FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Starscape update/sequel ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a little white dot in the middle of the node if you've aready been there.
mowfax

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhhhh never recognized it XD
Thanx a lot ^^''''

[edit]

Well... now that I saw it... how could I NOT see it? Shocked
Ummm... whatever.... Razz
LT. JamesWolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These all sound pretty good, I like the ideas of wingmen and automated mining. Here's some of my ideas:
1. I think the mining vessel is a pretty good idea, in Space Empires IV my economy depended on leaving mining vessel floating in asteroid betlts for years at a time.
2. The evolving RPG, Elder Scrolls style for your character
3. Give us a character! Let's have the protaganist more than just some excuse for other charaters to say stuff.
4. AN Aegis vs. Boss shootout. If anyone's played Starlaner I remember a section where you, your squadro and your cap ship take on this massive battleship. So there's you and the flyboys darting everywhere shooting down fighters, torp bombers and torpedoes while the two massive cap ships are slugging it out with ach other. Maybe they could do somethig like that with Aegis and you flying around picking off other stuff while Aegis destroys the boss.
Chibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LT. JamesWolf wrote:
Maybe they could do somethig like that with Aegis and you flying around picking off other stuff while Aegis destroys the boss.

This won't always work, especially on bosses that have certain strong and weak points. They say it when you enter the first boss fight. With the Aegis in that much trouble, (and it doesn't repair itself unless you're onboard AND you've got the spare minerals) then Aegis is better off hyperspaced outside the sector. And the Turrets/Canons are not selective about what they're shooting at. They normally target dead-center on the closest/largest enemy. So the Aegis hits the boss nowhere near the weak/accessible spot, wasting it's firepower, and the boss targets the aegis with it's megacannon and *wham* you lose the game. In a snap.
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like the idea of an Aegis only boss. Maybe somehting that only has bits the Aegis can blast off it - and you have to keep the fighters off its back.
Chibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
I quite like the idea of an Aegis only boss. Maybe somehting that only has bits the Aegis can blast off it - and you have to keep the fighters off its back.

I was just thinking of drones that you could attach to the aegis, that would orbit around it (over and under, perhaps?) and they would repair the aegis with repair beams as long as it wasn't entering hyperspace and there were minerals left... You could maybe attach up to... well, I dunno, 3 or 5 maybe... Oh, one for each mineral! Call them... Emerald, Topaz, and Amethyst. The drones, not the minerals. And Emerald will only use Mineral 1, Topaz will only use Mineral 2... And see, they would only get destroyed if the aegis took too much damage (and then, only if they were deployed).

Anyhow, those might help in such a boss fight. Could you call the aegis away from it's attack run? =) "Get me outta here mister wizard!"
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
2_Late

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a few idea wile thinking about Mr.Robot, Instead making something entirely new why not just combine existing ideas. Make the scoop/drill one turret that switches between the two functions, or a turret, one level below the best you have, that can attack,scoop, and drill? I wouldn't think the AI for it would be too difficult. It fire on enemies when it see them, If there are no enemy's it scoops up ore, and if there is no ore it shoots asteroids.

Maybe a cannon that maintained a 360degree scoop around the Aegis and also the power to target with more then one mining laser also, in a 360 arc.

Maybe port the PDA interface from Mr.Robot over and have a finner control Aegis("Go mine <that>, Patrol the area, Kill them, etc.) I'd still love to see Aegis shields or maybe a seed that grew into a baby Aegis that could mine for me, but I think the scoop ideas would be easier to do.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hybrid scoop/drill is a nice idea, I like things that both sound like they would be cool and are easy to implement Smile
Inzoum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of things that would add more possibilities, yet without making the game play by itself (I'm opposed to the automated mining pod, but all in favor for more upgrades)...

Think of Robotech (or just Macross for the purists), how the SDF-1 developped a Pin-Point Barrier System using the dimensional shift left in place of the vanished Hyperspace Fold engine. The way I see it, this is how it could work:

Aegis Pin-Point Shield Emitter
- Fixed on a corner attachment pod
- Produces a 45 arc, centered on the attached corner, that shields the Aegis against incomming projectiles
- The shield arc can rotate around its attached corner something like 120 in order to cover a different part of the corner depending on the direction ennemy fire is comming from. The shield arc is unable to cover the whole corner, but is mobile and will orient itself to block the biggest threat.
- The shield arc can be disrupted under heavy fire, and will require a brief instant to recover, making it possible for ennemy fire to penetrate (we don't want an invincible Aegis)
- One Pin-point Shield Emitter can be attached to each corner, effectively protecting 50% of the Aegis's circumference, in variable positionning

PROS:
- Possible to protect up to 50% of the Aegis's circumference with 4 attached Pin-Point Shield Emitters
- Adds the possibility of new strategies involving shield/firepower balance or Aegis-positionning (relative to shield emitter emplacement)
- Gives the Aegis a better chance of surviving boss battles in case of necessary "summon"
- Gives the Aegis a chance of shrugging off small fry

CONS:
- Can never protect the entire space station
- Cuts away from Aegis's firepower
- Less effective under spread-out fire (shield can't cover everything)
- Can be penetrated by heavy/piercing fire

This feels like a balanced addition that could vary the game experience a little Smile

Possible upgrades (if any, up to you):
- Wider arc
- Faster movement
- More resistance under heavy fire
Tryagain Infinity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Aegis Pin-Point Shield Emitter

Very complex idea and difficult to make. Here is a challenge, try and think of the simplest fix to the problem as possible.

"The more they overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." ~ Scotty in Star Trek 3.

Edit: Keep in mind also that the SDF-1's pin-point barrier was a opportunistic and a temporary solution.
Inzoum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That it was, but most of Starscape's technology is opportunistic as well Wink as for being temporary, well, you could say they can't exactly harness shield technology to the Aegis's scale (works fine for a small ship though), or that the Aegis doesn't have sufficient power output for that.

As for being difficult to make, well, it's basically a conic object much like the tractor beams, only solid, combined with the regular turret targetting (or an improvement of the system)... a lot of the systems involved are already in place in one system or another...
Tryagain Infinity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both true and plausible, however; even the SDF-1 got a full fledged shield system. The pin point barrier is a stepping stone technology and eventually becomes a backup, precursor, or enhancement to a full shield system. It's a pro vs. con issue as to what to systems to use to protect your fighters and stations.

On the flip side you need to think about how easy or hard a system is to code into Starscape. We don't want to overtax the Moonpod team do we?
Inzoum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely on not overtaxing Moonpod Smile I'm not sure on the difficulty of implementing it though, I dont' hold the original code (obviously), but it's still an idea I find cool, and try not to think too much about how the technology evolved for the SDF-1, it's a starting point... Starscape's universe is a whole new world, with a different storyline, that could do with a different explanation or development, but with a pleasant reference to a classic sci-fi cartoon Smile
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't sweat the free flow of ideas here guys. Let the developers decide where this content would fit better; update vs next game. So lets hear some more.
Inane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is...
Starscape 2 should have multiplayer (Probably been said, but I don't want to read 5 pages of replies just to find it.)

Should I bother composing a page long thing on this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: