FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Starscape update/sequel ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kajamakuji wrote:
Here is a simple idea but i think it would add nicely. Ship color customization. A simple little thing but it makes the ship feel so much more like yours if its black with red streaks, or electric blue with grey patterns. (possible for the aegis too?)

I think this has some worthwhile applications insofar as if the sequel had some LAN if not Multiplayer integration to differentiate teams or individuals. Even if not, there's just something about coming up with skins you can apply that's always neat on its own merit. Might also be something cool to do with the score tables n' such, best player scores along with their best ship they used with its funky paint schemes.

Quote:
mining pod
1. costs a fortune to build.
2. is added to the Aegis launch menu.
3. you can launch it or recall it.
4. it holds as much as the Aegis.
5. once recalled it acts as a cargo extension for the Aegis so you don't waste the extra resources if you are full up.
6. once launched it slowly sucks out al the resources from the asteroids leaving them as dull grey husks.
7. it alerts you when it is attacked, but only if you are int eh rgid at the time.
8. it cannot defend itself but is very strong, converting resources it has gathered into energy to repair itself. So you should have time to get back to it.
9. it's so big it only just fits through the docking port.

possible upgrades
1. add weapons to it.
2. add shields to it.
3. construction capability, you can make a list of things you want it to make and leave it to get on with it (this is probably a bad idea)

I was playing again today after not playing for a good while (I found it helped to get into it again while thinking about improvements). Looking back on this thread an this list here, I think it encapsulates the mining issues really well in retrospect.

Just some random thoughts I had looking it over again: On the 3rd point under upgrades, if there's construction ability at all I wonder if it would be best if it had only one secondary ability besides mining or instead of it. i.e. Choose its role. I like the pod idea a lot and was thinking of other ways it might be useful.

1) Mining (as already discussed)
    2) Trade - pile in whatever the party might need or has requested (from parts, to fighter hulls, raw gems, found crew of theirs, or even information) and use it as one of the delivery methods.
    3) Mine layer - basically acts just like the enemy AI's mine layer in the first game, it lays mines and tries to replace them as they get destroyed until it gets destroyed or leaves (you ordered it away).
    4) Turrets - Basically the only construction one I might like as a minimum, and approaching the first abandoned Xen station in Zone 1 made me think of a scenario for it - a station needs retaken and needs things to be functional again with your help. Might be a good delaying mission to use it just for the mission to help them do what they have to do before its finally abandoned. Or just nix construction all together and call it a "repair pod" or some such.

One last thing I was pondering when I was examining possible trade elements, was the thought that an ally might want fighter hulls from you. If the idea was to somehow incorporate the occasional friendly ship to help you, I had another brainstorm relating to this...That the characteristics of the ships used by them would reflect the kind of tech they traded to you.

i.e. You gave the Xen a Prowler while in Zone 1. It pops in to a random node within that Zone while you were busy fighting and you notice it has Shield 1, Zone 2, you notice the ship you gave them there had Ions, Zone 3, the ship had drones attached, Zone 4 ship had nova bombs, and the one you gave to the one in Zone 5 had beams.

Just something I thought seemed neat, that each grouping of Xen that managed to help with a ship had characteristics reflective of the Zone you found them and their tech in. Any other weapons it might have or need in each Zone I think could be relied on you to supply.
2_Late

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only just started playing, but my two cents?

If you are going to go though the trouble of making a drone and AI for it I suggest you upgrade the Aegis's AI first. I'd drool over the power to tell Aegis "Sick 'em!" I'd settle for the station being able to detect if it had a drill & scoop mounted, and then fly around the node mining stuff as it sees fit. It tears though the asteroids I park it next to when it has both of those equipped.

I'd thank you kindly for a drone, but if your going to do that I think it should be more of a portable seed then a drone. When the (drone/seed) and Aegis's holds are filled to the brim you have the option, next time it's deployed, to upgrade it to a autonomies mini-barge. With it's own turret(s), shield, and jump drive. Maybe with some little mini-docks on the top and bottom for some min-attack drones that it can build from an ore surplus, so it can better defend it's self.

With a jump drive it can move to another node when the one itís in is drained dry. Then when it's full it can either wait for you or come over to you and unload its cargo before returning to mining on it's own.

Edit: If you really want to go all out you could make a remote control design screen from the bay control. Then control what it constructs from its ore surplus, like itís own ordinance, drones, turrets, and extra equipment. Even have the thing only build half done when it's first deployed, and control what it finishes building on it's own first.

On a side note, just a mining strategy to speed things up, use missile to blast the medium and large asteroids to bits. If you leave the small one free floating they are good cover, and instead of going after them one at a time, if youíve ignored them until now, you can take them all out at once with the blaster's charged attack.
Lokť

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only really about halfa dezon things bugging me about Starscape, and these aren't major gripes either...

1. More upgrades for Aegis. When I first got the shield upgrade, I automatically wondering if I could tak one onto the Aegis too.

2. Asteroid fields. It'd be nice to have really thick 'walls' of asteroids you'd have to blast your way through. (EDIT for clarification: That is to say, a huge wall of asteroids blocking you off from part of that node's area, forcing you to blast through it to actually be able to get to the other side)

3. Ramming? Picking up on a previous post, it would be fun to have a ship with extra armour plating on the front, so you could just ram things and be done with it.

4. And on the subject of ramming, more enemy ship varieties. Barring a bigger gun and a bit more armour, the enemy ships in each zone are pretty much identical.

5. This is my personal 'beef' if you will; some kind of shotgun style weapon. This is just me, really; I have a soft spot for getting out a shotgun in computer games, getting right up to the so-and-so and showing him *exactly* what I think of him!

6. Chargeing weapons. Things vaguely like the beam lasers, but more... well. The easiest example I can think of is something like the Aegis' cannon; a mini version of that. There's no weak rapid fire shooting mode. If you wanna use it, you have to charge up a shot before you can fire it. Naturally, it'd put a fair drain on the ol' generator, and pack a real wallop.

Edit again: Shaping to be more than half a dozen ideas...

7. unique hulls and/or equipment from salvaging or trading.

Edit yet again (sheesh)
8: Just noticed it while playing; when you fly backwards you fire retros, when you fly forward you fire the engines, but if you rotate, nothing. Perhaps add some retros to the sides of the ships for when you turn?
Pkunk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this, if the Aegis is equipped with scoops and there is equipment floating nearby scoop it up the way it does with gems.

If the holds are at 100% why not create an "Ingot" equipment type that the crew could build from the excess ressources that could be put into the stores. That way, the ship could keep on mining when it is at 100% and the ingots could be converted back to ressources when needed. We could have an ingot for each type of ressource.
Shagazar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: deleted because someone else posted the same idea.
The Dark Bunny

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my wishlist so far:

~A tech *tree* rather than a linear progression. Half the fun of research is getting the uber-weapon at the end. Multiple-prerequisite technologies tend to make things more interesting.

~More Aegis upgrades. Shields, armor plating, better engines, that kind of thing. Maybe even minelaying. And cargo expansions. Must have the cargo expansions.

~An AI interface for the Aegis. I'll be the first to admit that this would be an almighty [dog of the female persuasion] to implement, but I like the idea of being able to set behaviors on the fly. Things like "mine until you have X of Y resource," "if health reaches X%, repair up to Y%, or until Z minerals remain," "avoid enemy capital ships," "when ship reaches X health, move toward it," and other things in the vein.

~Make the radar screen fully opaque. I'll admit the semitransparent effect is neat, but white stardust through a black background tends to show up as little asteroids where little asteroids aren't.

~Multiple-hop navigation for grid travel. Just a shortest-path-between-two-nodes thing. Prioritize for safety when faced with multiple equal-length paths, maybe?
01d55

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, resource conversion please. There's nothing more annoying than having a full bar of mineral 2 while mineral 1 is empty, and finidng even more mineral 2.
Shad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^-- resource conversion would have to be made a late-game tech, otherwise if converting resources from A to B was easy, you've just removed any difference between the 3 resources and there might as well be just one type...

i'll admit having one thing maxed and another empty(*cough* purple *cough*) is annoying, but i feel it's realistic...
No.118

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps an inefficient resource conversion?

So say you've got 10 of resource A gives you 9 of resource B, and 10 of resource B gives you 9 of resource A?

That way you've still got differentiation between different resource types, but in an emergency you can switch one to another?
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it'd work better to use resource conversion as something the station does automatically akin to it using excess minerals to repair its self and your fighters. Only now, if that isn't a need at a particular moment and R&D is taking place, let it convert what it can as it can so that there's always some room in the station's gem collector bins.

Meanwhile your not thinking about something else you'd have to control, your still pretty much busy blasting stuff and mining.
Shad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.118 wrote:
Perhaps an inefficient resource conversion?

I quite like this idea, but I would make the conversion costs *much* steeper, along the order of 10 of A converts to 3 of B... but I guess I'm a masochist like that... Very Happy
BobTheGoldfish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[EDITED to make more sense]
Here's what I'm thinking about right now...

The known universe watched as the Aegis research mission went awry. Only the Aegis crew knew what happened to them. The crew was presumed dead shorty after their disappearance when all subspace communications failed. When the Aegis retuened the two largest competing companies rivaling the Stardrive Research Institute merged into one. With Maya Rendon dead the stock prices of the Stardrive Research Institute plummeted and they were bought out by the new merger. The resulting company focused on weapons and defense research and production quickly favored a rebel faction that was opposed to the Earth Security Force's diplomacy tactics. The opposition was caused by the ESF's lack of involvement in a conflict that caused the destruction of the homeworld of company's CEO. While the ESF vastly outnumbered the new rebel faction they were reliant on them for the majority of their fleet's purchases and repairs. Most of the training for the ESF were also handled by the company due to increasing complexity in their design. Upon the return of the protagonists the Aegis's computer systems were hacked into by the company; data from the Xenarchs and Arachnids were stolen. The data was transmitted to remote planets that the faction had factories and labs in shortly before the faction's center of operations was destroyed by the ESF. The attack on the lab came without warning and violated ESF protocol. The ESF claimed that the denial of thier needed armanants pointed to an attack by the faction and merrited the preemptive strike.
This Scenario would supply the crew with numerous enemies both the faction and the ESF. New techologies would become availible this time from the faction... but they won't give it up lightly. The faction is defending thier bases tightly and has become hostile to those piloting the familiar metal for ships/black for uniforms and blues. Ships would have to be painted either with reds for safe travel with the faction or blues for safe travel with the ESF. Both the ESF and Faction occupy many of the same maps. Destroying too many of the reds or blues will tilt your alliances with either side. Reds will offer greater technology rewards but the blues more numerous materials since it's technology they lack instead. EMP blasts will diasable enemy ships for you to recover and scrap but the pilots will escape and grant you greater enemity with the targeted faction (even more so if you destroy thier escape pods!). Unpiloted ships will be heavily targeted by the offended side and you will have to move the Aegis into dock position quickly to reap the rewards. The Aegis con hold only 5 hulls total - if you capture a sixth hull then the Aegis will be forced to either jestison your resources or stock the ships equipment. In addition some captured ships will be able to fit in the Aegis whose hulls are too large for the Aegis to build or even fully repair, they can however be outfitted. These ships would take up 2 hull spaces and host many slots.

In the end players must choose one of three options.
1>Assist the ESF's suppression and eventually the destruction of the Faction believing that the Faction posed a great threat.
2>Assist the Faction's defense against the ESF for thier abuse of power; eventually overhtrowing the ESF to become the new force responsible for keeping peace in the galaxy.
3>Embark on missions that satisfy the needs of both groups to equalize thier power and ultimately thier merger with better technology and better policies.

Advancing down either of the first two paths will cause the opposing group to make more hasty choices driving either the ESF toward bullying other races for ships/repairs or the Faction developing superweapons based upon Max Von Braun's theories. This will make either choice here the right one as the enemy becomes corrupt. The ESF path rewards a variety of options in ships while the Faction offers fewer yet stronger options that are harder to manage.

The third path will lead the two parties to a alliance against the retuning Archnid. Both sides will help your battle, however the ESF will not have as many ships as they would as a bully and the Faction will have less technology.

Last edited by BobTheGoldfish on Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
The Dark Bunny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm... How far along have you gotten in the game? If you've beaten Zone 1, you'll know by now that not all of the bridge crew make it back.
BobTheGoldfish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, i beat the game... several months ago though.

I watch too much sci-fi anyway. I'm not used to seeing all the main characters die off... permanantly at least. Even when they do die there's a bunch of time-travel/alien resurrection oddities that brings them back. Sometimes in a different body, sometimes in a machine.

Anyway it was really late for me, about 28 hours after I normally go to sleep. I check the site here every now and then to see what's up.

>>EDIT<<

OK, I just wen't through zone 1 again, I spent most of the game in zone 4+5 blowing stuff up and reloading. It never hit me that the zone 1 boss was part of the main bridge crew because all I recalled from that is that was that it was a woman from a lifeboat. I never went back to the game after reading the starscape wiki. The majority of my ideas stemmed more from the wiki and playstlye of the game than the plot within the game itself.
kicker2005

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds awesome.

on the topic of resource conversion. maybe while in the aegis, convert 10 of resA to 5 of resB. but, u can go to a trading outpost (xenarch maybe) to go from 10resA to 8 resB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: