happy

you could get away with making a 2ft diameter aegis playset and maybe make boss ships

you could start a whole toy line
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once saw in a collecting catalog, two of the most detailed models I'd ever seen of the Nostromo from the film Alien, and one from the film 2001 a Space Odyssey. They were helluva expensive needless to say.

Anyway, while pondering an idea for an Aegis toy/model, I thought of the Discovery model right away. The model its self was around 3-5 foot long (can't remember, but it did show it resting on cinder blocks for scale) with its center door opened up and pad extended with a smaller model of one of the pod ships resting on it. My geek sensors went off like mad let me tell you, but that was way out of my price range Smile

I was thinking much smaller here of course. The Aegis model could be a little bigger in diameter to a person's hand, but thick enough (a few inches?) to have a runabout/prowler or something peeking out one of its doors.

If you wanted the toy to have a built-in action kind of thing, maybe put a button, incorporated in the bridge module on top to act as a two stage actiony thing...press it, the doors open and the mini-ship inside springs out attached to a plastic rod or something.

Something else I thought about in relation to the Mr. Robot stuff...I'm a big fan of those little smiley people Lego makes for its toy lines. I realize though companies like Lego are probably only going to want to make mass quantity franchised stuff, but just as a kind of guide in terms of scale here. Bout an inch tall with articulated arms, legs and head.

Heck, you could probably have it designed in similar fashion to how they make their little play men with interchangeable head, arms, and legs to make your own "Frankensteins" using pieces from your other figure lineups.

On the other hand, toys with unmoveable parts are just as cool to me. Statuettes n' things with great detail and painted (or not). The 'or not' is a budget argument there. I'd be happy to do my own painting schemes on these things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr.Robot All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: