FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Starscape update/sequel ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok, we were thinking of different things for CTF, but that's cool. I don't see any reason why there couldn't be different aspects at play in any style of a particular game mode.

Some changes could be for performance reasons, others might simply be because of tastes.

Either way, a flag bearer would have to be killed for the flag to be dropped whether its a session where you had designated a player to be the bearer from the get go for your side's flag vs having the flag be a loose item that has to be tractored when you come in proximity to it.

I also wonder about the tractoring dynamics and whether it too should be altered for this kind of play or multiplay in general. For instance once you reach an object, click tractorbeam, it stays on the target without you having to keep the key for it depressed while you drive and shoot.
Tryagain Infinity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well besides a difference in the scale of CTF game there are two ways to play CTF.

1. Get the enemy's flag back to your base before he gets to his base with your flag. It's basically a race and needs only two players at minimum.

2. Get the enemy's flag back to your flag at your base. With this option you need a minimum of 4 players unless you have automated defenses for your flag.

As far as tractoring the flag I think it would be either automatic or manual.

1. Get in range, if no one else is around the beam locks on and away you go.

2. Press the grav beam button and off you go.

Lot's of other options I'm sure.
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tryagain Infinity wrote:
2. Get the enemy's flag back to your flag at your base. With this option you need a minimum of 4 players

Depends on the flag carrying mechanism. In various versions of Descent you only need two players to play CTF... touching your own flag teleports it back to your base. (You can also carry multiple flags.)
Tryagain Infinity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, I was thinking just two kids and two cherry balls.
Raven™

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow there is some really nice ideas here, and before I explain mine, I wanted to ask just how far would the guys at moonpod actually go from the original? Smile

Basically I'd like to see a almost RPG like Starscape. But I'll explain in more detail if it's even a option, no point going on for paragraph after paragraph if it's way to far from realistic prospect.

Btw my idea would be for a full blown sequel not a patch or anything.

Raven™
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Basically I'd like to see a almost RPG like Starscape. But I'll explain in more detail if it's even a option, no point going on for paragraph after paragraph if it's way to far from realistic prospect.

Hasn't stopped me, but then I tend to ramble Smile

Listen, I wouldn't worry about whether your idea has a realistic prospect of making the sequel, so don't let that keep you from expressing it. Never know, ideas that don't make the cut for a Starscape sequel just might spark an idea for a completely different type of game altogether.
Tryagain Infinity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Listen, I wouldn't worry about whether your idea has a realistic prospect of making the sequel, so don't let that keep you from expressing it. Never know, ideas that don't make the cut for a Starscape sequel just might spark an idea for a completely different type of game altogether.

How true.

I was playing Starscape over the weekend and I realized that over 50%( dare I say 75%) of the game is doing research and mining. I spent the first half of the game doing mining and research in Zone 1's danger node. What's worse is I had only 75% of the total research done before I got sick of it and continued on with the game by defeating Zone 1's boss. I think most of the improvements that need to be made first are the ones to research and mining.

On another note, I noticed that if I actively seek out and destroy the capital ships the Zone boss will stop making capital ships, even if there are still freighters out there mining.
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On another note, I noticed that if I actively seek out and destroy the capital ships the Zone boss will stop making capital ships, even if there are still freighters out there mining.

Yeah, this bit is a shame, I rather like going up against miner ships and mine layers and the like. I still think an interesting challenge might be to some how find a way to fight the bad guys in a contested type of node, such as danger nodes. Or the mega asteroid idea Weeble mentioned a few pages back would work as an alternative (or addition even).

This is why I also would like to see improvements not just in bad guy behavior but also its approach to mining as well as liberal use of tractor beams as we might in say danger nodes.

i.e. use tractor beams to slow and stop encroaching snake eggs and asteroids, then proceed to carefully mine one at a time. Knowing the enemy, I'd expect them to enter a node like this in force, and while their mother mining ship is doing its careful thing, the drones could be bumping eggs your way or visa versa. If mine layers are present, I'd have it so their mines naturally avoid the eggs, and target you or rogue snakes just to balance things a tad.

The enemy drones could be playing standoff initially until a small percentage of eggs are out of their path towards your station. I don't know how hard it'd be to tweak enemy behavior for specific node reasons, but I just find it an interesting exercise to discuss how you or them could use the battlefield to your advantage.
Tryagain Infinity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One addition I'd like to see would be a repulser beam/asteroid gun. It works like a tractor beam in that it keeps an asteroid in front of your fighter. The difference is when you release the grav beam key (default R key) the asteroid is launched at a high velocity away from you. Why not be able to throw enemy drones, fighters, frigates, missiles back at your foes. Twisted Evil

In regular mining you could launch asteroids at the Aegis and have its drills and scoops carve them up. Naturally you would need a scoop for the Aegis that slows down these hot rodding rocks. Wink
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, kinda underlines the need for progressively better scoop/drill/tractor/repulse beam improvements that do different things. Number one would probably be better turret reactions along the way (or 3 or 4 depending how you view tech tree improvement order).

I don't think the repulse beam should do damage by its self, but like you said, could be used as a tool to shove someone or something into something that will take collision damage. Or simply disorient the enemy or you if you're caught in an enemy's beam briefly. The graphic of a unit under this influence could be spinning wildly around while being pushed by the beam.

Imagine not just eggs being shoved our way, but asteroids, gems, mines. The first three I'd reckon would be neutral movable objects, but I'd think that something like mines ought to be an owned exception. i.e. you could push mines into a bad guy if they were your mines. I threw in gems as an afterthought, I mean, if your turret reactions aren't up to the challenge, means more stuff that collide.
Tryagain Infinity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a neat little minigame that the player could fight between zones or as a new kind of survival mode. When you jump into the area an enemy freighter will use a repulser beam to launch everything but the kitchen sink at you.

One addition that would make things interesting is that between the Aegis and the freighter is some sort of obstacle (a black hole or a repulser field generated by the freighter) that prevents direct conflict with normal weaponry. You need to gather the necessary minerals from the objects thrown at you to keep you and the Aegis alive.

Then once you have your own repulser beam via research (if you don't already have one) you can launch objects back at the enemy freighter.

I'd like to see development of other useful tools like the repulser beam.
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sorta how I view the beam too, more as a tool than a weapon.

Interesting you brought up the term minigame, maybe there's something to that. Perhaps even its one where you need certain tools or weapons designed for it only (if that approach seems more practical). Could be just to uncover a secret, an entire zone to explore independent of any required to achieve victory, maybe its a plot device, or perhaps some sort of Boss-B-Gone product.
Darklight1313

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Drone Upgrades Reply with quote

An easy idea I had that I have not seen on this thread would be to have an upgraded version of your ships drones that will track and fire on the nearest enemy automatically like the Aegis turrets do. From what I understand it should not be too hard to do and would be nice to have the drones say... shooting the small fry off your tail as you are doing a flyby.

For balance they should be something like 2x1, with one version for each type.

And one more on this idea would be a grav beam drone that does the same thing and doubles as a cargo pod, again for when you are on the move it grabs the loot while you go.

One other idea I saw that deserves I think a repeat mention is some kind of bigger, charge main gun. Only comes in 2x2 size and needs to be charged to fire, but packs almost as much power as the Aegis main cannon. Would be a nice crowning touch to some ships and could be a lot of fun. Upgraded versions (2-4) would pack a bit more power, something like from cannon 1 to cannon 2, and a faster charge rate, so as long as you have the power supply you can charge and fire pretty quick.
Zippo342

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only problem I can see with these suggestions is you would need to associate these with a fire button. Powermanagement exists only for your ship, not for the Aegis, so an autofire turret that fires no matter what would make it impossible at times to say... charge your shields or what not.
Inane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super awesome hulls.
Like... Twice as big as the devastator. And like... A slot or two for Aegis turrets.
Also, maybe some unique technology thats hard to get. Like, you need to get some really rare cargo from one of those gravity ships, and once you research and fit it to your ship, enemy missiles and ships are kind of pushed away once they get too close to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: