FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
World of Warcraft
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: World of Warcraft Reply with quote

I've beta tested for World of Warcraft, as the second wave of closed beta testers. It's a great game, and could've been considered complete from the day I started testing it. Wink

Unlike other MMOs, WoW focuses much more on casual play and doesn't force you into grouping. You can join in for an hour and accomplish something. Soloing is very much possible in WoW, and every class is capable of it. For the greater rewards you will have to group up, but that's sort of expected. I played mostly as a priest, and I made it through the levels quite easily on my own.

The action is generally fast paced. Downtime is really kept to a minimum, and as a low level player, you'll be able to recover very fast between fights. Damage is dealt fast, and recovery after fights is also fast. As the melee classes you have bandages to keep your downtime as a matter of seconds, just enough to run to the next monster. They also have food to recover their health quickly. The caster classes have more trouble, most notably the mage, who will need to sit down and drink water occasionally.

Gaining levels is relatively fast. There are three major ways to get XP. One, you can solo and kill monsters over and over again. This is pretty fast, but boring and not the best thing to do. Second, you can complete quests, which are scripted missions that make you explore every last crevice of the world. Quests are a major component of XP, and also provide you with good basic equipment and gold. Thirdly, you can group up and accomplish the group tasks, getting lots of goodies and XP along the way.

Getting decent, livable equipment is pretty easy. Every monster in WoW is capable of getting you equipment that you need to advance. There are professions that can make you decent equipment at any time. Quests provide you with a bare minimum of good stuff, and the Auction House is always loaded with decent stuff at fair prices.

World of Warcraft has gone to great lengths to get rid of professional farmers. If you haven't played other MMOs, there were alot of people that made a business dominating world resources and denying them to everyone else. It would force people to buy the goods from them. This has happened in every MMO, and bad cases include specific monsters and dungeon equipment that are absolutely required to advance. The worst case is by destroying the economy with an excess of gold, so any player hoping to trade has to somehow get an insane amount of money, usually by buying it on E-bay. Well anyways, WoW fixes it with:
- instance dungeons. Every player has access to their own, personal dungeon. AFAIK, all instance dungeons require a group to beat the tough fights, and give good group rewards. You will have a boss and monsters dedicated to your group, and no professional farmer can take them from you.
- Spawn on demand. If an area is loaded with players, more monsters will spawn to provide everyone with a decent supply. It's going to be hard to strip-mine a monster zone when they spawn based on demand.
- Lots and lots of mini bosses. These are tougher monsters that you can still solo, and are usually needed for a quest somewhere. Farmers may be able to camp 10 or so, but they can't camp them all. Wink
- Very much shared quests. Ever seen a centaur leader drop 5 heads? Very Happy If you're in a group, you only need to do your quest once, and everyone will get the reward. There are other quest types that still only give solo credit, but those quest resources are everywhere and placed relatively thin. They are best done in your extra time, and not as a main quest.
- Any monster can provide you with equipment that you can use to advance. There won't be any lines to get a necessary item, because no particular monster owns any.
- Many more money sinks. These are being made all the time to cut down on excess funds, so inflation doesn't go insane. Inflation means that you need to get more money, while the monsters still give the same amount, which is bad.
- Probably the most important: The best items can only be gathered from personal effort. They can only be acquired and sold, and not traded. That means you gotta go into the dungeon and kill that big guy to get the legendary sword you've always wanted. MMO retailers can't sell much, because all the best stuff simply can't be sold.
- All the legal stuff. Although this depends on how well Blizzard is going to enforce it. But there are so many things that are an innate part of stopping game ruining tactics, that this is just the icing on the cake.
Bobacles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the long post before.

Not that the game doesn't have it's problems. Most of them are pretty much about the implementation of casters in general. Caster equipment is lacking in versatility and strength. A naked mage at level 60 is not terribly different from a mage fully equipped. Casters, especially mages, have been hit pretty hard before the retail version, from reducing their power and equipment to increasing their downtime and monetary costs considerably.

Priests are lacking in their variety of abilities as well. Other heal-capable classes are made to be just as effective when healing,(to balance the healing powers) but they have a ton of other utility that makes them better and more fun to play. There is little that a priest can do that is more effective and useful than their heals. Because of that, the priest is the only one left to heal. Hopefully the priest will get more protective powers that require direct interaction with fights, and abilities that are more powerful than simple healing.

Other than that the classes are very unique and well balanced. There is a true difference between the 9 classes in WoW, and there are three lines of study to further personalize each class.

I could never really do this game justice, though. I'm more of a details person, and surely have missed 90% of the game. I think it's a great game with a lot going for it, and it solves alot of problems that plagued previous MMOs. If you aren't really a hardcore gamer and like to play from time to time, give this game a try. If you're hardcore and a bit masochist, it also provides lots of interesting stuff for you, though probably not as much as Everquest would.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobacles wrote:
Sorry for the long post before.

Don't apologise! It's interesting for us: we are in the UK and so have to wait for the European servers (as ever!)

I really admire the art direction that WoW has had. There aren't any major technical achievments that I've noticed (we've been watching lots off videos of the game here Very Happy ), but what they do have, is really well made, and well textured models. You can see the love and attention that has gone into even the smallest thing.

I have long held the belief that you just can't beat a simple, single texture model, even just vertex lit, if made by a talented artist who puts love into their job. I think WoW proves that perfectly.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personaly i think blizard has bribed all the WOW beata testers to say that it is the greatest game ever

its the only way to explain all the imposably good revews

no game is THAT good

also why not would of starcraft
now thats a game i would play

[EDIT: ok i take that back i did find one neggative revew by searching on google but maby thay are just puting that to throw you off]
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of what you've said I'd say goes for Everquest2 as well, some things I can't confirm or deny as I haven't played it long enough. I gave Everquest1 a try a long time ago and found it very difficult to get into, very complicated, slow and geared up for the total fanatic. I was very surprised to see EQ2 (like WoW) put mmorpgs on their head and actually be fun for casual play and even solo play.

* never having to go without a quest.
* everything looking great (for once).
* fighting actually being interesting.
* healing being quick which generally keeps downtime to a minimum.
* getting a regular supply of useful equipment from monsters and new spells to keep things interesting.
* quests that actually try to tell a story.

Some other nice things in EQ2 that may or may not be in WoW

* you are GIVEN a house (shock) well it's a room in an inn, but it is still yours. You don't have to play for a year to afford it, they even give you a few bits of furniture to put in it to start you off.
* the tutorial actually works and is useful, you don't have to search the net to learn what everyone needs to know.
* all the npc's speak, very wierd walking round town and all the npc's are chatting away.
* if something quest related is somewhere new they actually highlight the path you need to follow to get there. A magical trail appears for you to follow, no need to wander about embarressing yourself asking other players for directions.
* no kill stealing, if I start combat alone nobody else can join in unless I click the "help!!" button and any loot can only be picked up by me. If a group fights then there are no squabbles over loot as each person is given something specific.

Anyway, when WoW comes out in Feb i'm definitely having a go so i've got from now until then to have a good go of EQ2. I definitely like the hand drawn fantasy look of WoW, if nothing else it makes WoW look different. EQ2 has the usual realistic washed out look, still very well done though but I prefer the WoW look.
Bobacles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
* you are GIVEN a house (shock) well it's a room in an inn, but it is still yours. You don't have to play for a year to afford it, they even give you a few bits of furniture to put in it to start you off.
* the tutorial actually works and is useful, you don't have to search the net to learn what everyone needs to know.
* all the npc's speak, very wierd walking round town and all the npc's are chatting away.
* if something quest related is somewhere new they actually highlight the path you need to follow to get there. A magical trail appears for you to follow, no need to wander about embarressing yourself asking other players for directions.
* no kill stealing, if I start combat alone nobody else can join in unless I click the "help!!" button and any loot can only be picked up by me. If a group fights then there are no squabbles over loot as each person is given something specific.

Anyway, when WoW comes out in Feb i'm definitely having a go so i've got from now until then to have a good go of EQ2. I definitely like the hand drawn fantasy look of WoW, if nothing else it makes WoW look different. EQ2 has the usual realistic washed out look, still very well done though but I prefer the WoW look.

Well, from what I've seen in the beta:
- WoW doesn't have player housing. All players pretty much sleep at the local inn. Innkeepers will let you sleep at their inn for free. All players have a hearthstone item, which will teleport them to that inn once per hour. It's a very nice way to return to town when you have to log off.
- The tutorial comes in the form of question marks on the bottom of the screen. You click on them to recieve tips and such.
- I've never heard an NPC speak, except for their greetings. Their chat seems to change depending on your race and maybe class. All of the chat is for your client only.
- Pretty much every quest leads somewhere new. All the major zones are marked on the map, and the quests come with written directions. Most of the earlier quests stay in the same zone, so you can't go too wrong.
- WoW also has a tagging system. You tag a monster, the XP and its loot is yours. There is no help button, people can assist you at any time. But you will get a tiny XP penalty, which is noticable if a high lvl player saved your butt. If they kill the monster real fast though, it balances out.
- There are several loot systems to work with, and they work really well. Round-robin loot gives you whole monster loot if its your turn. Group loot gives you a fraction of the total loot. The threshold lets you decide what quality of loot is valuable enough to roll a die on. But the Need before Greed system is sort of odd. Warriors are able to wear all 4 types of armor, so they are given a roll when anything comes up. Casters can only wear cloth, and only get a roll for cloth. I dunno if that's changed since retail, but it's definately something to spam /suggestions about. Wink

Quest-specific items are lootable by everyone in the group, as long as they have the quest. Bosses give enough loot items for the whole group. Normal mobs only give one quest item for one player. These items must be gathered on your own. It helps to team up with people who still need to kill those guys, but are going after a leader or something. Quest-specific loot (stuff that you can sell or use) still follows the group loot rules. I guess it's to stop people from keeping quests around to get a cheap shot at extra loot. Not to worry, the quests are kinda rare, and you can trade the items at any time, so look out for quest package deals. Smile
hair65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: nike shoes and wigs Reply with quote

www.google.com online shopping human hair wigs and nike shoes for discount.wholesale lace front wigs and cheap nike air max shos online.where to buy high quality synthetic wigs and roshe run shoes is a best choice.
human hair wigs
cheap lace front wigs
full lace wigs
lace front wigs
cheap human hair wigs
cheap synthetic wigs
cheap wigs for women
cheap bob wigs
african american wigs cheap
afro wigs cheap
cheap full lace wigs
cheap curly wigs
cheap cosplay wigs
cheap wigs for men
cheap costume wigs
cheap hair extensions

cheap nike shoes
nike air max
nike air max 90
nike air max 90 womens white
white roshes mens
roshes women
cheap air max 90
air max 270 mens
nike air max 1 mens
cheap nikes online
nike sb janoski
nike skateboarding shoes
nike air force one men
nike air force 1 low
black huaraches
nike huarache women
air max 270
air max sale
nike air max sale
air jordan 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: